UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez. Some people have too much free time. DST has done a great job representing their licenses.

Hell, the LCS wave is even different than the normal wave model to accommodate Gamora and Nebula.

Edited by Turtle

Suddenly everyone's a fan of Gamora uh? And every "fan" is going to rush to the store to buy all the Gamora products she can find. And it's DST's and Marvel's fault for not having Gamora shirts.GAMORA SHIRTS! Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? There are like what, 4 official Dr. Doom shirt designs. 4! 4 shirts of Marvel's greatest villain and yet, they ask shirts for a C-Lister. Because it's going to sell like hot cakes right? She ain't exactly Spider-Man or Darth Vader you know. Neither is she Leia or Wonder Woman.

Look, I get that she's part of the core team and all, and she should appear in all group shots but asking for shirts featuring only her, is, well, absurd. She has neither the marketability neither the timeless appeal of other characters. She's just in this summer's new comic hit, nothing more.

Reading the comments on the Bleeding Cool article, I have to wonder if people understand that there are two separate line-ups. Everyone keeps talking about the change as though Yondu was outright replacing Gamora and Nebula. Nebula and Gamora are in the LCS wave because that should make them easier for people without access to a TRU to obtain them. The Sakaraan got the double release because its an army builder. If Gamora had been packed with Yondu, all the people who want a full set would end up with a spare Gamora. I'll probably end up with extra Gamoras as it is because I want a few Nova Officers. I think Diamond made the right call.

Considering that most of that article is a correction to their previous article makes me think getting the facts right isn't their top priority. Bleeding Cool is nothing more than a gossip column filled with rumor, speculation and controversy designed to get the most page hits. I'm not saying the underlying issue of a lack of female merchandise isn't legit (it is) but the way they present it as a huge controversy is poor "journalism".

Seriously. Zach handled that really, really well. DST has always done a great job of making females for their movie lines. Hell, they made a Jane Foster action figure! Are people really that worked up that Gamora doesn't have as much merch as Rocket or Groot? Because neither does Drax. Because they are simply not as awesome as Rocket and Groot.

What they should REALLY be upset about... well, you know....other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

What they should REALLY be upset about... well, you know....other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

About Glen Close being snubbed and getting no minimate, despite the hours of screen-time she put in? Yeah, i'm pretty raw about that too tongue.png

My correction was poorly worded.

We decide who goes where, and we chose to make Star-Lord/Ronan and Drax/Groot the shared two-packs, perceiving them to be the figures people would want the most. We made Yondu the exclusive figure at TRU because it seemed unfair to make a lead character like Gamora an exclusive. Toys "R" Us is blameless. They did not choose Yondu over Gamora, and we did not give them Gamora.

My correction was poorly worded.

We decide who goes where, and we chose to make Star-Lord/Ronan and Drax/Groot the shared two-packs, perceiving them to be the figures people would want the most. We made Yondu the exclusive figure at TRU because it seemed unfair to make a lead character like Gamora an exclusive. Toys "R" Us is blameless. They did not choose Yondu over Gamora, and we did not give them Gamora.

Zach, I said this above, but I feel the need to say it more directly: you guys made the right call. I think the character pairings on the Guardians wave are some of the best I've seen in a while, and I think the placement of who went to which stores was handled the best way it could have been. Kudos to you guys.

I do think Yondu was a good choice for TRU, and Gamora a good choice for specialty. It's a shame people who don't understand how the assortments really shake out -- those who see TRU as the big show and comic/specialty as the also-rans, rather than an equal partnership -- are making this out to be a slight against Gamora.

On a happier note, here is Korath with the stickers applied (crappy cell phone pic since my boss lost my nice camera):

korath2_zpscaebebc3.jpg

He uses Hale Ceasar's upper body (from Expendables Series 1 Box Set) and Ronan's lower body. Better pics coming next week.

I made a few changes to the decal, so please use this version:

korath4_zps401f94a6.jpg

I am also working on a few other GOTG decals. :D

I had a feeling, when I read your reply Zach, that you did not literally mean "TRU chose Yondu over Gamora". Leave it to Rich Johnston to make that the lead, though. He misses the point that you are trying to drive sales to both retail locations, so it really makes little sense to send the whole team to TRU. You could have just as easily replace Gamora with Drax and no one would bat an eye.

I just think it is a shame minimates were unfairly brought into the argument to help prove a point. You can't expect everyone to understand how a line is decided. But any exposure for minimates can't be bad, right? I'm just taking the article as free advertisement. You know someone will read that article and want Groot and Rocket. Then it goes downhill from there, heh heh heh. Suckers! tongue.png

That custom looks great, Luke! Looking forward to putting mine together when all of the parts arrive. A few other decals, eh? Chest decals for Starlord and Gamora Ravager outfits?

Yeah it's too bad the Rocket in the LCS and TRU assortments weren't different, one orange and one ravager maroon. Throw in an angry Groot expression in one of those assortments as well to complete the awesomeness

Edited by Zylek

Bleeding Cool has an update that I just noticed. But the damage is done and the article is currently at the bottom of the page and ready to be out of the front page and forgotten. I appreciate Zach trying to make things better, but I think it just confused them more and now it seems to imply that the rage should be directed to Diamond? I think we all know the real story and the rationale behind the chosen lineup.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/13/toys-r-us-asked-to-switch-out-gamora-and-nebula-for-yondu-wheresgamora/

UPDATE: Diamond Select Toys got in touch with us after we ran the initial version of this article and said that, despite their specific wording, as reported verbatim by Bleeding Cool, Toys ‘R’ Us did not choose to have Yondu instead of Gamora. Diamond chose to give them Yondu as an exclusive, along with the two shared two-packs of Star-Lord/Ronan and Groot/Drax/Rocket. Diamond decided who would be in those two main shared two-packs, and it was Diamond who chose to make Gamora and Nebula available only at comic shops and speciality stores, not Toys ‘R’ Us. Though this seems to go against their original statement, this is Diamond’s current explanation of what occurred.

Look! Dancing Baby Groot! He's so cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMkwRd5JMA