UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

DSTZach, on 03 Jun 2014 - 16:15, said:

I don't think we're pursuing it. Even if we wanted to make a bank, as well, there are only the two other monsters in it, and they're very similar. As it stands, we've got a lot of monsters to make.

Is it a possibility though?

Since this new Godzilla is the first of a trilogy (because of course it is) when part 3 is being released you’ll have (hopefully) made most of the classic Monsters... can you guys re-up your license and make 201x Godzilla, MUTO 1, MUTO 2, whoever’s in part 2, whatever part 3 monsters they give you control art for, etc?

Or is there a weird legal thing where Legacy Godzilla and Toho Godzilla are basically different properties?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a weird legal thing, the Toho library is a separate license from the Legendary Pictures movie. Not sure the new movie was an option for us, and we aren't going after it now that the movie's come and gone, but we may revisit it down the road.

Heisei Ghidorah. Beautiful. Not too excited for Jaguar because I f**king hated that character, but it's another kaiju and one that can consistently get his ass kicked by everyone else, so he's tolerable

Edited by Trekker 42

Are you linking to the place where I said Ghidorah's chances at getting into Set 2 were better than Rodan's? Because that was true at the time, and now Ghidorah has an even stronger chance of anchoring Set 3. It's not like we shot him into space.

These are tooling-heavy figures, and bulky. Too many big characters and they won't fit in the tool, let alone the packaging. MechaG had size on his side, and Mecha, Ghidorah and Godzilla would be three pretty heavy hitters in one set.

Are you linking to the place where I said Ghidorah's chances at getting into Set 2 were better than Rodan's?

Nope, to where I said just because Ghidorah is designed doesn't mean we're going to get him.

Look I want this line to succeed so I'll smile and hope he's in wave 3 and I'm buying the first two sets, but my Universal Monsters and Street Fighter collections leave me worried I'm starting another collection of C-listers that took spaces heavy hitters that should have been made but were saved in the name of longevity the license couldn't support

Are you linking to the place where I said Ghidorah's chances at getting into Set 2 were better than Rodan's?

Nope, to where I said just because Ghidorah is designed doesn't mean we're going to get him.

Look I want this line to succeed so I'll smile and hope he's in wave 3 and I'm buying the first two sets, but my Universal Monsters and Street Fighter collections leave me worried I'm starting another collection of C-listers that took spaces heavy hitters that should have been made but were saved in the name of longevity the license couldn't support

I completely agree with you on this. We've had two cracks at the Street Fighter license now and we're still missing like half of the main guys.

DSTZach, on 26 Jun 2014 - 23:15, said:

If you have no faith in us getting to Series 3, then by all means, do NOT buy sets 1 and 2, because that would only encourage us. smile.png

that’s an unfair statement.

I bought every set from SFxT, Universal Monsters, and BattleBeast. Those all ended before I got all the characters I wanted.... meanwhile I’m very picky choosey about which Walking Dead sets I’ll buy and that line is THRIVING (thankfully). So clearly what I buy doesn’t encourage DST one way or another.

I can want to buy the figures put out but also worry some customers will balk the idea of a $20 4-pack with only 1 or 2 characters they want.

You can buy this at TRU http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21435036&cp=2255956.2273442.3574079.11291509&parentPage=family it’s 6 figures for the price of 4 minimates, it’s mostly big names (they got Ghidorah and Mecha-G in the same set...) you have to spend $60 to get the same four heavy hitters in minimate form. Now I know why the minimates are better product then those little things, but do swappable parts and 14 poa mean anything to the guy who just wants cheap tiny Godzillas on his desk?

Seriously, up until last year I bought every Marvel Minimate made and I still don't have a complete Giant-size X-men team.
After 10 years of encouragement I have to conclude DST has serious motivation issues. timbo.gif

Zach is technically correct in implying that the only way to get the Godzilla (or Brotherhood or GSXM or whatever) characters you want is to buy what they're offering now because if people don't buy Minimates, DST will stop making them, period. If they're not making Minimates anymore, there is exactly a 0% you will get the guy you want. If they keep making Minimates, that chance increases to 1% or 10% or 50%, based on the popularity of the character, Chuck's personal preferences, the airspeed of the migratory european swallow, etc. It's a sucker's bet to buy Minimates with the rationale of "I've bought every Marvel Minimate ever made, so I am owed a Banshee and Sunfire."

Buy them because you love them, not because you're hedging your bets against what they may or may not make in the future. Better to have loved and lost, and all that.

If you don't want ANY of the characters in Set 1 or 2, then i do not expect you to buy them just to get Set 3, just because it MIGHT have characters you want. I want you to buy them because they have cool characters in them you want. If you bought Street Fighter characters you didn't want in order to get Street Fighter characters you DID want, ones that we never announced or designed, that's obviously terrible, and that was never our intention.

But I think we've learned by now (from Minimates and non-Minimates alike) that support from hardcore collectors is never going to be enough to keep any competitively priced, non-premium toy line going. You need the casual collectors and the casual fans and even kids and moms. Which is why we have to look at things like character balance and cost management.

I hope interest in the sets will be enough to get us to Set 3 regardless. I am not too worried about competition from the Chibi Godzilla market, which has been around for decades and has not taken the world by storm. If those work for people, more power to them. I am not a fan, personally, and the suggestion that they are somehow an alternative to Minimates in any way, shape or form, to anybody, anywhere, is deeply, deeply hurtful. biggrin.png

Oh, and the line-up for each set has at least three major, cool characters.

Set 1: Godzilla, Mothra, Gigan and hardcore fan fave Titanosaurus

Set 2: Godzilla, Mecha Godzilla, Hedorah and hardcore fan fave Jet Jaguar

Before you say, "Well, nobody will want Hedorah," I'll just disagree, and say that not only does everybody know his name, but the Minimate will be pretty amazing.

Has anybody written in to Ask DST asking for Rodan?