UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dear Zach, Any thoughts of doing an Anime series?

I agree that this would be an "Ask DST" question. Zach doesn't decide who gets made. He figures out sneaky ways to subliminally sell it all to us. One of us, one of us!

I thought he was asking me to create one! Actually, Gainax and I had an idea for a series about teenagers who remote-piloted giant Minimates and whined about it, but they turned it into Evangelion 5.0.

Asking DST is about as hard as creating a thread, but I bet if you searched artasylum.com for "anime", a bunch of stuff would come up.

And it's not like anime on the whole is as hot as it used to be. I love anime, but I can't think of one that's currently reaching an audience beyond the otaku. DBZ is still one of the most recognized, but it's not particularly active. There's less on US TV, and many of the studios are doing stuff for American companies and properties now. The Marvel anime isnt setting the world on fire, the DBZ movie did nothing for the property in the US, and any Evangelion movie talk has probably been torpedoed by Pacific Rim. Even Ghibli movies aren't the revelations they once were.

I'd love Trigun or Lupin, and Chuck would love to do Ghibli, but even if they had mass appeal, the licensing is difficult. And as amazing as the Minimates designers are, they still would be cramming a highly stylized and diverse set of characters into a single figure template. Kubricks and I-Men had varying degrees of success with that plan.

Edited by DSTZach

as much as people are flipping out about SNK... It's not that good.

I was about to punch you in the damn mouth until I realized you probably meant some anime with the initials S.N.K. (Shingeki No Kyojin? so Attack on Titan?)

because SNK-Playmore is amazing (they’d make HORRIBLE selling minimates, as much as I love Fatal Fury and the King of Fighters I know it’s lesser known than Tekken and we saw how well that went over...)

Personally I'm a HUGE Anime fan, and I'm also a member of Senior Staff for North Carolina's largest Anime Convention, Animazement, and even though I would love Anime Minimates, I have to agree with Zach, the markets just not there for it. Granted our attendance at Animazement has increased by atleast 10% per year since the Anime bubble burst around 2006 / 2007, which would make you think that if conventions are still pulling in the cash, then why not have the merch. To tell the truth, the major draw to conventions is the Cosplay, Guests, Panels, and Artist Alley, while the dealers room is put on the back burner.

You see, while Japanese fans still go Gaga over Anime toys, the U.S. market is more interested in model kits, high end statues, and highly detailed trading figures. They are interested in what looks as close to the Animated character as possible, and not a cute posable figure. This is why Kubricks produces very few Anime properties anymore, and iMen is all but non-existant. The truth of the matter is, the U.S. market has far less people truely dedicated to Anime as a hobby, and far more that look at it as a passing phase in their adolesence. Hell, thanks to streaming and bit torrent you can't even get the casual fans to purchase their Anime anymore, they rather hurt what little industry the U.S. has left and pirate it.

To sum it all up, I'd love to see Anime Minimates. I think a set of Ranma 1/2, Strike Witches, or Fate/Stay Night mates would be charming and awesome, but in reality DST is somewhat familiar with the Anime toy market (seeing as they've gone to Japanese toy shows before like Wonder-Con), and I don't think we'll ever see these wishes come to fruition.

Edited by Macross-Junkie