UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Guardians of the Galaxy

Valo487

So are you suggesting to simply call them koalas? because I don't think anyone said they were bears...

That's their name, like a red panda isn't a panda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their name is "koala". Not "koala bear". I learned this when I was, like, 8. I'm 31 now.

Of course, people still call apes "monkeys" (and the aforementioned sea mammals "fish"), so whatever. Guess I'm the stupid one for trying to be correct. Eyerl.gif

Anyways, what I can see of Rocket, Groot & Starlord (and Drax's leg) are awesome! I can't wait to see more detailed pictures!

they're sentient robot koala bears

Koalas are marsupials, not bears. tongue.png

Thank you for doing this so that i didn't have to pull out my 'Australia Card' and make the correction myself tongue.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koala

Or, if that's not a reliable enough reference: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/koala

They're called "Koala Bears" by people who don't know any better (probably the same people who call whales & dolphins "fish"), but it's incorrect.

Again - thank you smile.png

Like most things from Australia, koalas kind of scare me.

You should be scared. They get pretty nasty....

(warning - the image may distress people)

drop-bear-image.jpg

Edited by Nessex

aweee mannnnn, REALLY stupid call on a non articulated rocket. i don't understand, first we get 2 marvel legends with un articulated feet, a marvel universe thats fully un articulated and now we get ANOTHER unarticulated rocket. this sucks

i was totally banking on using this for all my ml displays to have an articulated rocket.

im sad brb #NO #YOLO

Set up a poll to see if the verse prefers the non sculpted figure to an actual mate. I'm pro Snarf statue, to me it's a no brainer, but for those who are disappointed about not getting an actual mate my condolences, I want everyone to be happy.

I am Groot?

Set up a poll to see if the verse prefers the non sculpted figure to an actual mate. I'm pro Snarf statue, to me it's a no brainer, but for those who are disappointed about not getting an actual mate my condolences, I want everyone to be happy.

I am Groot?

What would be the point? DST isn't going to change the assortment now. And if it's like the most wanted villain poll you end up with something like 20 votes which would be useless for arguing anything.

So we're not going to freak out that Groot is the same height as Star-lord and isn't 3 inches tall but we are that Rocket is actually in-scale. Uh-huh. This is a silly argument.

Anyway. Loving that DST made Star-lord in the closed jacket. It's a nicer, more superhero-sci-fi look than the open one he's sporting everywhere else, should look really neat with the mask. Really want to see the villains; very nice surprise to be getting more than one.

So we're not going to freak out that Groot is the same height as Star-lord and isn't 3 inches tall but we are that Rocket is actually in-scale. Uh-huh. This is a silly argument.

Anyway. Loving that DST made Star-lord in the closed jacket. It's a nicer, more superhero-sci-fi look than the open one he's sporting everywhere else, should look really neat with the mask. Really want to see the villains; very nice surprise to be getting more than one.

I think it's ridiculous that DST is making an exception to keep the smaller characters in scale and not the larger ones. I'm fine with Groot being the same size as Star-Lord, just as I would have been fine with Rocket being the same size. Minimates are not an in-scale line, and never have been.

I'm not freaking out about Groot, especially since it looks like with special feet, a waist piece, and presumably a sculpted head he is going to be taller than Star-Lord. And the movie version appears to be significantly shorter than the comic version anyway. I just don't understand why as we're nearing Wave 60 some people expect the Wave 5 rules to apply.

I always think about it as proportion, not scale. Groot, Galactus, Sentinels etc are not in scale, but they have correct proportion. They have human body proportions. Rocket on a human body would be kind of weird, even if they did use the smaller limbs from the Peter Pan figures. Of course there's exceptions to every rule, but I'm with DST on this one.

Articulation is an interesting argument. Not sure if there's licensing rules around it or just the cost of tooling, but even just a head or shoulder joint would be cool.

Edited by bigvis497

I think the point is all articulated minimates are 2 inch scales. Anything above or below that gets no articulation and is treated as either an accessory or a bad business decisio... I mean statue. Meaning the Raccoon's an accessory. An adorable accessory, but an accessory.

That "accessory" gets us an additional figure. Honestly, i have two questions: What does Rocket really need to do that he needs to be on a normal body, and did you expect new arms and legs to be sculpted for him? I honestly just don't think he'd look right as a normal figure, scale or sculpt wise. (For the record, i don't care about Groot being bigger. That was just a point i was making.) For me, he just needs to be shooting a gun, like he'll probably spend most of the movie doing.

Accessory, character, call it what you will, but he's still getting made, he'll look fine next to the team, and we get an additional character from the movie because of it. I'm pretty fine with the choice.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/02/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_team1-610x457.jpg

This pic was posted on IGN today of the Guardians team. (I can't get the links / attachments to work, or even copy and paste, sorry. Hopefully it works).

Anyway, Rocket's looking pretty small. I think a full sized 'mate would look really weird next to the others. It's not just about height, but also mass.

Also, Groot's not looking as big as some people are making him out to be. I know he's in the background here, but he still looks shorter than Hulk in the Avengers. I think people (myself included) thought he'd be very large because my only experience with walking trees is Treebeard.

I think a short Rocket was a good idea based on this. I wasn't sold until I saw this pic, but now I think anything else would look stupid. I'm okay with large characters being brought down to 2", but small ones brought up seems odd.

So for those that say they don't understand why some of us are Dissapointed that we are not getting a proper Rocket minimate...

It would be like saying if they made a game of thrones minimates that Tyrion should be a single piece plastic accessory, because it would be silly making him the same size as Hodor.

For those saying, but it gets us an extra figure... it's like saying they shouldn't make Carl for walking dead, because it would mean they could fill the space with another zombie.

For those saying I don't know how it would work using a normal minimate body... Brood , Lockjaw, Modok, Slimer, Battle beasts... have all shown that some very unexpected minimates are totally possible with a little inventiveness. I'm pretty sure he could have been a 2/3 height minimate with shorter leg pieces and arms. for legs I'm thinking something akin to shorter versions of those used on the bird from battle beasts, for example.

Realistically we know it's to late for it to change but there are plenty of us who feel Rocket has been short changed and DST might have made a mistake, after all the movie is called Guardians of the Galaxy and he's the only member of the team not getting a full minimate.

T.

I get why you're upset if you wanted a full figure, I was just putting it out there why I wasn't upset anymore after seeing an in-movie picture.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised at all of the anger. Not that people have it, but more that people actually care. We had that poll about a year ago about Heroes that absolutely needed to be made. Rocket came in the finals with less than 1% of the poll. I feel like the love for a full Rocket Raccoon Minimate went from zero to 100 overnight once it was revealed he was a one-piece.

Something also tells me it would be equal disappointment from the other side if he were a full-fledged Minimate. I think no matter how they made him, it was never going to win over 100% of us.

Edited by Minimatetastic