UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRUs Minimates -what happens now?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of years ago (5?) I had found Street Fighter sets [mostly Chun-Li vs M. Bison (red)] in 5Below stores here in NJ. I had assumed that they came from TRU, but perhaps not.

Does TRU sell clearance stock to discount chains?

I can't speak for anything recent, but my "Toys R Us Exclusive" Wolverine Evolution of X Marvel Legends 2-pack came from KB Toy Works back in the day.

That's pretty much my TRU also. So what minimates will be hitting TRU's, just marvel?

PVZ, Bluntman & Chronic, Clerks, Aliens eventually...

......And Marvel.....? right?unsure.png

Marvel was assumed, and has been under discussion here, and is in stores now. So yes, Marvel.

After this last round of clearance at TRU (the color clearance, red, brown, blue, yellow), I doubt they sell overstock. Stuff ended up at 95% off, then after that they were giving away items free with purchase. It was weird.

One of those items got returned at my local TRU. One of those exclusive LEGO 3-packs that has three full size sets in them, bundled for TRU, you know?

The manager held it for me and told me it should ring up at 4 cents. :yes:

Will likely be used as prizes at my library's LEGO club or something.

I don't know how they do that, though. I thought they were smart in embracing adult collectors, but that doesn't seem to have worked out well at all. I think that online shopping has probably hurt the toy industry more than any other (except maybe the music industry).

Feels like the writing is clearly on the wall for Toys R Us. You can tell going into the store it isn't what it used to be, even a few years ago. They'll need to really evolve or die.

yeah...I agree. Best Buy (imo) was on the brink of this several years ago. they changed. I still dont really shop there, except for TV's. but their doors are still open.

Honestly I'm not sure how TRU is still open any, I blame naive people. TRU's prices are several dollars higher on almost every single item in there compared to any other store IE: Walmart, Meijer, Target.....

To bad TRU is pretty much the only major "Toy Store". I miss Childrens Palace and KB Toys.

TRU also tends to offer more toys. Other retailers might scratch the surface of a toyline because they have less space or because (like Walmart) they want to offer a better retail by buying bulk quantities of a few safe SKUs but TRU tries to be that one-stop shop for everything, at least around the holidays.

I was able to hit a TRU yesterday and they had re organized the store since the last time I was there. It gave it a nice fresh appearance that lead to me finding things I hadn't seen in that particular store before. Their Legos were actually a dollar or two cheaper than at Target and Wal Mart which surprised me quite a bit. Hopefully this is a sign that they will get a little more competitive on prices.

I also found the exclusive scavenger two pack from Tomb Raider! I'm normally not much for army building but man I love those guys!

Here's what TRU is planning for Holiday 2014.

Getting Minimates featured in TRU's Here's What's Hot shop would be nice. Having them become an evergreen in the Gift Express shop would be great.

But if I were Chuck, I'd be trying to position Diamond as TRU's category manager for all adult collectibles. There'd be at least one aisle (and an online presence) specifically for what Diamond already pushes in their Toy Chest through Previews. If anyone understands the adult collector and can actually distribute products from a variety of manufacturers to that consumer, it's Diamond.