UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what this thread got me thinking about last night? Giant robots. Minimates of Gundam, Mazinger, Getter, Reideen, Grendizer, Voltron that would be awesome...

That would be very awesome indeed. Just reminded me of the Pacific Rim custom that brobot c did last year. Ooooh and he had a good looking Godzilla mate also.

You know what this thread got me thinking about last night? Giant robots. Minimates of Gundam, Mazinger, Getter, Reideen, Grendizer, Voltron that would be awesome...

I'm down for some giant robos

Let's add voltron, and all the Eva's to your list

Edit: ooh and the iron giant !

Edited by Nervous Rex

I'm down for some giant robos

Let's add voltron, and all the Eva's to your list

Edit: ooh and the iron giant !

Sure, I was starting out slow with classic robots, but if we wanna go modern, better throw in Big O, Escaflowne, Gurran Laggan, and Patlabor, too! :D

Hi! I'm new here.

The skinny lower legs on the minimates actually make sense. If you notice in the movies, Godzilla and te other monsters have rather meaty thighs (*snicker*). The extra thigh prices are emulating the Kaijus' bulk. If you don't believe me, look at basically any design for Godzilla other than the 1998 one.

His face looks funny because we are more used to Godzilla's profile. Most of the toy air images were taken from dead on.

And speaking of Godzilla and snickers:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNeGDNhYZo

Re: The "interesting" choice of Titanosaurus...

I feel like he's pretty blatantly the character that got thrown into the set to ride on the popularity of the other three... as a means of getting him out there. Since he'd be less interesting in a two-pack or something (should Godzilla ever get two-packs)

I mean, let's take the Marvel Civil War set as an example...

Iron Man
Spider-Man
Captain America
Nitro

... One of these things is not like the others.

Titanosaurus is your Nitro.

And I personally see that as a good thing, because it indicates that they intend to make more Godzilla minimate sets. When they cram in all the heavy hitter, all star, essential characters in the first pack... it usually means, "We don't think this line will have legs, so we're hitting all the high notes as quick as possible." ... when they throw in a filler character, it means, "We plan to make quite a few of these sets, so we're pacing ourselves on the big characters, and working in a few small ones too when we have room."

I'd love a Mechagodzilla or a King Ghidorah as much as the next guy, but I'm happy to get Titanosaurus. I want as many monsters as possible in the long run.

Hell, say what you will about the crappy movie, but I'd even take a Zilla minimate. Just because he became a canon (if lame) monster within the overall Godzilla franchise. And I wantz them all.

King Kong would also be one I'd dare to dream for. He so rarely gets represented in Godzilla merch. Despite having squared off with him. Damned legal mumbo jumbo. (Perhaps Zach has some idea if there's any prayer there?)

Edited by Gillbob316

Re: The "interesting" choice of Titanosaurus...

I feel like he's pretty blatantly the character that got thrown into the set to ride on the popularity of the other three... as a means of getting him out there. Since he'd be less interesting in a two-pack or something (should Godzilla ever get two-packs)

I mean, let's take the Marvel Civil War set as an example...

Iron Man

Spider-Man

Captain America

Nitro

... One of these things is not like the others.

Titanosaurus is your Nitro.

And I personally see that as a good thing, because it indicates that they intend to make more Godzilla minimate sets. When they cram in all the heavy hitter, all star, essential characters in the first pack... it usually means, "We don't think this line will have legs, so we're hitting all the high notes as quick as possible." ... when they throw in a filler character, it means, "We plan to make quite a few of these sets, so we're pacing ourselves on the big characters, and working in a few small ones too when we have room."

I'd love a Mechagodzilla or a King Ghidorah as much as the next guy, but I'm happy to get Titanosaurus. I want as many monsters as possible in the long run.

Hell, say what you will about the crappy movie, but I'd even take a Zilla minimate. Just because he became a canon (if lame) monster within the overall Godzilla franchise. And I wantz them all.

King Kong would also be one I'd dare to dream for. He so rarely gets represented in Godzilla merch. Despite having squared off with him. Damned legal mumbo jumbo. (Perhaps Zach has some idea if there's any prayer there?)

Not gonna lie, I'd sincerely enjoy having Zilla too.

Wonder if we're gonna see mostly Showa or Heisei versions first. This set is clearly Showa but I really do want me some Heisei. To me that's the really iconic version of each monster. It's when they really looked their best.

• 1 month later...

Buddy of one posted this on Facebook today:

image_zps7487e1c0.jpg

Godzilla Classic Minimates Series 1 Box Set

A Diamond Select Toys Release! What’s the best way to stop a towering atomic monster? Put him in your pocket! Celebrating 60 years of Godzilla movies, this box set of classically-styled Minimates includes Godzilla and three of his most famous friends and foes: Mothra, Gigan and Titanosaurus! Each Minimate mini-figure stands approximately 2 inches tall and features a variety of interchangeable parts. Packaged on a blister card. Designed by Art Asylum!

4-Pack SRP: $19.99

I'm hoping we'll get various versions of Godzilla over the years, including some fun glow-in-the-dark and bright green versions. It'll really help to keep him in the picture while still releasing the rest of his friends/foes.