UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRUs Minimates -what happens now?

Welp. I'm out. Tired of the bullying that goes on here. A few rotten apples ruins the whole bunch. I'm going to sell off what I own, no more DST products for me. Hope that makes the "hunt" easier for the decent board members here.

Whats this about? Did I miss something in this thread?

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. I'm out. Tired of the bullying that goes on here. A few rotten apples ruins the whole bunch. I'm going to sell off what I own, no more DST products for me. Hope that makes the "hunt" easier for the decent board members here.

Whats this about? Did I miss something in this thread?

someone said something to someone else they got mad and said they were quitting, you know normal shit around here.

Was at my closest TRU last night. All Minimates are now stocked on an end cap by the Hot Wheels/Diecast section. What genius came up with this idea? A few Walking Dead and most of the ASM2 sets.

It. . .it was my idea, Shane. It made sense at the time. You know, Minimates are small. Hot Wheels are also small. . .your words are like daggers to the heart *cries in the corner*

Was at my closest TRU last night. All Minimates are now stocked on an end cap by the Hot Wheels/Diecast section. What genius came up with this idea? A few Walking Dead and most of the ASM2 sets.

Now I know where to look!

I'm cool with an endcap of nothing but Minimates. That's some pretty high exposure. So long as they're not with the brick construction sets. That could cause licensing problems.

K80, you must be trying to hide them.

If I were a parent taking my child to buy Minimates from ASM2 and they were not in the Marvel section, I would assume they were not in stock.

If I were a child looking for a new ASM2 toy, I would hit the Marvel section and see what I liked. Minimates would not be on my radar because I would never see them.

I made it to a TRU for the first time in months and the only Minimates I saw were approximately two cases of Tomb Raider (no exclusives) and a couple of Walking Dead packs.

I hunted all over for Marvel packs but they were nowhere to be found.

At the Toys R Us in Vallejo CA, the ASM2 minimates were stocked in the Spider-man section but at the tallest possible peg. I'm 5'10" and I had to look up to see it. Not exactly marketing to the kids.

Same at my TRU. I almost missed them as I usually don't venture that far back in the store.To top it off they were on clearance racks but were in fact not on clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the store today beyond all hope and the only thing related to The Walking Dead in the aisle was an empty display (PDQ) of blind-packaged Funko Mystery Minis.

I know DST insists that TRU orders Minimates in MUCH greater quantities than specialty but if that's true then there must be a giant glut of them elsewhere.

My TRU just put out the First Class mates(@ a whopping $1.19 each). They found them in the back. I'm guessing they pulled them for the Christmas reset(for extra space). And now are throwing them back out. Here's hoping there's some more(other marvel) in the back.thumbsup.gif

I know DST insists that TRU orders Minimates in MUCH greater quantities than specialty but if that's true then there must be a giant glut of them elsewhere.

I think the problem is more that any given TRU store only gets a small amount of product. Sure, TRU gets more product total, but that isn't saying much availability. I will use Wisconsin and wave 18 as an example:

There are 8 TRU stores (maybe 9 or 10) in the state. I believe each TRU that I visited appeared to have seen 2 cases of wave 18, based on what was left over. With two of each of the exclusive in each case, that is 36 - 40 of each TRU exclusive pack that hits the entire state of Wisconsin.

Extrapolate that to the other 49 states and you have 2,000 of each exclusive. I know, I went with the high end, but I also know there are some states with a lot more TRU stores than 8. And some store see more than 2 cases, too. Regular cases are produced at what, around 1,000? TRU then has twice as many exclusives as variant packs in a regular wave.

So, yes, they may be produced in larger quantities, but they are spread out very thin.

At its prime, my LCS was ordering 3 cases of each Minimate wave. That is only 3 variant packs for all of Madison (I believe Westfield's is the only location in the area that carries Minimates). I think they may be down to one case now (I started going exclusive through Luke with wave 54).

The shop by my grandmother's house hasn't appeared to see any new mates in a looooong time. They still have packs of wave 20 collecting dust there. This may not be relevant to my point....

Anyway. My LCS was supplying mates for 4 collectors at its prime. Assuming we each got one set from the local TRU, that's it. Now, if one of us got more than one set (I help out UK Collector), all of a sudden, our local TRU does not supply enough mates for all the local collectors.

More product for TRU, just not 'on demand' ordering potential. If a local store could request more of an item, maybe that would help? They can't, and I can't see it every happening, but....

My TRU just put out the First Class mates(@ a whopping $1.19 each). They found them in the back. I'm guessing they pulled them for the Christmas reset(for extra space). And now are throwing them back out. Here's hoping there's some more(other marvel) in the back.thumbsup.gif

i've only seen shaw & havoc 2 packs. you saw more than that?

I know how you feel onyx_6. In the past week I have hit the TRU on the west side of Madison and all they had were Street Fighter vs. Tekken mates. The TRU in Brookfield had the same. The one in Janesville had Street Fighter vs. Tekken, Tomb Raider, The Wolverine, all the ASM2 sets, a couple Walking Dead series 5, and one Hunchback set.

I bought both of the exclusive Tomb Raider sets plus one ASM2 sets. Then I decided that I couldn't pass up minimate sets that were on clearance for a tad over a dollar so I bought nine packs of Street Fighter vs. Tekken and The Wolverine minimates to use as custom fodder. I just wish they had more Marvel minimates since that is mainly what I want to collect.

• 4 weeks later...

Just sharing, as the local TRU here in Bloomington/Normal, IL only had one 2 pack still on a peg (Tomb Raider Lara with Scavenger) at full price. They also only had one other place for any minimates and that was in the Marvel aisle where the ASM2 item are because they once had at least one case of the ASM2 minimates at one time.

I am so hoping that this TRU gets more minimates in the future. I like getting them at my local TRU when I can because I get them and start customizing because I can typically get multiple of a pack so I can experiment with my custom ideas.

Does anyone know if TRU's will start carrying Minimates in their stores again? I love shopping at LTS and always continue to give him my business but there is something about finding them in the wild that I enjoy.

I agree Captain. I've kinda been losing interest in Minimates lately, not because of the brand or releases, but because I haven't seen new minimates at TRU in almost a year.

I miss the thrill of the hunt and "ooooooh, I hope that set I want will be there" moments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the adorable blocky bastards, but when you have to rely on the internet for all of your purchases it kinda takes the fun outta things.

I know the folks in the UK only have the internet to buy mates, and I applaud your determination.

The GOTG mates have got me pretty pumped up for mates again, and I hope I'll be able to find them in the wild.