UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ToysRUs Minimates -what happens now?

I don't know what the answer is for TRU, but if their main cause of their decline in sales is due to online shops, it would seem wise to better develop their web presence and limit their brick and mortar locations to the stuff that seems to sell with regularity. Also, they still carry baby stuff even though they have created a cannibalistic presence in "Babies r Us". There is a BRU within a couple of miles of my local TRU. Not smart IMO.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improving speed of checkout is actually a pretty major step forward if it really happens. I'm usually put off to going to TRU at all because the staff are indifferent and unhelpful, and it takes about 45 minutes to check out if there is one or two people in front of you.

But yeah, when I read between the lines my thoughts were the same as Rob's. You can buy on Amazon.com, you can buy from Wal-Mart and Target, why would you go out of your way to try and buy specifically from TRU, which are not as convenient for most, and usually cost more unless you happen upon some promotion or bother using a coupon?

Also, they still carry baby stuff even though they have created a cannibalistic presence in "Babies r Us". There is a BRU within a couple of miles of my local TRU. Not smart IMO.

They changed the TRU in Baton Rouge into a mega TRU/Babies R Us hybrid store across town from where the previous one was. Edited by karamazov80

I don't know what the answer is for TRU, but if their main cause of their decline in sales is due to online shops, it would seem wise to better develop their web presence and limit their brick and mortar locations to the stuff that seems to sell with regularity.

Then there's the stuff that sells annually.

I'm a regular customer (thanks to their exclusives) but I tend to avoid the stores during the holiday season because of all the people who crawl out of the woodwork to do their Christmas shopping.

Oh man....... wish the TRU I usually go to has that much stuff in stock!!

Would like to replace my current Magma and an Ultron Drone would be great.

Only thing the one I go to has left are 2 Gwen/Connors packs, a Thor/Absorbing Man pack, 2 each of the Lara Croft sets and The Walking Dead 5.

Oh.....and the WD mates are on a side endcap on the last row of hooks near the floor. Not visible at all.

Edited by jcastick

Maybe they could improve their image with customers by not being shady and raising their prices every time they have a "sale"? I'm not particularly fond of having my stuff ring up *higher* than the shelf tag price because they are having a "free pegwarmer with purchase" for junk I don't want or their typical BS BOGO racket. Honestly, if it wasn't for Minimates I wouldn't even step foot in there anymore.

So, I don't know what this means, but I took the shelf tag for Walking Dead wave 5 to the counter to have them check for more stock in back. He scanned the tag and then told me that this is a "vendor serviced product" and they would only receive restock when the vendor decided to order more for that store.

The rep I spoke with is usually very knowledgeable and he's been at the store for a very long time. He scanned the tag with the portable scanner instead of looking it up at the customer service counter.

Anyone able to verify if this is correct?

I was at 5 TRUs in this part of NJ in the past week.

Slim pickings to be sure. Marvel packs were completely gone at 3 of 5 stores. One store only had 3 SFvT sets, not even Halo vehicles.

I may have bought my last seriously discounted packs for some time (perhaps ever?!) sad.png (sniff)

Thanks, TRU, for all of the heavily discounted Wolverine movie ninja 'mates!wolverine.gif

I am upset with my local TRU in B/N, IL.

They have not received any new minimates for over a month.

The have 2 Tomb Raider packs (Lara & Scavenger with gas mask)

They have one Gwen & Connors, about six Daredevil & Kingpin, about 4 Wolverien & Reaper and then they have 3 Wolverine movie packs and about a case worth of Street Fighter X Tekken (mostly the packs with King and then another one).

I have two coupons that have expired without use because they don't have the stock and Minimates really are all I ever purchase at TRU.

However, I did visit the local Barnes & Noble which is in the same area as TRU. I took a chance and it paid off. I read that they were starting to carry minimates and I found five packs of minimates there. I got one Iron Man & Thing, one Spider-man & Goblin, one Wolverine & Sabretooth and two Cap & Thor. They were basically $10 each but I never got any of this wave so I snagged them.

I just hope that my local TRU get new mates soon. I really would like to get some Walking Dead mates and even more of the marvel mates soon.

Checked back with my local store today, hoping for a Walking Dead Wave 5 restock. The hanger tag is gone, so I'm guessing that means they aren't getting more stock. I wonder if TRU cut their order number for Wave 5, because my store restocked Wave 4 two or three times. Zach, are you able to provide any insight?

We have an expression over here that goes " ....don't throw the baby out with the bath-water " .

My feelings are that TRU did exactly that when they had their panic sale of Minimates .....all Minimates.

It was a sound move .....clearancing the dross .......it peeves me to say it but some Minimates we have had should never have seen the light of day & in one or two cases you won't give them away.

BUT..

immediately clearancing brand new waves is sheer insanity or at best, sheer laziness, but the tragedy is that in all my time of collecting Minimates I have never seen such beautiful 'mates as the stuff that have just been seen at TRU .....TRU 18,Tomb Raider & the latest WD 'mates are quite superb .

I've been going around again to the various TRUs in the area.

I've been to 4 of about the 8 that are in a reasonable driving distance and here is all I have seen at ALL 4 stores total:

2 Gwen/Dr. Connors packs - which I bought

1 SF vs. Tekken pack

5 Munsters Coach

4 Tomb Raider packs (2 Lara and 2 Damaged Lara

2 Battle Beast packs

And PLENTY of Waking Dead 5

I have yet to see Marvel 18 ANYWHERE......I saw 1 Thor/Absorbing Man pack and I had just gotten that pack in a trade, so I passed on it.

So, it seems like in this area, anything new from TRU, I'll have to get through the kindness of others here or on the secondary market.

Much sadness

Checked back with my local store today, hoping for a Walking Dead Wave 5 restock. The hanger tag is gone, so I'm guessing that means they aren't getting more stock. I wonder if TRU cut their order number for Wave 5, because my store restocked Wave 4 two or three times. Zach, are you able to provide any insight?

At my two local stores, the hanger tag thing doesn't mean anything. There have been times that Marvel or TWD have sold through, and when that happens the peg comes down until new stock arrives even if it's only a day. Shelf space is a commodity not wasted on the absent

Jason, I don't know that any of that means you won't see more at your TRU. It seems to be a common breakdown, and if you're seeing plenty of WD 5, then you're seeing plenty of the last thing they got. The next thing will be, I think, ASM2, so we'll see what happens then. Not sure how many stores will get that one.

I'm curious, are people seeing WD5 specifically marked down, or are people just getting it marked down by mistake? That one is the only one that doesn't make sense to me. Can't remember if I scanned one, but they definitely had plenty of WD 5 when I was at the Danbury, CT TRU -- 8-10 sets.

Also:

- 2 Halo sets (the one with the prophet)

- 3-4 Halo Warthog three-packs

- 2 UM Hunchback and two Ankh-es-en-Amon sets (I got another one of her)

- 7-8 SFxT sets (Guile/Raven, Zangief/Other Dude and Sagat/King)

- 3 Wolverine sets (2 Shingen, 1 Ninja)

- 4 TRU 17 Hawkeye/Widow sets (picked an extra up)

- 7-8 Star Trek sets (everybody, so I grabbed another Hugh)