UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Minimates

youbastards

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea whether the footage is new or not, or if there will even be a flashback in the final movie. I honestly am not even sure which scene it is.

The Flashback Minimate looks to have less muscle detail, to better show off the lines of the suit, but it is otherwise identical.

There's going to be more than one Spider-Man in the series, we might not all need more than one but DST is making these for casual buyers as well. I still wish we were getting a normal Harry Osborn but the average parent in the store isn't buying him for her son.

I'm thinking it's the movie studios not revealing designs and it resulting in lackluster movie waves. No Rhino for this wave, just Aleksei which is a bit of a disappointment. It would have been pretty easy for DST to do a transforming Rhino if they had the reference. Also we didn't get Silver Samurai, or final battle Killian from IM3, and final battle villains from other movies.

Another interesting note, the only reason we know the old ASM suit is in this movie is because Zach told us. It's not in any promotional material, hasn't been mentioned or seen and as Zack said, might not even make the final cut of the movie. As far as "casual buyers" go, saying there's more Spider-Man figures to appeal to them isn't exactly true. It just means they must have had such little reference or such an early draft of a script, this is all they could do. Find me one casual buyer or fan who would rather have an old Spidey suit that might not even make the movie, than the new villain in a really flashy armor suit.

Obviously it's not DSTs fault but it seems like we're getting less variety with every movie wave, and recently Thor just completely losing a wave wasn't good. New Captain America looks great though! Hopefully they can work things out with the studios and get some better references.

I agree that the studios could be more forthcoming when it comes to the product that's being sold for their films, but frankly they don't seem to do anything different for Hasbro either. As much as we might lament the missing characters, we still get a great deal more character-wise than we typically see in either the 6-inch or 4-inch scale, and in some cases the ONLY product we see for some films is from DST, such as X-Men Days of Future Past. I'm not saying your points aren't logical, I'm just pointing out that this is probably as good as it's going to get.

It would have been pretty easy for DST to do a transforming Rhino if they had the reference.

Would it? If the rumours we've heard and the trailer footage is anything to go by, Alexi/Rhino is only in the film for about 4 minutes, and his 'costume' looks like it might be more of a vehicle - which would push it into territory that DST/AA doesn't have license for. don't get me wrong - i always want all of the characters and i want them in their hero/villain costumes, but Rhino might not just be a case of getting source material too late. He actually looks like he might not have been covered by the license even if Sony had provided reference 3 years in advance.

This is, of course, rampant speculation. But i feel like if DST were *able* to give us ASM2 Mech-Rhino, they would have. It would be a cool toyetic figure that would have sales potential all over it.

Edited by Nessex

I doubt we would have made Rhino regardless. I have not seen the suit in full, but it seems impossible.

And I don't know that this movie flashing back to the first movie, given the number of incredibly importatnt things that happened in the first movie, is a huge shock or revelation, or worth putting out a press release about. Nor do I think a new movie wants to show a bunch of stuff from an old movie in the trailers.

Flashback Spider-Man is in the third and final set at Toys R Us. We want Spider-Man at Toys R Us, and there are only so many variations we can make. Sorry people are unhappy with the choice. There are other civilian characters, but I'm pretty psyched we were able to get Max Dillon in this set, and two civilians at TRU would have been tough. Can't wait to show him to you.

I doubt we would have made Rhino regardless. I have not seen the suit in full, but it seems impossible.

Impossible for a 2-pack, yeah. It looks about the size of a load lifter from Aliens. Maybe bigger. It would have to be under scaled or be part of a higher price point. (I'm thinking vehicle.)

Unless it's a surfboard or a skateboard or a goblin glider or a rocket pack.

I still have to wonder if DST could sneak it in as an Irom Monger-type 'mate.

But yeah, uphill battle and probably not worth it. Looking forward to seeing the inevitable customs, though.

Maybe we will see Mecha Rhino in a sequel wave. After all, we have two more ASM movies, a Sinester Six movie, and Venom. I have faith M-R will appear again.

