UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome, though I agree with all about the big "G" looking a bit...off. Surely Rodan, MechaG, Ghidorah, and more are planned (a baby G would thrill me!). FX accessories (lasers, sonics, etc.), micro vehicles (jets, tanks, etc.) and FX stands (dust cloud, fire, flight, etc.) would set my mini-world on fi-yaaaah!!! I'm going to start constructing cardboard cities right now!

Edited by cdubya

Yeah no doubt when Series 2 comes along it'll have Mechagodzilla. I'm still kinda surprised we're getting Titanosaurus before Angurius. Either way, I'm gonna predict the next one is:

Mechagodzilla

Angurius

BD Godzilla (Mechagodzilla does kick the crap out of him pretty hard for a while)

King Caesar

That's going by what they did here: Godzilla, Bad Guy, Ally, left fielder. And that set can be entirely Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla based so bonus.

Third set would give us Rodan and Ghidorah.

I don't get it. Why aren't we were getting Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno Minimates? Who are these guys? They look like stupid guys in suits. I thought this was supposed to be Godzilla?

Please leave. We do not tolerate this sort of behavior here.

HOW DARE THAT MOVIE BE A THING.

HOW DARE THAT MOVIE BE A THING.

This.

Now, I'm not the biggest expert on Godzilla, but the way this G Minimate looks reminds me a lot of the old cartoon more than the movies (though I wouldn't guess that that was their intent. just my impression)... and while I understand the choice to go this route of making his old school look, I also had the initial thought of "wait, that is the first Godzilla Minimate we're getting?" ... but then I realized that they are probably in it for the long haul on this license (I hope so, at least), so it's more than likely that we'll get several versions of Godzilla (including a BD one, but hopefully also a less old school design). I can't see them releasing another box set without a Godzilla (as I'm sure everyone already assumes), so here's hoping there will be a 'something for everyone' offering over the course of several box sets. Maybe even one for the new movie...?

and, of course, ignoring the Emmerich disaster

I know I'm alone in this, but even though I watch Gojira movies every New Years, I really would like prefer a release for the American Godzilla.

Well American Godzilla *is* a cannon Godzilla Kaiju, his (her?) name is Zilla (because they felt Sony, by making their creature a mutant animal and not a true monster has taken the “God” out of Godzilla)

It seems Toho owns the design now, so it might be fun to get eventually (I still want King Kong first, but before him even Rodan, Mecha Godzilla, the meaner ‘cat like head’ Godzilla, and King Ghidorah)

These aren't doing too much for me. I realize the necessity of their being heavily sculpted, but they just don't look like Minimates to me. And I'm not the biggest Godzilla fan either. But they are nice for what they are.

Slightly underwhelmed by Godzilla himself; I realize that he's old school, but I think it makes more sense to lead off with a more sculpted Godzilla. If that's the only one we were to get, it will be pretty disappointing. Still, this should be a fun line, and I look forward to buying 'em.

I agree quite a bit. I asked Zach in the Toyfair thread if this is the final sculpt on Godzilla. I never thought I would find myself saying this about a Minimate, but he needs more detail. Mostly on his head/face. IMHO.

I'll go out on a limb ...... the block figure that is a Minimate works perfectly for most humanoid characters , even fat-arsed females seem to be a thing of the past with clever design-work ...........however .....

I've come to the personal conclusion that block (squared) legs on beasts & animals often seem to kill the figure for me . Just my opinion & I'm quite happy if I'm a tiny minority but this isn't a sudden condemnation I've been trying to figure this out for ages .... certain characters were just leaving me thinking "why don't I like that more ?"

Edited by buttheadsmate

I too think BBW2 are stellar ,I'm not saying that the Minimate form doesn't work I'm just saying that there might be room for improvement on some of them....less 'squaring' on the legs perhaps , if you really think about it why are Minimate legs square & their arms round ?

As Bruce Hornsby once said that's just the way it is .

Edited by buttheadsmate

As a monster fan and super-insane duplicate buyer of Universal Monsters 'mates (RIP), I really hope they don't do something un-advisable by releasing these annually.

That shit really put the nails in Dracula's coffin, so t'speak.

I see these are forecasted for Winter. This wait is going to be intolerable. Jesus please us, let these have regular, yearly releases.

SO PUMPED FOR THESE. YES I AM YELLING.

Edited by Mystery Man

I too think BBW2 are stellar ,I'm not saying that the Minimate form doesn't work I'm just saying that there might be room for improvement on some of them....less 'squaring' on the legs perhaps , if you really think about it why are Minimate legs square & their arms round ?

As Bruce Hornsby once said that's just the way it is .

Hey, why don't you ask Digger? I'm sure he'll be popping 'round any day now.