UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRUs Minimates -what happens now?

To all my fellow Minimate collectors.

My condolences. You have no longer the ability to hunt for mini mates in the fashion i do. I recognize that TRU has begun to stop with the minimate craze and that leaves many people in the dirt. Lucky for me though(and maybe many others), I have located four other retailers that carry mini mates around my area. If anyone lives in the Chicagoland area(Namely Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Mt. Prospect), Look forth to Dreamland Comics, Quake Collectibles, Keith's Komix, and Comix Revolution. I was able to score the Deadpool's Assemble set at Dreamland yesterday. I hope this helps!biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRU will have GotG soon, and Plants vs. Zombies. And then Turtles and Aliens and Marvel Infinity. And I believe the Bluntman SDCC set will make its way to stores. Working on new Marvel comic assortments now.

A couple new national chains will start carrying Minimates soon, as well, so hopefully you'll have some of them near you. And there's a lot of sets coming to comic shops pretty soon, so hopefully you aren't ruling then out entirely, and special ordering where necessary.

And as far as I know, UK fans have been and will be able to buy certain Minimates in stores. Star Trek, Jay & Silent Bob and I believe Battle Beasts were all available in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think Aliens, Sin City and Pulp Fiction will be as well. But not Marvel.

So I've got to say Im excited. Turtles will be availble at mutliple retailers including big box stores like Kmart (and since these go out of business every day now, good chance to get mates cheap)

Gamestop is carrying mates.

B & N is dabbling in them.

I think the team has put a lot of effort into finding new outlets outside of toysrus to keep the brand alive and grow it. Im all for it!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if TRU wants less waves in general, or just less movie waves? It could just be that DST had so much movie stuff lined up that TRU didnt want, that we're in a limbo because none of those waves got made (Thor 2, Cap 2, DoFP) except ASM2 which they bit on because they probably figured more kids would see that. It could very well be that we'll return to multiple TRU waves every year because going forward, DST won't be pitching much movie stuff.

I'm all for it, here's to hoping for a healthy and steady TRU influx of comic waves.

Well, I have posted this elsewhere, but will here, as well. I hit two TRUs on July 26th and ZERO Minimates in the whole place. NOTHING.

Maybe DST needs to take its own advice when it comes to these movie properties. "Movies are generally small universes so that is perfect for 4-packs.

Deep universes are good for 2-packs."

The Wolverine would probably have been better served as two or three 4-packs instead of an assortment of 2-packs that can't include the Silver Samurai. Granted, it's never going to be a very colorful offering (even the poster's black & white) but not having the Big Bad from the end of the movie was a problem. That could have been solved by either putting that character into a later boxed set or by offering a comic-based assortment.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is another movie assortment that could really use more characters but, again, it's not a very colorful offering at TRU. A comic-based assortment of 2-packs might have been the way to go for TRU while 4-packs from the movie could be offered elsewhere.

Even The Amazing Spider-Man 2 might have benefited from having a TRU 4-pack, a specialty 4-pack, and an exclusive 4-pack (from Diamond?) to offer characters like Rhino, a hoodied Electro, and a civilian Harry Osborn.

DST seems to be working against their own formula.

DST have a formula based on a tried & tested theory ............

Edit:In the clip Ol' Dicky At reminds of me...er........ now............. whilst Jeff Goldbum reminds me of me .........way back then in 1993 yes.gif

Butt says: It is always better to be over the hill than never having gone up the hill .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Maybe DST needs to take its own advice when it comes to these movie properties. "Movies are generally small universes so that is perfect for 4-packs.

Deep universes are good for 2-packs."

Pretty sure that comment was addressing properties in general and not Marvel in particular. I think it's unlikely DST views Marvel movies the same it does Kill Bill and the like.

So now that GotG has hit TRU, what else has been announced? I think Zach said PvZ will get a TRU wave, and we are waiting for the SDCC Bluntman pack to find its way online, but has anything else been confirmed for TRU at this time other than the overdue "Wave 19"?

WD Wave 6 at TRU doesn't sound likely.

Zach mentioned at one time that ALIENS would possibly be at TRU, but the Series 1 2-packs haven't been solicited or formally announced yet, could TRU be the reason?

None of the other upcoming movie licenses (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Sin City) are coming to TRU, right?

TMNT?

Zach said at the panel that the Aliens 2-pack would be coming after the singles and boxed set (early 2015). He also showed control art of them. He didn't specify where they would be available but I believe he mentioned soliciting them. I assume that means specialty stores.