UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

To clarify, nothing was "held" for Toy Fair. We didn't wait to reveal things until Toy Fair because this was our big event. The design team worked like crazy to finish things for Toy Fair because THIS IS WHERE WE SELL THE TOYS. That is why things are being shown here for the first time. THAT is why we can't let you see them yet. Because we wanted to show actual products to retailers, to help with sales, and they were only finished last week. But I told people here we had a GotG line weeks ago, so if there was a lackluster reveal, it happened then, when I gave you all the scoop.

And I think the Minimates line is constantly adapting. The mini-statues in the Thundercats sets were a cool addition to the format, and I think they make that particular line far more cohesive. It might have been fine without Snarf and Ma-Mutt and the Berbils, but I think making them normal- or even child-sized Mates would have detracted from the overall aesthetic, and I think the same holds here. I understand the desire to pose a character, but I think making RR the same size as Star Lord (the child arms and legs only do so much) would have taken away a distinctive trait of the character.

I am not sure how the sets are shared with TRU, but I think the need to share key characters may have indeed played a factor.

Edited by DSTZach

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Zach, thanks for the info, it does clear some things up

few questions (feel free to ignore any you cant currently answer)

1. are there any repeated characters in this assortment (overall), repeated meaning multiple versions of one character, or is every mate designed for this set a different character (and yes i mean including the TRU sets, since i know the specialty wave has no repeats)

2. how many mates are exclusive to the TRU line up?

3. it may be too early to say, but what do you think the accessory load for these sets are gonna be like? i know the amount of movie mates this year means you guys have to get product out as timely as possible, do you think this will affect the amount of goodies in this wave? or is that purely reliant on the reference material?

Hey Zach, we all think it's *expletive* awesome that you feed our insatiable hunger for Minimates info. But I'd have to imagine everyone assumed GotG was going to get Minimates regardless, so we were all pining for photos come Toy Fair.

In any case, I'm a supporter of having a smaller Rocket even if that means sacrificing articulation. I mean, look at that gif in undeadpool's sig. He's tiny! I even wish Wolverine were a little shorter than a normal Minimate, but I'll live.

Not sure of case breakdowns, but this is the line-up.

Shared

Starlord/Ronan

Drax/Groot/Rocket

Specialty

Gamora/Nova Corps Centurion

Nebula/Sakaaran Trooper

(Not sure of relative rarity.)

TRU

Yondu/Sakaaran Trooper

(ASM2 will be 5/4/3 at TRU, so I assume something similar here.)

Undeadpool: Everyone gets knives or guns, I think, except maybe Groot. StarLord has a mask and might come with a walkman, we'll see.

Oh man this lineup is great. Excellent coverage of a large group of characters that doesn't seem to miss out on any. I wish Days of Future Past had this sort of coverage...

Is the Nova Corps Centurion gonna look like John C. Reilly?

So we get 9 characters in the LCS wave, and only one from the TRU wave? Okay :( I was hoping we would see at least one more new character in the TRU wave, but I guess getting two army builders in the LCS wave makes up for it.

I just read up on Yondu. Interesting story.

So, do we think this Palantír is the time gem? And Starlord is taking Vance Astro's spaceman story?

awesome thanks for the answers Zach :D

im a little bummed we wont see a Korath/Nova Prime/Collector minimate but the line up thus far is pretty damn great so ill get over it fast :P

cant wait to see more of these and this film

im sorry that the poorly taken set photo before visual effects and cgi was underwhelming....

but I would take a look at the trailer and you can sort of see that maybe just maybe, marvel knows what they're doing

also if you look closely hes got the Guardians logo on his jacket :D looks like he is gonna be part of a retired/past/future/something guardians team before he works with Quill :D

im sorry that the poorly taken set photo before visual effects and cgi was underwhelming....

but I would take a look at the trailer and you can sort of see that maybe just maybe, marvel knows what they're doing

also if you look closely hes got the Guardians logo on his jacket biggrin.png looks like he is gonna be part of a retired/past/future/something guardians team before he works with Quill biggrin.png

I think this movie looks amazing. I have no idea whether or not any more will be done to this design, but I know Mystery Man loves classic designs, and I know that unless the design is completely redesigned, it is not a classic design- cgi fin or no cgi fin.