UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

I'm not too bothered by the scale thing really. I very much enjoyed the Snarf-scale figures in the Thundercats line.

And if having a 'teeny, tiny Rocket' frees up a space for Ronan/Nebula/The Collector etc... then i think i'm cool with that yes.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's so much smaller than the human figures that he would look ridiculous on the regular body.

It worked out okay for the Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter sets, no reason why it can't work for Rocket Raccoon too. Just use the smaller Thunder-kittens parts.

RR is going to be the breakout star of this movie, it would be a shame to only have a mini-statue.

Didn't care for either of those figures myself, so I can't say I find that very convincing.

The way I figure it Rocket is going to come with a large gun, so being able to hold that in a decent firing pose is all the mobility that he needs. That seems to be the approach Hasbro is taking too.

Rocket Raccoon is a non-poseable mini-figure. No full-size RR, sorry. Mini RR means room for Ronan, Nebula and multiple army-builders.

Assortment is shared between specialty and TRU, yes.

I'm gutted we wont be getting a proper Rocket, I love GotG and on that decision alone I have gone from must have to these to lets see them first before I'll order any.

You do have me curious on how dropping one figure gives you room for at least 3 others, Does this mean multiple uniforms are going to be made?

T.

Didn't care for either of those figures myself, so I can't say I find that very convincing.

Doesn't matter if you didn't like those figures, it just means there's a precedent for making full size Minimates of miniature characters, and that was before the new Thundercats limbs.

I agree with TBT, a minfigure and a full-size 'mate was the way to go. In the grand scheme, RR will be more important than supporting characters or army builders.

Hopefully we'll get a full-size RR comic version someday, but without existing parts to reuse, the chances of that have dropped dramatically.

There was a precedent... until they found a better way to do it. Obviously DST has decided for very small characters this is the way to go and I wholeheartedly agree. If it also gives us a chance to get Nova Corps troopers so much the better.

Now I'm curious to see how they approach Groot. Everyone else should be pretty straightforward.

I hear you, YB, but I think it's a little early to call him the breakout star, or the movie a blockbuster. We have no idea how he will be received, aside from insider guesses, or how the movie will do, aside from previous Marvel box office reports. Not that any of that affected our decision, but it's not like he's the title character in a solo film. He's part of a team of five people, who face off against three villains, and giving him two different scale figures in the same line would, in my opinion, be confusing and redundant. We made a choice, and I think it was the right one, since it's both more authentic AND gives us more slots (and tooling) to play with. .

If he'd had two different outfits, maybe two looks would have been warranted, but not in two different scales.

There was a precedent... until they found a better way to do it. Obviously DST has decided for very small characters this is the way to go and I wholeheartedly agree. If it also gives us a chance to get Nova Corps troopers so much the better.

Now I'm curious to see how they approach Groot. Everyone else should be pretty straightforward.

The precedent is that Chuck has consistently said 'Marvel minimates will always be based on a 2" body'.

For further examples they are making an out of scale Newt from Aliens, despite being pretty close to the same size as Rocket compared to all the other humans.

Rocket is one of 5 core characters of GotG, so should have gotten a proper minimate IMO.

As I've said a full minimate and an in scale statue would be the best of both worlds, but If I could have only one option, I'd take the full minimate any day.

** Looks like Zach just posted while I was typing the post above and disagrees with the idea of keeping Rocket a full mate. I'm sure he knows more about both the movie and the minimate making process, so I'm going to quieten down for now... At least until I've seen the full lineups for TRU and Specialty. **

T.

Yeah, I think the small, non-poseable RR was the wrong move here. Would love to have a legit RR Minimate. Honestly not sure if I'll get the rest of the figures from this wave without him. The little plastic "statues" are nice for characters we might not otherwise get, but by and large we're Minimate collectors here, not "sculpted, non-poseable mini-figure" collectors. But the decision has been made, so that's that.