UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRUs Minimates -what happens now?

We've been telling you not to worry. I was now telling you ebay shouldnt be your guide since you just mentioned it. There have been other posters who said it was not the end, do I need to quote them? Of course smaller numbers of army builders will be on ebay since so many collectors absorbed them into their collections, theres not as many up for sale.As for if you're right or wrong on actual numbers produced, you know who to ask, which is not me. But the non-army builders from other waves (non-tru18) turn up more frequently than the army builders from their corresponding waves all the time on ebay. So that isnt a true reflection of items available, just ones people are willing to part with.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: "actual numbers produced" & "who to ask" you'll note that you specifically deleted the quote from Zach [in my post] that prompted me to post .

Here's that post....

Am I being unfair by cherry-picking quotes from other threads & placing them here ?

I'm just catching up on stuff so this is older news *...........

Battle Beasts and Tomb Raider shipped to TRU in smaller numbers, so apparently not every store got them. Marvel, I don't know what's up there, but circumstances may have made Series 18 a bit of a hot item.

*Not news to me & probably not news to many of us but yet again I'm not shooting the messenger .

I have no insider info but after scouring ebay for the last 8 years for Minimates on a daily basis you get to know (feel ?) what's going on ........& fairly quickly . That's not to say I buy much from ebay it's just a good gauge .

The trouble is & was that if I had actually posted what I felt I knew in my heart then the feeding frenzy would have increased..........Zach (& others ) were undoubtedly in the same position. No win situation.

I'm not sure whether I'm using the right word here but I'll use it ....the word is momentum ......... the ToysRUs 'incident' had cost the Minimate line its momentum for the time being . I will quickly add however that what I saw first-hand at C2E2 completely contradicted what I had been quietly thinking .........you just needed to watch the body-language of everybody connected ............Minimates ain't going away anytime yet .

This thread has run for 14 pages & I'm buggered if I can see where I said or implied anything about there being an end to anything ...except maybe....er.... TRU minimates ......hence the thread dry.png

I'm happy to engage in polite discussion but please have the courtesy not to twist my posts . Thanks.

.....& that 'we' thing is a bit irritating if you don't mind me saying so .....objectively.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Maybe the rent's cheaper there?

I wouldn't let anybody get under your skin, BHM. You're like the Gordon Gecko of Minimates; you buy and sell (well, buy, anyway) more Minimates before 9 o'clock (GMT) than most people do all day. Your conclusions are all reasonable, and may very well be correct when it comes to numbers. I actually don't see them very often myself. I just wonder if a temporary distribution problem through a major sales channel might generate misleading data regarding numbers or long-term prices.

BHM, I was trying to edit your post for space and was replying specifically to your last paragraph, but I was doing so on my less than helpful Samsung tablet.

"Minimates ain't going away any time yet" Is what you specifically said. Yes, That's what we've been saying all along. I'm actually "buggered" that you can make such a statement then say that you don't know where you ever made such a statement. WE have been telling you not to worry. Page one includes such statements as:

Post #2 - "I still don't think this is the end" - youbastards

Post #3 - "I don't think TRU is done with minimates altogether" - ME

Post #5 - "I am hesitant to call Doom and Gloom" - Zexion_Armando

Post #7 - "I am trying not to read too much into the clearance pricing, and just assuming that TRU is clearing out old stock" - hellpop

Post #8 - "I'm not worried" - MisterPL

Post #10 - "We'll be fine. Trust me." - TM2 Dinobot

That's just page one. Five different people not including myself trying to ease your (at the time) worried mind on just the first page alone. So yes, I still feel comfortable saying "we". I'm sure there's more, but since I guess you couldn't be bothered to read the first page yourself, I don't think I need to go through all 14 pages either.

I really, really don't understand how this thread has turned. BHM has been down on the future of minimates at TRU, a majority of us who actually have local TRU's have been trying to give a picture from the ground-floor, not secondhand like BHM's ebay observations, and actually trying to counter with what we see first hand. Did I misunderstand, BHM? Were you, or were you not worried about minimates future at TRU? Is the thread not titled "what happens now?" And have WE not been saying that WE are not as worried as you were? Because that's exactly how I've interpreted what's been going on in this thread and I'm particularly irritated with having my posts twisted.

