UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly on first hearing of the movie I was like meh! This is going to be the one marvel film that they released upto now which is going to tank compared to the others.

The more I saw the more it was like ok this looking better and better with the more info. On the short release of the usual suspects style picture and bit of film I was ok I'm in they may not be the guardians I knew and prefer (80/90ish) but this actually looks good. The full trailer came and I was like WOW! colour me converted this looks great...Good humour, action and a nice look. Again not my guardians but I will go an see this and put the word in the ears of friends who like sci-fi but aren't as wired into the news like the rest of us.

these are prob the style that most ppl want 01_GroupPromo.jpg

But these are the ones I want gotg.jpg

Who am I kidding I'd take both. Sorry cant remember who made these customs. They still look wow now all credit to you.

Not sure of case breakdowns, but this is the line-up.

Shared

Starlord/Ronan

Drax/Groot/Rocket

Specialty

Gamora/Nova Corps Centurion

Nebula/Sakaaran Trooper

TRU

Yondu/Sakaaran Trooper

I stand corrected.

740u2.jpg

Super stoked about this set! Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy series is one of my all time favorites and to be getting a set of minimates that closely resembles that series is a dream come true. The mini Rocket looks awesome. A giant raccoon the same size as the rest of the characters would look a tad silly.

A giant raccoon the same size as the rest of the characters would look a tad silly.

As silly as a mini Sentinel the same size as....oh....wait.

Not necessarily true. The original sentinels in X-Men #14 were barely taller than a regular human and over time a sentinels height has varied depending on the model. So to have a minimate representation of a sentinel the same size as other mates isn't all that silly. On the other hand, a raccoon has a standard size that is always smaller than a human.

i think if it were comic Rocket i'd be down for a mate, simply because rocket in the comic's varies in scale, to the point where he CAN be as tall as say Puck when drawn by certain artists, not to mention i'd want the interchangeability for his various comic costumes and such

but for the film, im so glad Rocket is small enough to fit on Groot's shoulder

A giant raccoon the same size as the rest of the characters would look a tad silly.

As silly as a mini Sentinel the same size as....oh....wait.

What's the oh wait? Are you saying you liked the Setinel? Because I didn't, it's to small and looks bad next to the X-Men. So they're off in the back of my displays.

i think if it were comic Rocket i'd be down for a mate, simply because rocket in the comic's varies in scale, to the point where he CAN be as tall as say Puck when drawn by certain artists, not to mention i'd want the interchangeability for his various comic costumes and such

but for the film, im so glad Rocket is small enough to fit on Groot's shoulder

Totally agree about Rocket. If it was a comic wave I would hope for a standard mate with kid limbs, but for the movie Groot with Rocket on the shoulder is the display option I want.

It all has to do with the size constraints of the Marvel license. A sentinel figure cannot be made larger than 2 inches, but it can be made as source accurate as possible within the confines of the license. In an ideal world, I would love a massive sentinel. I understand that I may never get a larger sentinel, so I am appreciative to get any representation of a sentinel in the toy line I support. That being said, I think Rocket was made to be as accurate to source material as possible. Groot cannot be made larger, but rocket can be made smaller to be used as a sort of accessory for Groot. If Guardians is a smash hit, further Rockets could be made that are on a scale similar to Puck. Im not opposed to a larger more articulate Rocket, but I wouldn't like for him to be the same size as Groot.

I'd be opposed to a larger comic Rocket as well.

I've always found the logic behind the height restriction odd. Would a 6" minimate actually interfere with Hasbro's product any more than a standard minimate two-pack? Scale or style seems more important than absolute measurements, but I suppose it's easier to measure a figure's height than to determine if it's blocky enough. I realize that's the way these things work, it just seems a little silly.

I'd argue that block figures are their own category. I'm sure mass market manufacturers insist they're just action figures in a different style but these have a modular play pattern that most action figures don't have. (Although Hasbro recent jumped on the mix & match bandwagon with their Hero Mashers, but I digress...)

The height restriction started with Toy Biz. I get the feeling the restriction was grandfathered in when Hasbro acquired the property. It seems like no one at DST cares to challenge it because what they've got is working. Not much sense in engineering a larger Minimate body just so DST can offer, what, a handful of viable, oversized characters?

I'd love an over-sized Sentinel, Galactus, and Giant Man, maybe even a Fin Fang Foom but I have no idea how much they'd have to retail for. (When it comes to materials costs and shipping, you're not just talking about height but volume.)

• 2 weeks later...

So, in one picture I found online, you can see Groot and some guy in a red jacket clearly, has this picture been posted? Is it something you've all seen and we're just not supposed to post it here?

• 2 weeks later...