UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SCW said:

There's very little Minimate presence. Those Godzilla Vinimates would be cool if they were articulated. They almost look like they are, but I know Vinimates are notorious for that.

On an unrelated note, ROBBY!

Two waves of Marvel, a set of Bruce Lee, a set of John Wick, two waves of Kingdom Hearts... I think that's a lot. There's more we couldn't show. 

Not sure if the Godzilla heads turn, most non-DC Vinimates have articulated heads, but these are prototypes. 

Alright I'm sure this is more than over spoken but I think we need just one more Godzilla set at least to finish off the classics. The lineup:

First, to finish off the main Showa monsters

King Ghidorah - of course, Godzilla's lifelong nemesis and he already has blueprints drawn out 

Anguirus - Godzilla's first fight and eventual Ally, he would be a fun Minimate similar to the GB terror dog

And for a Heisei monster:

Destoroyah - Being to blame for Godzilla's first demise to another monster, he would be an amazing figure and a powerful looking addition to the collection. I would want Biollante to be involved but I can't imagine her as a Minimate.

And finally, as a long shot, an alternate, more wild but different version of Godzilla:

Shin Gojira - an absolutely bizarre rebirth of Toho's franchise, a figure of one, or maybe parts to make all, of his forms would be an awesome and unique addition to the series.

To top it all off...a Rocket Raccoon-like tiny figure of Minilla!

Thoughts?

Please please I want this so bad we need to at least have the finishing touches of the Showa figures. I'm awful at customizing molds I really don't know how so DST don't make me do it on my own! Haha

PhotoGrid_1550635431602.jpg

Honestly can’t think of any Kaiju more deserving than those three except maybe getting a Kong in the place of Destoroyah or Shin as Kong and Ghidorah are solid set anchors without Godzilla in it. But Shin really is a genius variant idea for Godzilla. New head sculpt but you could probably honestly get away with repainting the original Godzilla body. Throw in a nice purple fire blast and you’ve got yourself a neat little figure. 

I don't consider the PVC mini statues a competitor for Minimates.  I have the Thanos on its way to me and a comparison with Minimates never crossed my mind.  Just my opinion.

Any chance at more Godzilla minis is great news.  Ultraman next please!

The mini-statues are a slightly higher price point and probably enjoy a bigger margin than Minimates. I'm just looking at what Gentle Giant Studios has to offer and wondering, as with any acquisition where there's the perception of duplication, what's staying and what's going.

To end consumers they're different products. To retailers who don't have to stock both, one may be more lucrative. To DST... who knows?

• 2 years later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:04 PM, bombasticdashbag said:

Alright I'm sure this is more than over spoken but I think we need just one more Godzilla set at least to finish off the classics. The lineup:

First, to finish off the main Showa monsters

King Ghidorah - of course, Godzilla's lifelong nemesis and he already has blueprints drawn out 

Anguirus - Godzilla's first fight and eventual Ally, he would be a fun Minimate similar to the GB terror dog

And for a Heisei monster:

Destoroyah - Being to blame for Godzilla's first demise to another monster, he would be an amazing figure and a powerful looking addition to the collection. I would want Biollante to be involved but I can't imagine her as a Minimate.

And finally, as a long shot, an alternate, more wild but different version of Godzilla:

Shin Gojira - an absolutely bizarre rebirth of Toho's franchise, a figure of one, or maybe parts to make all, of his forms would be an awesome and unique addition to the series.

To top it all off...a Rocket Raccoon-like tiny figure of Minilla!

Thoughts?

Please please I want this so bad we need to at least have the finishing touches of the Showa figures. I'm awful at customizing molds I really don't know how so DST don't make me do it on my own! Haha

PhotoGrid_1550635431602.jpg

I was late to the Godzilla line, but have most of them now. And I agree -- at minimum we need Anguirus and King GhidorahMinilla could round it out (plus a requisite Godzilla variant), so we'd get everyone with multiple appearances in the Showa era short of Kumonga.

Zac, any chance the team revisits this license? Ghidorah is a glaring omission, and with Minilla in the pack this seems like a winner.

Edited by elhonez

I feel like the optimal pack for what we’re missing would be Ghidorah, Anguirus, Kong, and, a KKVG head sculpt Godzilla since we’d need at least one of him given how long it’s been since the last Godzilla set. 

On 4/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, elhonez said:

Zac, any chance the team revisits this license? Ghidorah is a glaring omission, and with Minilla in the pack this seems like a winner.

I keep pushing for more Godzilla Vinimates, since they did well, but I have not heard about new Minimates.

Did the first three MiniMates sets do well?

The three I mention (plus another Godzilla) could be packaged in a "Destroy All Monsters" box, since they all appeared in that one.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:04 PM, MisterPL said:

Would anyone be interested in humanoid characters from the Godzilla flicks? Astronauts and Planet X aliens would be a hoot. 

Kilaak army builders? Sign me up. So goofy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkDnK39uWH_te0aXspJNy

11 hours ago, elhonez said:

Did the first three MiniMates sets do well?

2 factors must always be considered when deciding whether a Minimate licence did well .......how many were produced & how many were sold , that might sound obvious but it's not quite as simple as it sounds.  IMHO Godzilla sets were produced in relatively low numbers ,command high prices with comparatively few listings years later. I'd guess that they were produced in very low numbers .

Whether Godzilla 'mates were a commercial success for DST is debatable but if they sold out then,I guess, they did well .

I feel like I remember them being cancelled due to a lack of preorders. 

And with the lineup of that final boxset I’m not surprised. Burning Godzilla without Destoroyah is weird, the design of that Rodan was a little off and he’s not exactly a big enough gun for people to lose their minds over finally getting him (despite the fan outcry on this particular board), the Mothras were kinda just lil statues but were also the best part of the set, and Megalon came from the... like... second worst Showa Godzilla movie.

It wasn’t what I call an attention getting set. Hell I still don’t have it myself.  I regret not getting it for sure, but at the time knowing that this was it for Godzilla it was a bit demotivating to end a line having Megalon and Titanosaurus and not having Ghidorah or, assuming they were venturing into Heisei with set 3, Destoroyah and Biollante. 

Godzilla 'mates are a couple of the few sets I never opened. I almost feel like putting them on eBay just to see what the actual going rate is for them.  Yeah, some are asking upwards of $100 but are any sellers actually getting that?

So many kaiju. So few Jaeger pilots. ?