UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 59* **: X-citing possibilities. (*edited for posterity [**again])

Nessex

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easier to add the black but it's not easy. Very few of us can do it in a way that doesn't look awful. If they're doing team looks then Bobby ought to look like he fits with the team. I'm definitely not for DST setting the precedent of making a character wrong because it will kind of look like something else that some people might want.

Asking for an inaccurate Bobby Drake because it'll kinda look like another inaccurate Bobby Drake feels a little like me asking for a Bobby Drake that's SO messed up, it looks like a Teen Titans Aqualad because, dammit, I want a Teen Titans Aqualad.

Where are your standards, people? If folks want a Champions Bobby then champion one. I'm not gonna start a campaign begging DST for the upcoming Gray Hulk to include blue armor because I want to make a Dark Knight Returns Batman out of it. dry.png

I hope someone at Marvel insists on correcting the colors on this figure.

I have no interest in a Champions Bobby so i'm on the ANXM camp but since it's quite unlikely that it'll be changed i've made my piece (get it? because piece and peace sound the same and we're talking about toys......I'll let myself out) with it. Truth be told, he does look unfinished but oh well, what can you do.

Like I said, even without the source reference, it just looks wrong. He's the only one who doesn't have the uniform look.

If it's really like that in the artwork sent to China, I'd take another look at the digital file because I'm guessing a layer was accidentally turned off or deleted.

Yeah, it must be a layer thing because all the regions that should be black are "blank", meaning they are white since that's the base color of the parts.

Also noticed that Hank seems to be missing something on his feet parts, there is jagged raised portions but are colored the same as the rest of the foot. Is the top supposed to be black?

a83ba3ce-51f0-4d58-8b8e-698beb53dc00_zps

Edited by Zylek

Like I said, even without the source reference, it just looks wrong. He's the only one who doesn't have the uniform look.

If it's really like that in the artwork sent to China, I'd take another look at the digital file because I'm guessing a layer was accidentally turned off or deleted.

Or, since this was the chase figure, perhaps they were trying to save on the cost of an additional tampo strike on the legs, arms, and sides of the chest block. The fact that the black collar area is missing from the front of the chest even though there is already a black plate on that surface does make this look more like an "oopsie," though…

From a manufacturing standpoint (if it's anything like commercial printing), I would guess that once a figure is in the final paint sample stage the entire lot has already been run, whomever was "press checking" signed off on it, and these are mostly for reference. The error would have to be pretty egregious to justify the cost and delay of making new tampo plates and rerunning them.

Also noticed that Hank seems to be missing something on his feet parts, there is jagged raised portions but are colored the same as the rest of the foot. Is the top supposed to be black?

Early paint samples. Beast's feet are not final.

Or, since this was the chase figure, perhaps they were trying to save on the cost of an additional tampo strike on the legs, arms, and sides of the chest block.

I'm not in favor of sacrificing authenticity like this for a modest cost savings. Chase figure or not, if they can't afford to do it right, I'm not interested. I'd sooner ditch stands (something we now offered separately) than see this kind of cost saving.

Asking for an inaccurate Bobby Drake because it'll kinda look like another inaccurate Bobby Drake feels a little like me asking for a Bobby Drake that's SO messed up, it looks like a Teen Titans Aqualad because, dammit, I want a Teen Titans Aqualad.

One flaw in your argument - no one asked for this. Some of us accepted that it's happening and see an advantage to it, that's all

It sure read like people were expressing a preference rather than apathy to me once they discovered the error:

Man, I hope they don't blacken up Bobby's costume. That's ruin it for me.

Ha, me too. That's a deal-breaker for the Champions look!

I want a more classic Bobby. I hope the black stays off the figure.

ANYWAY, I too hope they don't add the black to Bobby's suit; it's a much nicer classic Bobby look this way.

Just sayin'. Maybe "want," "hope," and "deal-breaker" mean something different where I come from. tongue.png

I'm all for making lemonade out of lemons but not when I'm expecting steak. It's rare that we get an entire team at once. It's even rarer that we get a powered-down version of Bobby. I just want ALL of them to be correct, even the one you want. I know I'd rather have an accurate Champions Bobby Drake than a misfit fill-in.

