UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 59* **: X-citing possibilities. (*edited for posterity [**again])

Nessex

They wouldn't need to pull stunts like this if writers would stop confusing a healing factor with invincibility for "cool" moments. It took Wolverine days to heal when the Reavers left him crucified in the desert. Now he heals in a matter of seconds after being incinerated down to his skeleton. Yawn.

A thousand times this.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I have an idea of box set that you'd make me pretty happy: classic disco Dazzler, classic Rogue, Mystique and Destiny. I've heard that female sets don't sell so well as other sets, but geez... Imagine the disco Dazzler mate with silver outfit and roller blades (dreaming is free, right?!).

For a modern look, I'd vote for the recent looks for Cyclops, Magik (with Phoenix Five variant), Magneto, Rogue, Storm and Rachel Summers.

Oh no has to be roller skates not blades :)

Once again, I have an idea of box set that you'd make me pretty happy: classic disco Dazzler, classic Rogue, Mystique and Destiny. I've heard that female sets don't sell so well as other sets, but geez... Imagine the disco Dazzler mate with silver outfit and roller blades (dreaming is free, right?!).

For a modern look, I'd vote for the recent looks for Cyclops, Magik (with Phoenix Five variant), Magneto, Rogue, Storm and Rachel Summers.

Oh no has to be roller skates not blades :)

Ops, sorry! ;)

This is what happens when we get too much background on a cool character.

Back in MY day, Wolverine was mysterious. (Terribly mysterious!) No one knew his real name. We'd argue over whether his bones had been replaced by adamantium or whether they were merely laced with it. We weren't even sure where his claws popped out. (Which apparently still varies by artist.) And don't get me started on all the debates over his healing factor since it was never portrayed consistently, even back then.

I'd have argued that his bones aren't totally covered by adamantium. It's more like a mesh covering to allow the bones to do their job. The healing factor was pivotal in surviving such a surgery. That's why Wolverine was chosen.

Today most people know the character as a 6' 2" Clint Eastwood lookalike, not the 5' 3" stocky Canadian from earlier comics. Even now his comic book proportions make him look more like his big screen counterpart merely scaled down like an overgrown Hobbit.

As for the weight of adamantium, according to one source Logan's normal weight would be 195 lbs. With the adamantium he's an even 300. That's still a lot of extra weight to be carrying around but he's got the muscle to do it. In fact, WITH a healing factor, he really shouldn't be so muscular. The dude really should be stick thin if his body's constantly repairing the damage that gives us muscle mass.

But what do I know. I'm from the 20th century. Snikt! Pew!

The issue of Adamantium poisoning was addressed in a one off of Beast giving him some serum to counter the effects. The fake claws are indeed so he doesn't have to pop the real ones, as he can't keep doing that safely.

As for the over accelerated healing factor, blame two things: the loss of his Adamantium at Magneto's hands and Deadpool. The former have its a period where Logan's healing factor was maxed out and he couldn't heal well, but in time - not having to combat the Adamantium poisoning - it ramped up and made him nigh-invulnerable. When the metal was added back, though, no one seemed to remember to power him down. Probably because Deadpool was now prominently on the scene. When Wade's healing factor was introduced it was regenerative as opposed to Logan's which was recuperative. Logan could heal a cut, Wade could grow back a hand. With no claws or heightened senses it was what set him apart from Wolverine. But after the Adamantium removal and replacement, writers wanted to do the same crazy shit to Logan they'd done to Wade, and everything started to fall apart.

Interesting. I'm guessing the second set of claws are meant to get readers so used to them that when the gauntlets come off, they forget all about the first set.

Claremont & Miller did a pretty good job doing that during that famous sword fight between Logan and Lord Shingen. I got so involved watching a traditional swordfight I'd forgotten about the claws until SNIKT! ohmy.png

I always figured the unofficial reason why Wolverine's healing factor kicked into high gear was because of his time as a horseman of Apocalypse. I mean, it would make sense. And that's around the time his healing ability was getting out of control.

Just a thought.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing that look immortalized in plastic.

Hrmm... that... isn't the worst idea ever. I actually always thought a story focusing on those Apocalypse had upgraded over the years might be interesting. Wolverine, Cyclops, Archangel, and Cable in particular

Wouldn't it though? Like Wolverine, Gambit, Sunfire, and Cyclops get together to talk about what Archangel has been going through for the past few years and wonder if it'll happen to them. Or better, come up with a plan if they start reverting back to those horseman ways.

Also, boxset of X-Horsemen with Wolverine, Gambit, Polaris, and a Cyc-pocalypse would be the best thing ever.

Here's the funny part though... He DID make them better. Warren got his wings back, Logan's healing factor ramped up (if we attribute that to Apocalypse), Cyclops grew a pair... and don't get me started on Cable, whose powers would have burnt his body out if the TO virus didn't hold them in check. Survival of the fittest? Or is Apocalypse hand-picking who the fittest will be?

This, however, was just stupid.

wolverine3-48.jpg

Sorry - am i to understand that Wolverine actually became an animated
style skeleton for an issue?

Have you not read this issue? No, it's not THAT bad (I guess)... Nitro blows up and in the process incinerates all the flesh from Logan's skeleton. This is literally all that is left of him. Then he grows back.