UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

Yeah, I quit JLU for similar reasons. (Scarcity and the fact that most of the figure couldn't stand up!)

And while I'm happy that Turtles will be available at more outlets, it doesn't really address the issue of exclusives, something many retailers will want if the line takes off. But I don't see myself being a completist for Turtles as much as I was for Walking Dead. I'll probably collect key characters and move on to the next line.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "I can't get the TRU Minimates right now, so I'm not going to buy the LCS assortment," I guess I interpret that as "now or nothing." Otherwise you'd buy what you CAN get now, and buy the rest later. Right? I wasn't trying to paint anybody as an extremist.

Two sets are heavy-packed, and two sets are made in smaller quantities. That's just how the line is planned out. The first series did much better than we anticipated, and Glenn and Shane turned out to be TV fan favorites, so the exclusives sold out quickly. Series 2 had the pet zombies, and turned out to be the same story. But Series 3 and 4 I didn't think posed many problems. And Series 5 seems to have just been caught up in the Minimates reset at TRU. I don't think their rarity represents a new reality for stores or online. I assume more will turn up at some point, but two sets will still be more rare than the others.

As I said in another thread, if you get no enjoyment out of collecting a line with what you would consider regular problems, then you have to do what you have to do.

It's not so much "now or nothing" as much as "all or nothing." I got such a bad vibe from the beginning of The Walking Dead Minimates that, for the very first time, I started collecting a toy line while considering selling it off in the future out of frustration. Like Hellpop said above, I've been through similar experiences and know it'll be easier to unload Series 1 – 4 than it would be to unload Series 1 – 4 and half of 5. As with comics, it's easier to sell/trade a complete run.

And like you said, my motto has always been that when a line is more frustrating than fun to collect, it's time to bounce. I know TWD has largely been a victim of circumstances and I've patiently waited to see if things got better. Series 3 and 4 were relatively easy but 1, 2, and now 5 have not been so it seems this is my cue. Hopefully other lines won't have these issues because I really, really like Minimates.

I jumped off of JLU when I realized that the 75+ figures I had would all never stand under their own power. I wanted to be able to display a huge range of the DC universe, it's hard to do that when they are all laying in a drawer.

I didn't realize there were so many JLU fans here. I have a complete JLU collection but boy, what a pain in the ass that was to collect! It is a bummer that they have so much trouble standing on their own. It's still one of my all time favorite toy lines though (right up with there with Jakks WWE Classic Superstars and Minimates).

When do the TMNT Minimates come out? September like seemingly every other Minimates set that I want right now?

Mister PL, I don't know how Series 1-4 is sellable but adding half of Series 5 makes it less sellable, but I haven't sold a lot of Minimates online, so I'll take your word for it.

So you do have the series 1 and 2 exclusives, I take it? How long did it take you to get them? Did you pay a premium? Just wondering how unpleasant their acquisition was.

And I believe Shane said he saw some Series 5 sets in NOLA. Maybe he can hook you up.

Edited by DSTZach

If I end up unloading my Walking Dead collection, I'd be looking to get rid of all of it at once, probably to either a new collector just getting into it or someone who wants to keep some and resell the rest. At this point I wouldn't ask for more than cost + shipping. I paid less than retail for many of the more available ones (thanks to TRU coupons and gift cards) which justifies the expense of tracking down the rarer ones (which I've found on eBay for 2 or 3 times retail). But I can't put a dollar value on collector's angst which is why I'm leaning toward jumping ship. Tracking down a single 2-pack is one thing. Having trouble finding an entire series is not what I'm used to.

As for the LCS series, they've been easier for me to acquire lately. I'm pretty confident that I'd not only be able to pick up the whole fifth series but probably at a discount. My beef is really with TRU and, yes, I've written to them about it on more than one occasion.

All that said, I have a 2,300-mile road trip coming up in June and I'll probably take the opportunity to check out a few TRU's along the way. If Series 5 is still showing up in stores, maybe I'll luck out. (Unfortunately NOLA isn't part of that trip or I'd meet Shane there! smile.png )

I'm not sure when Series 6 is supposed to show up but if it does before I get Series 5, that'll be it for me.

But there are plenty of other Minimates lines I'm looking forward to collecting so you're not losing a customer entirely. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

yikes, if it is aliens, I may be out of the blind bag discussion (I'll just go to ebay for the few that I want, and thats mostly for the parts). But, if it TMNT i'm still on board, I liked everything I saw, and my boy will love them, he's just getting into turtles bigtime.

The point of the blind packaging was to get the line into retailers who requested it.

TMNT is being sold to Walmart and Target as well as TRU, all of which support blind packaging.

Seems a pretty safe bet that TMNT is the unreleased line being blind packaged.

The point of the blind packaging was to get the line into retailers who requested it.

TMNT is being sold to Walmart and Target as well as TRU, all of which support blind packaging.

Seems a pretty safe bet that TMNT is the unreleased line being blind packaged.

I'm so confused. I thought Zach said the blind bagged mates were a license that has not yet been reveled, mentioned, or shown. so based on that, it cant be TMNT.

It is TMNT. I told 200-300 retailers at the retailer summit, surprised it hasn't trickled out.

Alien is getting a box set, then a series of two-packs, as it is currently planned.

TMNT Series 1 will be solicited in a few weeks.

I'm so confused. I thought Zach said the blind bagged mates were a license that has not yet been reveled, mentioned, or shown. so based on that, it cant be TMNT.

Well, first he said:

So Blindbag packaging will be initially for the as of yet unannounced license, or are other announced licenses (TMNT) being considered too? Since this was announced at the Diamond retailer summit, I'm assuming this means that consumers will be able to just order a full case right through their specialty store if they want?

Are blind bags going to be hitting the other larger retailers (TRU, Wal-Mart, etc...), and if so, will it be the same assortment offered to Specialty, or unique to the store?

I never said it was for an unannounced license, just an unreleased license. (It's not Star Wars.) And this is for specialty. It will be at other retailers, so we'll see who wants what.

Then he said:

It is TMNT.

So I'm pretty confident it's TMNT.

Unless a more collector-friendly solution shakes out, I'm probably passing on the line now. I doubt these will be sold at an individual price that'll make them tempting and I've no use for multiples of the same Turtles so buying a whole case makes no sense. Oddly enough, had it been Aliens, I might have justified the multiple main characters because Marines make easy troop builders with simple head swaps. Armies of Foot soldiers is fine. Armies of Donatellos? Not so much.

Hopefully a box set similar to the Ghostbusters "I love this town!" set will be offered someday.