UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Minimates

youbastards

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my set from TRU.com today and I've got to agree with YB the spiderman minimates are all a mess. (Sorry, Zach)

Webs showing through the eyes, eyes off center, the shade of blue is wrong, the red is pink and there's different shades that don't match. The ASM2 spiderman doesn't look anything like the movie costume and definitely looks like the old Ultimate Spiderman minimate (which is not a good thing).

I understand the movie costume looks like the comic costume and DST was trying to do something different but they managed to create something that doesn't look like the source material or good on it's own.

The quality on the other three is fine with no issues, but I don't find Halo Goblin or Jamie Fox channeling Batman Forever appealing designs so those mates are destined for the parts bin.

However, Electro is good and the packaging is a great design, very eye catching.

Not seeing the mismatch in your photos, YB, or the webbing through the eyes, but sorry to hear all of this. Obviously, nobody wants there to be paint mismatches, or printing errors, or off colors, and I didn't notice any in my samples, but maybe I'm not looking that closely. I was going to do a real photo shoot this weekend, maybe they'll be more apparent then. The design of them all I can't really say anything about, I don't think any of them were a surprise to anybody.

But thank you, Fwoosheyman, for your blunt and honest review. It's like the Fwoosh is right here in this thread! The Fwoosh away from Fwoosh, if you will! smile.png (Only half joking. They can get pretty vicious over there.)

Edited by DSTZach

I'm only half as brutal as thefwoosh, I actually like most Marvel Select figures. biggrin.png

Yea I don't post there, I just lurk and watch Zach get beat up about every Marvel Select figure.

I really like the ASM2 Spidey costume and was looking forward to get a minimate as nice as the Select figure, so that is why I'm so disappointed with what we got.

I like the simplicity of the new Spidey. To each his own, I guess. Glad these are out right around the movie release, at least. And am I mistaken, or is the Green Goblin reusing the ASM1 Peter Parker hair? That's funny.

Not seeing the mismatch in your photos, YB, or the webbing through the eyes, but sorry to hear all of this. Obviously, nobody wants there to be paint mismatches, or printing errors, or off colors, and I didn't notice any in my samples, but maybe I'm not looking that closely. I was going to do a real photo shoot this weekend, maybe they'll be more apparent then. The design of them all I can't really say anything about, I don't think any of them were a surprise to anybody.

Zach, I'm sure that for every one person that notices the problems, there will be 30 or 40 people that don't.

Here are some pix in direct natural light.

Notice the red on the head/hands/feet is brighter than the red of the chest and arms. The head/hands/feet are molded in red plastic, while the other parts are painted.

20140510_140213.jpg

Here's a better picture of the webline details in the white eyes.

20140510_140139.jpg

20140510_140139-2.jpg

Edited by youbastards

biggrin.png

I love how Spidey's leaning in on that last shot like, "SEEEE?! I think I've got pink eye or something!"

With the exception of the webbing showing through the whites of the eyes, I think the figure looks better in sunlight. The grey webbing certainly stands out more.

I know registering the tampos is generally problematic but in terms of art, knocking the webbing out from behind the eyes would have avoided this issue. You'd have to align those tampos juuuust right.

What really peeves me is that this isn't a new problem .......& just look at those unpainted shoulder-balls pinch.gif

I know registering the tampos is generally problematic but in terms of art, knocking the webbing out from behind the eyes would have avoided this issue. You'd have to align those tampos juuuust right.

I swear to God that I was going to post the exact same thing but stopped short .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yeah, I don't think they are bad figures, just that they don't stand out from the literal crowd of other Spider-Man Minimates.

Despite the webbing, I think the chosen shade of red used is also a bit off, it has a bit too much of a rose/terra cotta shade to it and should be more of a deep red.

I don't have the style guide in front of me but the color's dictated by Marvel. And getting colored plastic to match paint seems to be a challenge. Most of the time it's not very noticeable (to me, anyway) but other times it's pretty jarring. I'll reserve judgment 'til I see them in person but, yeah, I'm not entirely sure what's going on with those Spidey head tampos. I thought all the colors were printed at the same time like a heat-sealed decal but obviously not.

Maybe if Spidey had a small, D-shaped hole in the top of his head, manufacturing could use that with a D-shaped pin to help align the colors and keep the cylindrical noggin from rolling around. Just a thought.

Each color is a separate tampo strike, starting with the bottom one and going to the top. For light colors that go on top of dark colors, we generally print them twice, although sometimes it takes three strikes. Not sure how many white strikes this represents, but it maybe could have used another.

But knocking out the webbing behind the eyes means you have to print the eyes exactly in the right spot -- off-center eyes bug people already, but imagine if they were off-center with a giant gap where there was no webbing. There's a little margin of error with the black frames, but not much.

Edited by DSTZach

I don't have the style guide in front of me but the color's dictated by Marvel. And getting colored plastic to match paint seems to be a challenge. Most of the time it's not very noticeable (to me, anyway) but other times it's pretty jarring. I'll reserve judgment 'til I see them in person but, yeah, I'm not entirely sure what's going on with those Spidey head tampos. I thought all the colors were printed at the same time like a heat-sealed decal but obviously not.

Maybe if Spidey had a small, D-shaped hole in the top of his head, manufacturing could use that with a D-shaped pin to help align the colors and keep the cylindrical noggin from rolling around. Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure that the hole in the head is critical when 'printing' Minimate heads.....you'll note that the hole actually is hexagonal , when the hole is not there then things get difficult ............it seems. The colours are printed in a specific order .....if that order isn't correct then you are in the sh*t.

What gets me is the fact that this keeps happening.

The whole set hit Brooklyn tru.

The figures look better in person. Electro is way to dark for my liking. But whatever still happy I got these.

Waiting for grinning goblin tho don't like the tru face one.

Zach, the back package is really dark and look like those knock off china town packaging. I was confused when I saw them. The front package looks awesome tho!

post-6488-0-79804500-1399828352_thumb.jp

post-6488-0-15961800-1399828369_thumb.jp

You guys are scaring me with all the talk of un-aligned Spidey eyes and webbing showing through the whites of the eyes. DONT SCARE ME LYKE DAT! Should be weary though? I feel like I should buy them in person now to look at em before hand.