Zach, sorry if I've offended your precious "Gordon Gecko". I know I'm not exactly on your good side after posting the Bryan Singer minimate (which I would have taken down if you'd asked politely), but it's interesting to see you publicly take sides against me after I've been rallying for your precious line this whole thread. Maybe as the PR rep for your company you should learn how to be more diplomatic? I think the proof in this post speaks for itself, but since you'd rather toady up to your biggest spender at the expense of someone who was actually correct, I've lost all respect for you Zach. That was incredibly low and uncalled for. No wonder so many people have called it quits here.

"I have no insider info but after scouring ebay for the last 8 years for
Minimates on a daily basis you get to know (feel ?) what's going on
........& fairly quickly . That's not to say I buy much from ebay it's just a good gauge ." - BHM

""Ebay shouldn't be your measuring stick for the health of the line " is what you said not what I said ." - BHM

Of course that's what I said, based on what you said. Is it that surprising I came to the conclusion you were using ebay as a gauge when you specifically said you were using ebay as a gauge? It seems like the only sin I've committed here was to comment as to what you've actually said. God forbid any member with less comments here than you actually disagree with you! And you want to accuse me of twisting your posts, perhaps you need to actually reread what you wrote?

BHM's one of the most likable, thoughtful, and generous board members I've run across on any forum. I could be wrong, but it's very possible that that is a reason Zach would act in a friendly way toward him, and not simply because BHM is spending vast sums of money on Minimates. People who are friendly make friends. . .

Guys,

Play nice!

Old member or new member you BOTH should have realized that all you're now doing is rubbing each other up the wrong way & zero productive conversation is actually happening.

If anyone wants to continue the 'No, you're wrong, I said this' game take it to PMs, please.

As always If either of you feels the need to discuss it further with a staff member then please shoot me or any other Mod a PM.

How about we return the thread to The topic of the current situation at TRU re: minimates?

T.

Probably not in Canada (or at least Calgary). Boo urns. Although we did get ASM mates last time. The TRU in my mall has had next to nothing for months. The only package I've seen is one Tomb Raider. Other than that, zilch. Damn you TRU! Probably have to hit a TRU in San Diego.

Edited by TheSpiderX

I think that VulcansFury & I probably agree on more than things than we both care to admit.......didn't make for good reading though.. huh? My apologies to all.

"Two nations divided by a common language"--George Bernard Shaw

.........& generally I just need to say is that I wear my post-count like an albatross around my neck .....the sooner someone can relieve me of it the better. Mods?

Getting back on topic ..........can I expect the ASM2 sets to appear on TRU.com ?

The listings are up, YB pointed out they don't say Minimates on them.

As many people have been saying, I would not expect a recent absence of Minimates to be an indicator of ASM2 not showing up now. Hope everyone gets these.

For what it's worth, I'd have prioritized things the same way. Folks in the specialty market (IE - comic shops) are more hardcore collectors and more forgiving of delays. And I don't know if TRU penalizes manufacturers for missing shipping dates like othe retailers do but that's certainly an incentive to hit the pegs closer to the movie premiere.

Shoot, I'm just happy to actually see something new at my TRU. :)

Not just TRU, we figured comic shops would appreciate a more timely ASM2 assortment, since we were missing Cap 2 by a fair margin anyway. Not sure of our original estimate, but they are allowed to return in cases of lateness, as far as I know.

Just a general question about Toys R Us minimates. I picked up an auction on eBay of Star Trek Legacy and the certain packs I know to be Toys R Us exclusive, like Janeway/7of9 and Picard/Hugh don't have the silver sticker on them. Does this happen a lot? It's the first time I've ever seen it. I'm sure the seller could have taken the sticker off, but these seem like they never were there at all.

Technically the whole TRU Star Trek Legacy series was exclusive to TRU since all the 'mates were different than those available at comic/specialty stores, but if I remember correctly only the Janeway/Seven of Nine pack had the exclusive sticker. Not sure why yours didn't have the sticker though.

I guess it might depend on the area. For a while I wasn't buying minimates, but I would still browse at TRU. Every time I saw them in my area, the Picard and Janeway packs would have that sticker. I bought these from an east coaster.