Since Webb won't be directing the third sequel, there's a good chance we'll see a streamlined version of a Rhino suit in that film or one of the spinoffs. You don't cast a guy like Giamatti for four minutes of screen time. You just know there's more coming.

And I don't know that this movie flashing back to the first movie, given the number of incredibly importatnt things that happened in the first movie,

Which would be? Not asking for details on ASM2, I just didn't see anything in ASM1 I would deem as "incredibly important."

The flashbacks are probably involving the parents. There seems to be more focus on that in this movie since it was inexplicably dropped half way through the first movie, never to be mentioned again. Opposite of what the trailer would have you believe.

Unless it's a surfboard or a skateboard or a goblin glider or a rocket pack.

I don't think you need a license to operate those, which means they are not vehicles. That Rhino suit is a Class 3 at least.

And I don't know that this movie flashing back to the first movie, given the number of incredibly importatnt things that happened in the first movie,

Which would be? Not asking for details on ASM2, I just didn't see anything in ASM1 I would deem as "incredibly important."
He got bit by a radioactive spider and developed spider-powers?

Oh, and someone shot his uncle.

That's off the top of my head.

Oh, and Peter's girlfriend's dad died after Peter promised him he'd break up with her, which he didn't, thereby forming a large source of angst for Peter in the second movie, at least according to the Peter & Gwen featurette they released, as well as many of the advance plot summaries, plus all the footage that's been released where Peter sees Dennis Leary's ghost. THAT event Peter was actually wearing his costume for, so it's probably a good candidate for a flashback appearance of the suit. Assuming there is a real, actual flashback, and not just references to past events. I honestly don't remember.

The flashbacks are probably involving the parents. There seems to be more focus on that in this movie since it was inexplicably dropped half way through the first movie, never to be mentioned again. Opposite of what the trailer would have you believe.

They mentioned it pretty heavily in the post-credits scene of ASM1. It sets up ASM2 pretty well.

Even non-fans know Spider-Man was bit by a spider, Batman lost his parents, Superman is from another planet. I don't consider anything that happened in ASM incredibly important in that aspect. Nothing happened that we didn't know was already going to happen, I'm not saying it wasn't done well, just that it was an origins story.

My biggest gripe is Peter completely ignoring Uncle Ben's killer and just never mentioning it again, never going after the guy, that was horrible. Especially since it was handled so well in the Raimi movies.

And as far as the post-credits scene of ASM goes, Marc Webb said he cut about 20 minutes concerning the parents. So the 20 second post credit scene was a little underwhelming for me. Actually, it's probably a good thing because in the cut footage they hint that Peter was intentionally bit so they could give him the powers which would be incredibly lame and completely undermine the purpose of why he's a crime fighter.

I guess super hero movies are evolving into CYOA for writers and studios. Also it's a quick cash grab and not much thought is being put into them.

To be fair, the whole flashback discussion spun out of "why have they not told us there would be flashbacks?" to which I said flashbacks seemed like a natural, unremarkable thing, given the circumstances. I didn't realize TM2 was being snarky, but I guess I answered snarky, so sorry, TM2. No offense intended. But it remains that in the context of a film series, referencing earlier, character-defining moments is perfectly normal.

I think the murder was handled well in ASM - he actually pursued that guy for a while, looking for a criminal matching his description. He must have hunted him for a good long while, enough time to establish a pattern that others spotted. Plus, it had the same overall effect on Peter, sending him on a crusade against crime, BUT without giving him resolution to his personal tragedy (a nice added dimension), AND without duplicating the exact events of the comic and original movie. I do think the scene was handled well in SM1, and mostly comic accurate, but I was disappointed with SM3, which more or less undid everything the first movie did.

It sounds like the scenes that were cut from ASM1 were cut for good reasons, so I'd say people are putting a LOT of thought into the movie. I'm glad the parents were not a BIG part of ASM1, since they were a rarely mentioned and largely ignored part the mythos, but it's nice they established the mystery early, since it provides a different angle from the original trilogy. Looking forward to Part 2.