UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 59* **: X-citing possibilities. (*edited for posterity [**again])

Nessex

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And from my perspective you don't get to 59 series of Marvel Minimates by intentionally letting minor errors slip through because a few consumers accept it.

Except it's not an error. The figure was designed from provided artwork, a design approved by Marvel, a figure painted to look like the art and approved as a painted prototype. And the sample matches it exactly. What people here want (and I understand why they do) is an UPDATE to a finished, approved, accurate-to-art-provided figure.

I didn't fall over myself to request a change earlier because, while it could be MORE accurate based on new artwork, it would be extra work for an already busy design team, and another round of approvals for both us and Marvel. ANXM sells well, I believe, but I think many customers will be in the "not aware of the exact costume details" camp.

^This. So, Zach, when are we gonna have a final decision on this?

And from my perspective you don't get to 59 series of Marvel Minimates by intentionally letting minor errors slip through because a few consumers accept it.

Except it's not an error. The figure was designed from provided artwork, a design approved by Marvel, a figure painted to look like the art and approved as a painted prototype. And the sample matches it exactly. What people here want (and I understand why they do) is an UPDATE to a finished, approved, accurate-to-art-provided figure.

I didn't fall over myself to request a change earlier because, while it could be MORE accurate based on new artwork, it would be extra work for an already busy design team, and another round of approvals for both us and Marvel. ANXM sells well, I believe, but I think many customers will be in the "not aware of the exact costume details" camp.

Just to be clear, I was responding in kind to mcg031 who said:

Try to look at it from my POV we have 59 waves of minimates..I honestly didn't think we'd get that many ( let alone a Scarlet Spider & Luke Cage) so be thankful and not pitch a fit over a minor error

Believe me, as a Marvel licensee myself, I've seen stuff like this happen with the product I've designed over the last 20 years. I totally appreciate DST's position. As I said before, it's a professional curiosity.

And like you said earlier, it's not the first time toys have gone to market looking somewhat different than what ended up on film. Star Trek Generations leaps to mind. Playmates Toys created figures based on concepts that ended up never getting used in any production of Star Trek so I've seen this type of thing happen before, as a collector and as a manufacturer. That's why I mentioned a running change.

oZ1kIhv.jpg

................& here comes MisterPL biggrin.png .........

Well, yeah.

Duh. ;)

Aside from TMNT and Predator, I'm also going to guess Game of Thrones. It seems like they have more and more stuff produced all the time. They already have some GoT vinyl blind boxes. I believe they would work for Minimates as well. Which I would buy all of them.

If Bobby ends up looking like Tyrion from Game of Thrones, that's a whole other issue.

No need to apologize, Mr. Oat. I just wanted to make sure you understood I wasn't entirely unsympathetic to your position. DST/AA has an enviable track record when it comes to things like this which is why it tends to stand out so much when the unfortunate happens. This is a rare hiccup and it's not even yours. Knowing the "why" of it certainly helps and I thank you for your candor.

Wow did I miss the shitstorm in this thread! Can understand why some people would be upset but I'd prefer a Champions version anyway. Besides, Iceman is usually displayed on ice I would think?

Anyone here read the comic? Know it's supposed to be very good but kinda wary of all the continuity stuff, kinda makes my head spin. For example, so now there are three different versions of Beast? Current, past All-New and the evil future one? That's the kind of stuff that throws me off. And why is X-23 there? So now a version of Jean is alive yet again? Still pissed they brought her back for X-Factor! Still may check it out though, love X-Men (obviously) and the reviews are excellent from my understanding.

Wow did I miss the shitstorm in this thread! Can understand why some people would be upset but I'd prefer a Champions version anyway. Besides, Iceman is usually displayed on ice I would think?

Anyone here read the comic? Know it's supposed to be very good but kinda wary of all the continuity stuff, kinda makes my head spin. For example, so now there are three different versions of Beast? Current, past All-New and the evil future one? That's the kind of stuff that throws me off. And why is X-23 there? So now a version of Jean is alive yet again? Still pissed they brought her back for X-Factor! Still may check it out though, love X-Men (obviously) and the reviews are excellent from my understanding.

Actually, there are 4 Beasts trapped in current 616 (O5, Dark AoA Beast, 616, and Future Brotherhood)

X-23 joined the team after being saved from the Purifiers by the O5.

Its pretty good, and its fun to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Zach, any idea when we'll know the final decision? This debate and issue need to be out to rest.

Waiting to hear if we caught it in time.

Any idea when that will be though?

Any word on the Bobby Drake situation, Zach?

Still wondering if you know what's up with Bobby Drake, Zach...

My guess is it will be a "when he knows something, he'll post" kind of situation...remember, Zach's involved with the marketing side of Minimates, not the production end.

I'd wager that we are getting the incorrect Bobby that was based on art provided by and then finally approved by Marvel.

This weekend I made a significant dent in my backlog of comics. I'm really looking forward to this wave now, and I'm reeeeeeaally hoping we get X-23 and Professor Pryde in a follow up set.

Zach, any idea when we'll know the final decision? This debate and issue need to be out to rest.

Waiting to hear if we caught it in time.

Any idea when that will be though?

Still wondering if you know what's up with Bobby Drake, Zach...

My guess is it will be a "when he knows something, he'll post" kind of situation...remember, Zach's involved with the marketing side of Minimates, not the production end.

Ok. I'd at least expect the courtesy of replying to ONE of my posts with a "don't know anything yet," if that's the case.

I would also expect the incorrect version. Doesn't seem like something that would be worth changing, from a business POV. That look was solicited, so sales aren't likely going to be drastically altered by a decision to change it or anything.

...You know this isn't my personal inbox, right? No need to post it four times.

After I responded on the 28th, I must not have seen your follow-up on the same day, but I would have probably responded to it eventually.

I check New Content almost daily, and go through every thread that appears on the first page. But clearly, I haven't been back to this thread, so it must have gotten bumped to page two each time. Very strange. May have to do with when you're posting.

As far as I know, we have made the change. Apologies to everyone who wanted the classic-ish version. Waiting to see some pictures.