UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 59* **: X-citing possibilities. (*edited for posterity [**again])

Nessex

While these 'mates look good, I'm just tired of buying the same characters over and over just in different costumes. I understand why DST makes the more recognizable characters, but there are so many X-Men villains that have yet to be made. If I didn't have the sickness of being a completist I would be passing on these.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While these 'mates look good, I'm just tired of buying the same characters over and over just in different costumes. I understand why DST makes the more recognizable characters, but there are so many X-Men villains that have yet to be made. If I didn't have the sickness of being a completist I would be passing on these.

I think you might be in love with the wrong property.

Marvel is usually "The same characters... in the different costumes" since thats why most people still read them.

Minimates have the amazing appeal to finding outfits and era specific looks just to appeal to us, rather than boring ol' normal minifigures.

DST has to appeal to both us, and still entice new comers to collect, who either saw a movie or read a new series. Hence why Marvel Now has been getting a good push in minimates.

Marvel is usually "The same characters... in the different costumes" since thats why most people still read them.

Minimates have the amazing appeal to finding outfits and era specific looks just to appeal to us, rather than boring ol' normal minifigures.

DST has to appeal to both us, and still entice new comers to collect, who either saw a movie or read a new series. Hence why Marvel Now has been getting a good push in minimates.

The original reason why I started collecting this line was because they were making characters that other lines wouldn't TOUCH. Without that, the line loses ninety percent of its appeal to me. The Marvel Universe is a pretty big #$@ing place. I do think there's a way to please everybody, like when two packs would use a popular character to anchor a two pack with a lesser known character. Edited by bigvis497

I'm well aware that Marvel is usually the same characters in different costumes changing throughout the years, its just that after 59 waves it would be nice if there was a wider variety of characters choices instead of relying on the same main characters over and over. Like I said; I completely understand why DST does it, but it would be nice if an unmade character or two would get mixed in to each wave(yes I know Bobby Drake is an unmade character). Just because I have a low post count doesn't mean I haven't been a member here since the very first day this forum was created after the old AA forum went down and that I haven't been collecting minimates since the very beginning.

Edited by Santos L Halper

The original reason why I started collecting this line was because they were making characters that other lines wouldn't TOUCH. Without that, the line loses ninety percent of its appeal to me. The Marvel Universe is a pretty big #$@ing place. I do think there's a way to please everybody, like when two packs would use a popular character to anchor a two pack with a lesser known character.

We would all love new characters or iconic looks, I know, but not like we've been dying. This year seems like a meh year due to the movie blitz, but still, look at last year. The comic Cap wave and the Fan Vote wave alone helped a lot of people get made, so its not like its the end of the world. Next year looks like we'll see less of a glut of Marvel movies, so comic waves will get a larger push then. Along with boxsets and exclusives.

I'm well aware that Marvel is usually the same characters in different costumes changing throughout the years, its just that after 59 waves it would be nice if there was a wider variety of characters choices instead of relying on the same main characters over and over. Like I said; I completely understand why DST does it, but it would be nice if an unmade character or two would get mixed in to each wave(yes I know Bobby Drake is an unmade character). Just because I have a low post count doesn't mean I haven't been a member here since the very first day this forum was created after the old AA forum went down and that I haven't been collecting minimates since the very beginning.

I'm not being condescending, just voicing an idea out loud. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I can't decide if I don't want any of these, or if I want a paiir of Iceman/Sentinel packs. De-iced Bobby looks very Capcom-y. I'm seriously considering posing him leaning on his iced up form.

SPEAKING OF... I'm hoping we get some awesome ice accessories. This Iceman actually doesn't look especially "All New" as he tends to be very snowman-ish in the book. So this COULD become a new gold standard Iceman with the right accessories

Sorry this assortment is causing such divisiveness. It was not meant to be some sort of rejection of newness, it was meant to celebrate something truly new. Brand-new costumes from a relatively new book with some good buzz -- if you hate the storyline, that's fine, but I think you'll find most people seem to enjoy it. But these costumes might not have garnered an entire wave if they had not been fairly popular characters, ones who had (for the most part) not been made in a while.

(Also, there are two new characters in this assortment: We have never made Sentinels #2749RF65K or #812TR463L.)

I know we can't coast on Series 54 forever, but there were 5 or 6 new characters in that assortment, depending on how you interpret the Hydra Elite/Supreme Hydra and the robotic Red Skull body. There will be new characters again, soon, I hope, but not for a little while.

Iceman and Bobby might both have some cool ice accessories, both new and re-used, and not necessarily the same ones. There are also some alternate head and hairpiece designs for Cyke, Beast and Jean, but we'll see which make the cut.

(Also, there are two new characters in this assortment: We have never made Sentinels #2749RF65K or #812TR463L.)

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the numbers in refernce to? Are these the offical model numbers of certain types of Sentinels in the MU?

Count me in as happy for a powered-down Bobby yes.gif

The numbers are in reference to numbers I just made up.

My point, if I indeed had one, was that every army-builder is a new character.

"I'm not a Sentinel, I'm a person, and my name is Frank."

'Aaaaaand the award for missing the obvious joke goes to ..... (drum roll please)..... Nessex!

Congratulations Nessex - you've won the respect and admiration of nobody reading this thread.'

*facepalm*

I really like Iceman and Sentinel. Good look on Jean and Scott's visor looks amazing. I also love any character with wings... Bobby and hank are slightly lack luster but complete the set.

Costumes don't bother me at all other than I have not yet read this series, so now maybe I will.

I think this is an over all successful wave.

It was not an obvious joke. Its status as a joke is debatable.

No take backs!

I know we can't please everybody, but I also know people here are quick to judge, and can be highly vocal about their displeasure. I try not to resent it, and give them a chance to admit they might, someday, see an assortment's value.

Hank's glasses will obviously be translucent, with a no-visor hairpiece and a glasses face. Levitating base and possible powered-up hair and face for Jean. Not sure of the final Iceman rendering, but the new ice part could be a must-have for many.

I'm not being condescending, just voicing an idea out loud. Sorry if it seemed that way.

At no time did I believe you were being condescending, I like you was just voicing an idea out loud in the form of an opinion. As I have stated many times, I completely understand why DST focuses on the most recognizable/most popular/main characters from Marvel Comics or any property for that matter. It's just that after 11 years of collecting what I consider to be the absolute best toy line there is(in fact I stopped collecting any other toy line years ago to focus only on minimates and other than a few figures here and there, all my collecting money goes to minimates), I would like a little more variety in character selection, which for the most part DST does a good job at. I am a completist(that's my own sickness that I have to deal with lol) and will buy everything that is put out whether I like/know the character or not, or if I already have 6 other 'mates that look exactly the same, but with a slightly different tampo. But for every ten Wolverines, it would be nice if someone like Toad or Pryo or comic Blob would be made; for every five Thors, maybe one of the Warriors Three or maybe one of the Wrecking Crew. I'm not asking for every single 'mate to be a new unmade character, just a little more variety in character selection in each wave.

All that said, this wave does look great and of course I'll be buying them. Love that they have tampo on the sides of the chest blocks.

Edited by Santos L Halper

Zach, I do like them, Bobby and Beast are amazing, but isn't the visual I'm used to know and that's why I won't buy anyone of this wave. I know I'm annoying as a collector and I just need Gambit and 90's Storm to close my X-Men (until now), that's the reason.

Again, they look great.