UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Trexi from Play Imaginative

MisterPL

I knew Play Imaginative from the die-cast metal action figures they offered, ranging from Batman and Superman to Iron Man and (in 2014) Pacific Rim.

Little did I know they also offered minifigures called Trexi and – knife to the eye!they have DC characters.

At $13 each, these 2.5" figures seem ridiculously overpriced. Does anyone here collect these?

What I don't get is that these things have heads that are split into two hemispheres, with two faces printed front and back, allowing for four different expressions and DST's factory seems to struggle to do one. But to be fair, maybe that's why these are so frickin' expensive.

Either way, make mine Minimates.

Other than the long run of DCU Classics with Mattel, it's clear DC's marketing strategy is to go for breadth rather than depth. They seem only to be interested in getting out as many different variations/formats of their core four or five characters as possible. Minimates are a "done" format, so there's no reason to go back and revisit them.

And from a non "company who are also fans" perspective, I'm not sure I blame them. Treating the DC library for all intents and purposes as Superman, Batman, and maybe a couple others for mass market licensing is a low-maintenance no-brainer. When companies like Mattel get all passionate about making Z-list characters like Granny Goodness and Ambush Bug "for the fans," 90% of the feedback they seem to get is nerd rage about wasted slots, line mismanagement, and secret conspiracies to really just shit on the fans (not to mention a ton of peg warmers...). DC Minimates were fast approaching that point*, where they were past the "oh thank god we're getting these, they're amazing, we love you" and approaching "you flipping morons, why did you pick that character instead of this one, we hate you."

*I think Marvel Minimates have reached and lapped that point three or four times now. DST are some thick-skinned, punishment-loving SOBs. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Lobsterman

Other than the long run of DCU Classics with Mattel, it's clear DC's marketing strategy is to go for breadth rather than depth. They seem only to be interested in getting out as many different variations/formats of their core four or five characters as possible. Minimates are a "done" format, so there's no reason to go back and revisit them.

And from a non "company who are also fans" perspective, I'm not sure I blame them. Treating the DC library for all intents and purposes as Superman, Batman, and maybe a couple others for mass market licensing is a low-maintenance no-brainer.

I was about to agree with you completely but then I read about the plan for a live-action Hourman TV series.

That might happen, it might not, but either way it demonstrates a willingness on someone's part at WB to look beyond the Super Friends when tapping into the DCU. Maybe that attitude will spread, especially with (hopefully) a huge chunk of DC Comics pros moving closer to their west coast counterparts over the next couple years.

Blind optimism aside, I agree that WB seems to be resting on the laurels of their most popular characters. But it's that complacency that's put them behind Marvel when it comes to feature films and now animated TV series. The change at top of WB seems to be signaling change for the entire organization. I'm still hopeful it'll trickle down to my favorite hobby. (Again.)