UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed that the TMNT blind bag description says "Sold at comic shops, specialty stores, Kmart, Sears and Toys "R" Us." It's great that Minimates are going to be available in more retailers, but to me Kmart and Sears seem like two of the worst places for Minimates to be sold. Maybe 20-25 years ago they would have been good places for Minimates to be sold(when they both actually had customers), but both businesses are on the downward slope of their existence and I'm really surprised both are still open. I honestly can't remember the last time I went to either retailer(easily more than 10 years ago) and didn't even know Sears sold toys other than out of the catalog. Does the Sears catalog exist anymore?

These look great! I will definitely be picking these up at the Con. The unfortunate thing is that I thought I was going to be able to get away with not buying the translucent Raph, but now I am going to want them all!gah.gif

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Minimates Series 1: The cast of the animated series has been transformed into a series of 2 -inch block figures as part of the wide-ranging Minimates brand. Each figure in the line features interchangeable parts as well as their trademark weapons. Characters include the four Turtles, April O'Neil, Shredder, Foot Soldiers, Foot-Bot, Kraang and Exo-Armor Kraang and are available in blind bags and two-packs. Sold at comic shops, specialty stores, Kmart, Sears and Toys "R" Us."

(From the DST press release on the website)

Clapping%20Hands.gifClapping%20Hands.gifClapping%20Hands.gif

Edited by CBMM1

Noticed that the TMNT blind bag description says "Sold at comic shops, specialty stores, Kmart, Sears and Toys "R" Us." It's great that Minimates are going to be available in more retailers, but to me Kmart and Sears seem like two of the worst places for Minimates to be sold.

Clearly, you have never been to the Gulp-and-Go off of I-80.

Noticed that the TMNT blind bag description says "Sold at comic shops, specialty stores, Kmart, Sears and Toys "R" Us." It's great that Minimates are going to be available in more retailers, but to me Kmart and Sears seem like two of the worst places for Minimates to be sold.

Clearly, you have never been to the Gulp-and-Go off of I-80.

While I haven't had the pleasure of patronizing that particular establishment, I do think gas stations would be better outlets for blind bag Ninja Turtles than Kmart and Sears would be. Where I live, they're both struggling to stay afloat in a sea of Walmart and Targets. Maybe in other parts of the country Kmart and Sears are thriving retailers, but if they're anything like here then they'll be lucky to be open for another year. Of course any exposure for the Minimates brand is a good thing and I really hope this leads to other retailers carrying Minimates in the future.

I agree. All the K-Marts in my area shut down. There is one Sears in a mall near my house, but the store is incredibly run down and messy. As you said though, I am sure these will thrive in other places and expand the brand.

I think my point is that there are clearly, by any way you measure it, a billion worse places to sell Minimates than a national chain of stores with 4,000 locations, the tenth largest retailer in the U.S. But I hope we eventually pick up some retailers that pass muster for you all. ;)

And while I was joking about the Gulp and Go, I have to wonder if a chain of gas stations would be a good place to sell Minimates. How many kids go into gas stations? Or adults, now that you can pay at the pump? I've seen toy trucks and cars for sale in some, I think, but not recently, and that's a far more universal toy purchase.

Edited by DSTZach

I would say no to gas stations, and yes to grocery stores. Think of all the parents who are dragging their kids around all day. The kids are tired and grouchy. The parents are in the checkout line, and want anything to shut the kid up. The kid sees a box of Minimates. "I want one." The parent buys one. The kid is happy. You have a new customer! biggrin.png

I haven't seen a K-Mart in ages. Too bad they won't be sold in Winn Dixie. I shop there at least twice a week! . . .yep, the future of Minimates is Winn Dixie, mark my words.

I would say no to gas stations, and yes to grocery stores.

Same here.

I know a lot of people who eat and many of them frequent grocery stores.

What about Minimates vending machines in restrooms? Most of the people I know who eat also poop and many of them use public restrooms to do so. It's practically a captive audience.