UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to sound critical of Mothra. He is great at some things, like being a spectator to a Godzilla/Rodan volleyball game.

g8fc28524.gif

Do you think Rodan would be as good a spectator? I sure don't biggrin.png

I always thought Rodan was a close second (behind Godzilla) in popularity when it came to the Toho franchise. Maybe not? I always liked King Ghidorah, but Rodan is up there, too.

Good point. Rodan would have knocked that rock out of the sky, and then proceeded to kick both their asses.

I always thought Rodan was a close second (behind Godzilla) in popularity when it came to the Toho franchise. Maybe not? I always liked King Ghidorah, but Rodan is up there, too.

Mothra, worldwide, is probably actually second place since she got her own ongoing movie series whereas Rodan got a one-off and never quite managed to get his own "Godzilla vs" movie whereas Mothra has... a few actually. Ghidorah is my personal second but Mothra is just so damn popular.

Good point. Rodan would have knocked that rock out of the sky, and then proceeded to kick both their asses.

Well that's just bad manners tongue.png

Provided Rodan could get past the power and pressure of Mothra's flutter attack!

Not a problem. Mothra doesn't want to lose piggyback ride privileges.

giphy.gif

This is just the greatest goddamn movie series of all time. It really is.

Does anyone have a chronological listing of all the Godzilla movies? I tried Google, but was not satisfied with the results.

Thanks!

I hope you mean release order. Because there is a somewhat loose chronology in Godzilla. However it mostly follows release order with the exception of Destroy All Monsters which takes place at the end of the Showa era (after Terror of Mechagodzilla)

Showa Era

1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Gojira)

2. Godzilla Raids Again

3. King Kong vs Godzilla

4. Mothra vs Godzilla

5. Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster

6. Invasion of Astro Monster (Godzilla vs Monster Zero)

7. Godzilla vs The Sea Monster

8. Son of Godzilla

9. Destroy all Monsters (Chronologically final story of Showa era)

10. All Monsters Attack (Do not watch this. Painful story and dubiously canonical as it takes place in a boy's imagination)

11. Godzilla vs Hedorah (Godzilla vs the Smog Monster)

12. Godzilla vs Gigan (Godzilla on Monster Island)

13. Godzilla vs Megalon

14. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

15. Terror of Mechagodzilla (End of Showa era. If you are watching in the theoretical chronological order, Destroy All Monsters is next)

Heisei Era (New Continuity)

1. Return of Godzilla (Created as series reboot. Direct sequel to King of the Monsters ignoring all others)

2. Godzilla vs Biollante

3. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (Personal favorite)

4. Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth

5. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II (Not actually sequel to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. New timeline.)

6. Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

7. Godzilla vs Destoroyah (End of Heisei series, death of Godzilla)

Millennium Series (Hardly any internal canon. Will indicate what is sequel to what)

1. Godzilla 2000 (Sequel to King of the Monsters)

2. Godzilla vs Megaguirus (Sequel to King of the Monsters and related to monster from Rodan)

3. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (Sequel to King of the Monsters, psychotic premise, must watch. Baragon's in here too)

4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Sequel to King of the Monsters)

5. Godzilla Tokyo SOS (Sequel to Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, related to Mothra)

6. Godzilla Final Wars (Sequel to f**king everything with basically every monster ever. Sure it's not in continuity with everything else, but watch this last and the payoff is beautiful. In continuity with Godzilla 1998)

Remakes

1. Godzilla 1998 (It which must not be named)

2. Godzilla 2014 (Go see it and judge for yourself)

Painful story

From catching up on these on Netflix, I would say that applies to every Godzilla movie they're showing apart from the first one, which itself has problems due to shoehorning in Raymond Burr spouting exposition. Is anyone really watching these for the dramatic storytelling? With the aliens, and the woman with the implants controlling Mechagodzilla, and the fairies interpreting Mothra, etc. etc. biggrin.png

Painful story

From catching up on these on Netflix, I would say that applies to every Godzilla movie they're showing apart from the first one, which itself has problems due to shoehorning in Raymond Burr spouting exposition. Is anyone really watching these for the dramatic storytelling? With the aliens, and the woman with the implants controlling Mechagodzilla, and the fairies interpreting Mothra, etc. etc. biggrin.png

Yeah but none of those have Minilla talking in a Barney the Dinosaur voice and every fight minus the finale being stock footage with, on top of that, precious little time on Monster Island and the rest of it being a cheap imitation of The Karate Kid but with Godzilla showing up... The stories are often dumb, but they're still clearly wanting to be monster movies. This one... fuck if I know what it was trying to be.

I'll take All Monsters Attack over Final Wars any day. Seriously, take every annoying anime trope, turn it up to 11, and shoehorn into a live action movie and that's Final Wars. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

This months Horrorhound has a really nice break down of the different Godzilla movies and roughly what happens in each. They totally gloss over the 1998 movie. The different incarnations of "baby Godzilla" are discussed.