UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Big Bang Theory

A good license for a couple of box sets. I think these will sell well, and I'll probably buy them for my wife.

If someone told 10 year old me that one day there would be shows like Big Bang Theory and Comic Book Men on television, shows rooted in the same interests that I had as a kid that made other kids my age tease and make fun of me, I never would have believed them.

Yeah, it's really weird how this change has somehow happened, where being a geek today doesn't seem nearly as rough as it was when I, you know, was a geek growing up laugh.png

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I never knew this show polarised opinions so much! My wife and I just kinda sit down and watch it and find it quite funny, now I'm gonna be thinking so much more deeply about it lol. As for the 'mates, they are very welcome to me and I think the likenesses on the prototypes are among some of the best I've seen on "real life" minimates, I just hope the final product looks as good!

A good license for a couple of box sets. I think these will sell well, and I'll probably buy them for my wife.

If someone told 10 year old me that one day there would be shows like Big Bang Theory and Comic Book Men on television, shows rooted in the same interests that I had as a kid that made other kids my age tease and make fun of me, I never would have believed them.

Yeah, it's really weird how this change has somehow happened, where being a geek today doesn't seem nearly as rough as it was when I, you know, was a geek growing up laugh.png

You two don't know the half of it confused.gif

Vulcan: This is not a DST line. We're making it for BBP, like we made T-Cats for Icon. So no.

And Chuck rarely wants to so something because other companies are doing it -- usually, that's a reason not to. In fact, it's often the other way around: Chuck decides to do something, and suddenly everybody is doing it. Universal Monsters, Pulp Fiction, Battle Beasts... It's a strange phenomenon.

winkerbean, on 16 Feb 2014 - 13:32, said:

My first thought was sticking them in trek uniforms

Since Funko has already made several versions of the guys in Trek costumes (Pops, mystery minis, bobble heads) and Bif Bang Pow is planning on releasing them as Megos (Mego figures? I forgot the correct term) and DST’s trying to relaunch Star Trek mates anyway...

I really wouldn’t be surprised if we see an official Star Trek cosplay set released if the first two sell well.

(personally, I’m buying another one of those new Ghostbuster sets... because they’d TOTALLY dress like the Ghostbusters if licensing wasn’t an issue.)

I only follow TBBT, HIMYM, Suits and TWD. So this is a welcome addition to my collection. And civilain mates, so it wouldn't hurt for diorama builders.

Hoping for a third boxset for their recurring guests - Stuart, Wil Wheaton, Pria and Stephen Hawking! :)

I only follow TBBT, HIMYM, Suits and TWD. So this is a welcome addition to my collection. And civilain mates, so it wouldn't hurt for diorama builders.

Hoping for a third boxset for their recurring guests - Stuart, Wil Wheaton, Pria and Stephen Hawking! smile.png

I agree with your first three, but I think Kripke would have to bump Hawking as he's been in many episodes where SH has only really appeared in one.

Edited by Mattallica

I'm feeling fiesty today so... Here's a quote I stumbled upon from an old ask DST from 2008...

"Brandon Giles: Hi DST. Any chances we could see Minimates of the cast of “The Big Bang Theory” ?

DSTChuck: I don’t think so. I don’t think that property translates to Minimates very well and I’m not sure if the fans of the show would like Minimates. Great show though!"

:)

T.

I'm feeling fiesty today so... Here's a quote I stumbled upon from an old ask DST from 2008...

"Brandon Giles: Hi DST. Any chances we could see Minimates of the cast of “The Big Bang Theory” ?

DSTChuck: I don’t think so. I don’t think that property translates to Minimates very well and I’m not sure if the fans of the show would like Minimates. Great show though!"

smile.png

T.

Troublemakerbiggrin.png

What is that the one time Chuck didn't say "never say never"? and Bam it comes back to bite him.

Edited by Mattallica

Maybe a more accurate way to frame that question in this context would be: "if some other company came to you with a pile of money and asked you to make BBT Minimates, would you?"

I would guess it's not a license Chuck would pursue if it were up to him, but he's more than willing to contract out and do it.

Or, he changed his mind. If he never did that, we wouldn't have duck feet, bulked up anyone, Thunderkittens, or MODOK.

@Matt, I agree that Kripke can supplant Hawking...I admit I just wanted a Hawking decal to go alongside my Einstein minimate. :)

Speaking of Sheldon's mom, I eagerly anticipate the day we see her interact with Lenard's mom.

It was only late yesterday that I'd realised that this was an announcement rather than a wish thread !

I 'did' TBBT in the early days & thoroughly enjoyed it but since it went mainstream ....not so much . There are shows which I enjoy watching whenever they're on .....The Simpsons would be another.....without engaging my brain too much .

In my opinion TBBT will be good for the line without being too exciting for me , the show has definitely brought recognition to stuff that a few years back would have almost been 'in the closet' ........I'm talking the 'UK' here rather than 'US' . 6 years ago I went to my first Con ever /anywhere & it just happened to be SDCC .......so what ? Sooooooo now people (generally way younger than I) think it "awesome man" rolleyes.gifthat I went & that I went again a couple or so years later when just a few short years ago some of my contemporaries may perhaps have mocked me for going .

I could actually not givafu*k whether they mocked me or not but it is really nice now to be a bit of a pioneer .......one day, just one day, the world will know about Minimates & this is perhaps another step forward . Good luck to them .

(edit sp.)

Edited by buttheadsmate