I'm not in favor of sacrificing authenticity like this for a modest cost savings. Chase figure or not, if they can't afford to do it right, I'm not interested. I'd sooner ditch stands (something we now offered separately) than see this kind of cost saving.

I agree with this 100%. I'm afraid we've seen things start to slide in this direction lately (see: every recent Spider-Man 'mate) and I don't care for it at all. I'd much rather have DST work out another way to make the necessary profit than make an inaccurate or cheap-looking minimate.

I have no issues about having a Champion-era Bobby Drake, but since this is not a Champion wave... Otherwise, Angel's terrible costume would be missing, wouldn't it?

And I really don't know if it's easy or difficult to add the black part to Bobby's torso. It's not my job. I'm not paying for the wave plus shipping fee to Brazil, which is not cheap, to do that kind of thing. Sorry.

Before collecting Minimates I collect comics and accuracy on the character transformed into a Minimate is the least I can expect... I really don't want to extend the discussion on Bobby's color but I do think this is the space to express our different points of view. :)

It sure read like people were expressing a preference rather than apathy to me once they discovered the error:

Man, I hope they don't blacken up Bobby's costume. That's ruin it for me.

Ha, me too. That's a deal-breaker for the Champions look!

I want a more classic Bobby. I hope the black stays off the figure.

ANYWAY, I too hope they don't add the black to Bobby's suit; it's a much nicer classic Bobby look this way.

Just sayin'. Maybe "want," "hope," and "deal-breaker" mean something different where I come from. :P

I'm all for making lemonade out of lemons but not when I'm expecting steak. It's rare that we get an entire team at once. It's even rarer that we get a powered-down version of Bobby. I just want ALL of them to be correct, even the one you want. I know I'd rather have an accurate Champions Bobby Drake than a misfit fill-in.

Again, though... We didn't ask for it. We didn't say "Hey, Zach, can you guys leave the black off?" We were TOLD "Hey, he doesn't have the black" and we said "Oh, actually, we like that better. Cool." There IS a distinct difference.

And - while I understand wanting the accurate ANXM Bobby, we DO get an accurate ANXM team by way of the powered up figure. Just saying. You got steak AND lemonade. You'd just rather have a Coke and maybe get an iced tea with lemon some other time lol

Well, thank God my Viper came with green hair... my Selene dresses in black... Alicia Masters is really blind...

Come on, we are talking about an error in a wave that will be released in how many months? The chances of it being corrected are not small I suppose. Well, I actually don't know about that, but anyway, why not include two torsos so we get the real Bobby Drake and a variant of the variant for the Champions team?

Again, though... We didn't ask for it. We didn't say "Hey, Zach, can you guys leave the black off?" We were TOLD "Hey, he doesn't have the black" and we said "Oh, actually, we like that better. Cool." There IS a distinct difference.

And - while I understand wanting the accurate ANXM Bobby, we DO get an accurate ANXM team by way of the powered up figure. Just saying. You got steak AND lemonade. You'd just rather have a Coke and maybe get an iced tea with lemon some other time lol

No, I understand that no one asked for it. It just bugs me that people are willing to accept it as is just because it kinda, sorta looks like another version of the character. I'm glad we get another decent powered-up Ice Man but like I said, it's so rare we get powered-down versions, I'd like them to be correct.

I also have to admit that I'm looking at this (and the recurring Spider-Man head tampo situation) as a Marvel licensee. As an anal-retentive, authenticity-craving collector, I'm concerned but if I were Art Director on this, I'd want to know why these things are happening when they didn't before. Did Marvel approve it? Did the control art change? Is there a problem at the factory? It's a professional curiosity.

But I'm a fan of Cokeâ„¢. It's not good for me but I like it. smile.png

Aren't some of these comments a little harsh? I mean, these aren't individually created pieces of art. Mistakes happen when things are created en masse. Can't we just take it in stride like the grown adult men, who also make mistakes, that we are?

Actually the process does start as an individually created piece of art. What some of us are trying to prevent is it becoming a mass-produced mistake. That's all.

Aren't some of these comments a little harsh? I mean, these aren't individually created pieces of art. Mistakes happen when things are created en masse. Can't we just take it in stride like the grown adult men, who also make mistakes, that we are?

A whole lot of this. I'm sorry that some of you are disappointed, and I certainly wouldn't be upset if they were able to fix this in time, but it's not the end of the world.