UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

Let's wait for it to actually come out before we start calling this the final set.

Ghidorah may simply be too ambitious a design to execute.

1. Agreed

2. No. No. No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.No.

That would mean DST has hit the limit of their capabilities, but with amaterasu, modok, and the queen alien all getting epic mates, I just don't buy it.

Zola, seeing your post made me dreaming that the Gozilla line could got a "deluxe" figure like the Aliens will have their Queen. That's the only way I figure a Guidorah release. But I don't know if the line will be long enough to get this kind of plan.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 unique sculpts would be needed, 8 if each wing needed to be unique. I get it, I do, but Ghidorah is a Godzilla staple, and essential to the history of the character. Leaving him out of the line would be a huge oversight, it would be like making Cable without Stryfe, Ghost Rider without the hellcycle, Picard without any other bridge crew...

wink.png

7 unique sculpts would be needed, 8 if each wing needed to be unique. I get it, I do, but Ghidorah is a Godzilla staple, and essential to the history of the character. Leaving him out of the line would be a huge oversight, it would be like making Cable without Stryfe, Ghost Rider without the hellcycle, Picard without any other bridge crew...

wink.png

I also pity the fool who left out a character from the Rocky line .dry.png

Comparing Ghidorah to Clubber Lang is a slap in the face to Apollo Creed. Unless Mothra is Creed? I really don't know.

Anyway, it's not an oversight if we are staring right at it and unable to make it work. Sales dictate future offerings, and unit costs determine character placement in said offerings. We could throw up our hands and not make anything, out of frustration, or we can make the more feasible figures until we have an answer, or the sales are there.

I would think people would be happy that a third set has been designed, regardless of who is in it, since at one point a third set was questioned.

I am glad we're getting a third set. But I am sad that he's not in it. It's a double sadness thing.

Could totally see Ghidorah being the kind of character you'd offer in a deluxe set or maybe even have him in, say, a three pack that is the same price as a four pack and bill him as a deluxe figure. But I'll give you points for trying. It really feels like you wanted him in this set.

Ghidorah will not happen in Set 3, but as Chuck likes to say, "Never Say Never." That second movie will come out at some point, a retailer may want something cool... things may change.

Set 3, if it moves forward as planned, has some cool characters in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone here reading Kaijumax from Oni Press? I just picked up the first three issues and it's pretty good so far.

And while I know the Godzilla line is getting slaughtered by expensive toolings, I'm thinking the license for Kaijumax is probably more affordable than Godzilla and would appeal to the same kaiju-loving crowd.

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

It's strange seeing Showa and Heisei figures mixed together. Heisei as a whole just seems like a nightmare to cost out. But I think one reason I like Fire Rodan so much here is because he's as oversized as his Trendmasters toy. Rodan in the movie just seemed too small. Showa Rodan was the same size as Showa Godzilla and it worked.

Hoping for King Caesar and Anguirus next year to finish off vs. MechaGodzilla.

Me too! Then if ghidorah comes out Ill have all my favorite monsters. However there are still a shit ton of other monsters that could be made. I've mentioned throwing ghidorah or mecha ghidorah in deluxe packs. How about a deluxe Biolante?

Biollante would probably be easy enough. Design-wise, it would look a lot like a large, green TMNT Kraang brain with an extra neck/head piece on top.

Battra and MOGERA are probably the best bets out of Heisei for the four-pack treatment, followed by MechaGodzilla and SpaceGodzilla.

Destoroyah is even bulkier than Ghidorah, though. I might just wind up using the Bandai Chibi figures for now.