UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Music Mates

Just an idle thought, but why not some new music themed figures? I just thought of how cool it would be to have a Kavinsky themed set (if you don't know who this is, he's the guy who did the opening song from "Drive", yep, that guy, check his stuff out) with his Dead Cruiser character and a red Testarossa vehicle for him to drive in. (All of his music revolves around the Dead Cruiser, a guy who died with his girlfriend in a car accident in a Ferrari Testarossa, and now spends eternity undead and driving at high speeds, kinda like Ghost Rider or The Wraith, the few music videos he has based on the subject are pretty slick)

I mean sure, why stop there. You could do Daft Punk, The Misfits, etc. Just off the top of my head.

This has been proposed before. The answer was as close to a "no" as Chuck ever gives. We got KISS and Ozzy mates back in the day, and there was some quiet talk about Johnny Cash, but it went down in a burnin' ring of fire. After that it has been pretty much a "We're not looking into that at this time."

To be fair though, Music is so personal and eclectic that it would be incredibly difficult to make a toy line out of. I can almost guarantee that I don't listen to any of the same music as you, and if I do hear a top 40 song in the store that I like, I don't have a clue who it would be. They wouldn't be able to make their money back.

Try Funko POP though. This seems right up their line.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

MadonnaMate is one of my favorite all time Minimates. Would love to have my favorite musicians on display, but knowing the reality of things, if this did happen, we would most likely end up with groups I don't know or care anything about.

For me to buy them, they'd need to be tied to nostalgia more than anything -- either classic artists that had iconic "costumes" (ie. Beatles, Freddie Mercury, you could do an entire line of Bowiemates), or '90s bands sporting looks from music videos that were burned into my brain forever from watching them so much when I was a kid (ie. Beastie Boys in their "Intergalactic" jumpsuits, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Cobain, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" Pumpkins, etc). Oh and I would totally buy that Blue Album Weezer box set Lobsterman made a few years back.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...