UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Big Bang Theory

And yet... I'm still going to buy them.

Buuuuut probably on the secondary market so they don't get any of my money directly. Which, TBH is how I buy most of my mates, usually because I can't afford them right away. tongue.png

Why in the world would you use that very racist picture?

Edit: My apologies to other members for asking this question in this thread; I know it could be done via PM. It is not my intention to derail this thread or be the politically correct police.

Edited by Santos L Halper

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiss point is that BBT is blackface for geeks. I agree. I don't think using the picture was a good call, especially with no frame of reference, but I at least get the point of it

I just have to quote you to say that the typo in the first word made me read your post in Cobra Commander's voice. From now on, I shall do this with all your posts.

Hiss point is that BBT is blackface for geeks. I agree. I don't think using the picture was a good call, especially with no frame of reference, but I at least get the point of it

I just have to quote you to say that the typo in the first word made me read your post in Cobra Commander's voice. From now on, I shall do this with all your posts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that did that!

The thing with the show is that it portrays geeks and nerds as socially akward guys who can't get laid, socialize and be a part of society. In some ways it is true (more of the latter since from personal experience i can see that others will cast you out instead of get to know you) but it goes overboard sometimes as well.

All in all, it produces some funny jokes, makes references to geek stuff and also talks about scientific facts which is also a plus for me since i am interested in the concept of spacetime, biomedical engineering and the various universe/multiverse theories (according to one there are about 16 dimensions in total and we just can't see them because even the big bang wasn't enough to "open" them which is pretty darn cool imo). You aren't going to learn anything by watching it (if you want to do that go read a book, an article, wikipedia,etc) but it's nice hearing the things you know about on such a high profile show.

Edited by Kostisfire

The thing with the show is that it portrays geeks and nerds as socially akward guys who can't get laid, socialize and be a part of society.

My god it's like you've know me my entire life, how I ever got married to a beautiful girl is a mystery to me to this day

Edited by winkerbean

I've never understood the arguement that BBT is "geek black face". Yes, it portrays "geeks" and "nerds" as happy and successful people who form relationships with women, sometimes way out of their league (Penny and Bernadette) or intelligent and successful women (Bernadette again and Amy Farrah Fowler), but isn't that the whole point? The meek have inherited the Earth, people!

Of the four main guys, only one is not in a committed relationship (Raj), and he was at one point hinted at being gay, but the writers can't make up their mind.

The comic shop owner is the perpetual stereotype, but why shouldn't he be? I've been to plenty of comic shops where the owners would make the guy on BBT look like Fonzi.

Hell, they've even gone out of their way to make cosplay, something not even accepted by a lot of nerds and geeks, a subject of the show.

I think this is one of the few shows on TV that celebrates geek culture, and not once have I ever felt they they were making fun of the target audience or the culture that produced the inspiration for the characters.

If someone told 10 year old me that one day there would be shows like Big Bang Theory and Comic Book Men on television, shows rooted in the same interests that I had as a kid that made other kids my age tease and make fun of me, I never would have believed them.

The thing with the show is that it portrays geeks and nerds as socially akward guys who can't get laid, socialize and be a part of society.

My god it's like you've know me my entire life, how I ever got married to a beautiful girl is a mystery to me to this day

I'm not saying that it's true, which is my main gripe with the show as well. It's just that in some parts of the world the majority would rather stay in their comfort zone rather than exchange ideas and talk about something else for a change. It doesn't happen everywhere but at least where I live it's how life is and I don't like it one bit.

I've never understood the arguement that BBT is "geek black face". Yes, it portrays "geeks" and "nerds" as happy and successful people who form relationships with women, sometimes way out of their league (Penny and Bernadette) or intelligent and successful women (Bernadette again and Amy Farrah Fowler), but isn't that the whole point? The meek have inherited the Earth, people!

Of the four main guys, only one is not in a committed relationship (Raj), and he was at one point hinted at being gay, but the writers can't make up their mind.

The comic shop owner is the perpetual stereotype, but why shouldn't he be? I've been to plenty of comic shops where the owners would make the guy on BBT look like Fonzi.

Hell, they've even gone out of their way to make cosplay, something not even accepted by a lot of nerds and geeks, a subject of the show.

I think this is one of the few shows on TV that celebrates geek culture, and not once have I ever felt they they were making fun of the target audience or the culture that produced the inspiration for the characters.

If someone told 10 year old me that one day there would be shows like Big Bang Theory and Comic Book Men on television, shows rooted in the same interests that I had as a kid that made other kids my age tease and make fun of me, I never would have believed them.

I'll be fair: I haven't watched that many episodes of BBT. During the episodes I have watched, I admit that at plenty of moments I chuckled. But in every episode there were as many or more moments were I cringed. It seemed like a character would say something or make a point, and then someone else would basically say, "Oh, you nerd," then cue the laughter. Felt to me like many of the jokes (but not all) were at the expensive of nerd or geek or whatever, even if done affectionately. It just doesn't speak to me. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the nerd equivalent of black face. I've got nothing against the actors or anything. In fact I do think they've made it more acceptable to be more geeky in public, so that's good. It's just not for me. More ambivalators gonna ambivalate than haters gonna hate.

If Leonard and Raj were taken off the show, it would be so much better for it.

Leonard is a vacuum of comedy and is so boring.

Leonard was the entry point to the series but now he's the worst. He's insufferable and really quite dumb for how smart he's supposed to be. And he adds no comedic value to the show.

In any case, I enjoy the show. I like how they mix in science, technology, and pop culture geek humor in an accessible way. I find it interesting how polarizing the show is. I'm not surprised by it, but I guess I don't find it the show that offensive. There's a mix of "laugh at" and "laugh with" the characters, which I find acceptable. On some level they make fun of everyone, not unlike Family Guy. But they also let the characters be victorious in their lives. It's no Community or Parks and Rec; it is still a Chuck Lorre comedy on CBS after all, but I find it entertaining enough.

Anyway, I enjoy the show, the Minimates have pretty great likenesses. I'll probably pick those up, but it's certainly not a license I *need*.