UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TMNT Minimates - it's official!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy.

I've never been a fan of the cartoons, just the comics and [most] movies.

I'm in a similar boat to a degree. I feel the 87 series hasn't aged well, especially when the vastly superior (but typically overlooked) 2003 series did a great job of doing a story that was MUCH closer to the original comics. I've been put off the new series as I feel it's trying to re-make the 87 series rather than something different like the 03 series.

However I do really like the 2012 designs - especially the fact Donnie and Mikey got new weapons (which were underused from what I saw, another thing I found off putting) so I'm hoping they get made as part of the line - so I can't wait to get the core four if nothing else as minimates biggrin.png. I do hope this may allow DST to branch out into other incarnations like 03, IDW and maybe even the Mirage Turtles.

I saw a report that these were at Toy Fair but couldn't be photographed, is that correct? I'm just curious if anyone knows what characters they had on display.

"Minimates are planned but we were not allowed to take pictures of them. Shown was Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Kraang droid #1, Kraang droid #2, Shredder, Foot Ninja human, Foot Ninja Kraang, and April ONeil. There was also a posted of more characters coming but we were not allowed to mention the names of those characters at this time." Quoted from toy hype.

Edited by King Kobra

I saw a report that these were at Toy Fair but couldn't be photographed, is that correct? I'm just curious if anyone knows what characters they had on display.

"Minimates are planned but we were not allowed to take pictures of them. Shown was Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Kraang droid #1, Kraang droid #2, Shredder, Foot Ninja human, Foot Ninja Kraang, and April ONeil. There was also a posted of more characters coming but we were not allowed to mention the names of those characters at this time." Quoted from toy hype.

Very cool, thank you. If Zach is around, can you give us any idea when we might get a look at these?

I'm definitely pleased that these will be 2 packs instead of box sets (easier for army building).

Sadly, I haven't been keeping up with the new cartoon - can someone tell me if Usagi is part of the latest incarnation?

No. As Peter Laird is no longer part of the TMNT franchise, they no longer have the connection to Stan Sakai (Peter and Stan are said to be good friend) and I've heard as a result Usagi won't be appearing in the new cartoon.

Usagi is actually a separate comic series called Usagi Yojimbo, which in the 87 series is mistakenly used as his name. The 03 series uses his correct one Miyamoto Usagi and also brings in more of his supporting cast like Genosuke (who's a Rhino bounty hunter) and even has Leo travel to his world. Usagi Yojimbo is easily my favourite comic EVER and having not only episodes dedicated to the franchise but using his correct name is another reason why I feel 03 > 87.

Having said that if a classic licence allows DST to make Usagi (not sure how that would work as he is owned by Stan Sakai and currently being published by Dark Horse)

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I did not know that he had appeared in the later series as well, I'll have to check that out. I did know his correct name, but it's just easier to use the name he's most commonly known as among the public.

Usagi as part of this or any TMNT line would be great, as apparently Stan Sakai's wife is very ill, and they are incurring crippling medical bills. Dark Horse is releasing a benefit book, with work by an amazing array of artists, in June:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1581/dark-horse-announces-sakai-project

No. As Peter Laird is no longer part of the TMNT franchise, they no longer have the connection to Stan Sakai (Peter and Stan are said to be good friend) and I've heard as a result Usagi won't be appearing in the new cartoon.

Usagi is actually a separate comic series called Usagi Yojimbo, which in the 87 series is mistakenly used as his name. The 03 series uses his correct one Miyamoto Usagi and also brings in more of his supporting cast like Genosuke (who's a Rhino bounty hunter) and even has Leo travel to his world. Usagi Yojimbo is easily my favourite comic EVER and having not only episodes dedicated to the franchise but using his correct name is another reason why I feel 03 > 87.

I didn't know that about the name, having never read the comic (though I've always been fond of the artwork. Sadly, I cannot collect all 40 billion comic titles that I think look interesting AND collect Minimates. I wish I was rich wink.png). I also didn't know where the connection came from. I should work on being more knowledgeable on my favorite childhood franchise...

I'm going to need so many Foot Soldiers. So many...

This. A thousand times, this.

I had two Foot Soldier figures from the '87 line when I was 6, and I had to use my imagination to multiply them into dozens for my turtle figures to fight. I fully intend to eliminate the need to use my imagination with the minimate versions.

A Foot Soldier army dump would make me so happy... and broke.