UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle of Atom Minimates

mcg031

Marvel needed some stern editorial guiding to prevent this situation before it started. Is there a long term member of the x-men that hasn't "died" I say age them up kill them off and keep the story moving. We are on to our 4th next generation of mutants now and they still want cyclops to be 35 the time between the start of new mutants and Generation X must have been retro fitted to about 6 month by now.

I don't see the age thing as a problem at all, you need to accept the sliding timescale of comics as a genre convention. I think the bigger problem is that they keep introducing new generations of mutants then after their books die off they fade into the background. Rinse and repeat.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prowler, your X-World idea might actually be the best way out of this mess!

It just seemed like the next big thing that will have "real life changing consequences" for all of the characters of the Marvel Universe. If there is a universe were nearly everybody is "better off" if the heroes correct the time-line then they will be doing what is right but maybe not what is best. The only problem is that the end of the story is set since if everything was for the best there would be no incentive to continue reading.

The only other way to fix this mess is for someone to get a hold of the Infinity Gauntlet and remake the whole 616 universe from the very foundation. Of course once you start the ball rolling on a Crisis it just keeps going where every decade or so there has to be a new crisis to fix all the errors. Not that it seems to matter considering the fact that every two to three years it seems all comics have to have a reset back to issue one since no one can count higher than 100 anymore.

I don't see the age thing as a problem at all, you need to accept the sliding timescale of comics as a genre convention. I think the bigger problem is that they keep introducing new generations of mutants then after their books die off they fade into the background. Rinse and repeat.

Agreed. PREACH, BROTHER! ACADEMY X MINIMATES FOR EVERYONE!

Edited by emperorshotz

Marvel needed some stern editorial guiding to prevent this situation before it started. Is there a long term member of the x-men that hasn't "died" I say age them up kill them off and keep the story moving. We are on to our 4th next generation of mutants now and they still want cyclops to be 35 the time between the start of new mutants and Generation X must have been retro fitted to about 6 month by now.

Or they create a bad story to get rid of those secondary characters. "No more mutants."

And then they create another bad story to undo the previous bad story.

Time travel is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be. When you have inept writers like Bendis try to reinvent the rules, that's where problems start.

Care to explain why the original Xmen can't return but when Raze (mystique/wolverine son) goes as cyclops there's no problem??

Because Raze isn't Cyclops. He just looked like him.

Count me in the Yay camp for BOTA and Marvel Now X-Men 'mates.

X faced Cyclops is a must, as are Now Magik, and Now Beast.

I'd also like to see a set of the O5 in their impending suits. Don't like the suits that much, but I love the O5

and will buy as many variations of them as DST choose to make.

Someone mentioned that Cyclops's team is essentially the Brotherhood, I disagree. Scott's just trying to apply Xavier's dream to their current reality.

He built Utopia. The Avengers destroyed it. Governments the world over are trying to clamp down on the new wave of Mutants and Cyke is trying to protect them.

The raison d'etre of the Brotherhood was always Mutant Dominion. Cyke just wants his race to live.

Yeah, I'm an unabashed Cyclops fan ;)

Time travel is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be. When you have inept writers like Bendis try to reinvent the rules, that's where problems start.

Care to explain why the original Xmen can't return but when Raze (mystique/wolverine son) goes as cyclops there's no problem??

Because Raze isn't Cyclops. He just looked like him.

Count me in the Yay camp for BOTA and Marvel Now X-Men 'mates.

X faced Cyclops is a must, as are Now Magik, and Now Beast.

I'd also like to see a set of the O5 in their impending suits. Don't like the suits that much, but I love the O5

and will buy as many variations of them as DST choose to make.

Someone mentioned that Cyclops's team is essentially the Brotherhood, I disagree. Scott's just trying to apply Xavier's dream to their current reality.

He built Utopia. The Avengers destroyed it. Governments the world over are trying to clamp down on the new wave of Mutants and Cyke is trying to protect them.

The raison d'etre of the Brotherhood was always Mutant Dominion. Cyke just wants his race to live.

Yeah, I'm an unabashed Cyclops fan wink.png

Agreed on all points.

Cheers guys. Wolvie's in a place right now where everything's black and white. Cyke sees the greys.

I loved the argument that Cyke and Wolverine have in BotA #2 where Cyclops says "'Professor Wolverine' Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?" and Wolverine agrees :D

Rad, I completely agree with your opinion but Cyclops still has to answer for Prof. X murder and to me he's not educating these newer mutants they are just inexperience that may be his next victims. But this team needs to be minimates!

I think murder is a wee harsh. Manslaughter at best. He didn't mean to kill Charles and he was under the influence of the Phoenix force. I agree about the teaching aspect though. They very rarely show it happening but it is one of those things you have to assume is happening behind the scenes. I wish there was a way to make the waves happen where one was classic and one was contemporary. Like for example, an 80's wave of Inferno and then a BOTA wave followed by another classic wave then Marvel Later (since it ain't now). WIsh the gang at DST could get more of a heads up because it would be awesome to have a set of mates during a storyline or right after similar to how DC managed to get the Blackest Night figures out.

I'd even go so far as to say that Cyclops' actions aren't just not any worse, but are not nearly as bad, especially as Jean's. She not only gets a free pass but has practically been exalted to sainthood after killing millions. Under the same influence, Scott killed one person while defending himself. Not even in the same ball park.

While I admire you gentlemen for your passion about the storyline, I don't believe for a second that Professor X is going to stay dead. He and Magneto have died more times than I can remember, I guess it was Xavier's turn this year.

I even remember a time when Xavier was possessed by the Phoenix force and Kitty nicknamed him 'Bald Phoenix!' :D

He'll be back, of course he will, this is comics where not even Bucky stays dead.

Cyke killing Xavier was a major shocker for me, but as others have pointed out he was acting under the influence of the Phoenix force and you know what they say about absolute power. What still hasn't really been addressed (as far as I know) is the Avengers taking any responsibility for what happened to Xavier. If the Avengers hadn't demanded that Cyclops hand over Hope (who in essence is Cyclops's grandaughter) and then attacked utopia. Then none of this would have come to pass.

If Iron-Man and the Space Avengers hadn't diluted the Phoenix Force into five constituent parts then none of this would have happened. I'm glad it did happen, cos I think it's lead to some good stories and a real re-invigoration for the X-books.

I think Wolverine is in a major state of denial right now. For all he lashes out at Scott at every opportunity there has to come a point where he asks himself 'If I'm right, then why is everybody joining his team?' Especially Kitty.

There's also Hank McCoy's hubris to deal with. He's guilty of contributing to the screwing up the 616 timeline right now, who's going to take him to task for that?

Many good reads to come, and many good minimates too (I hope).

Maybe because only crazy X-fans buy it?

I'm actually really curious just how popular up-to-the-minute X-men looks would be. I'm sure they wouldn't sell as well as revisiting classic looks, but are we talking a minor drop off or a large one? I'm sure hardcore X-men fans would be interested, but where would the overall interest be compared to something like the Fantastic Four wave?

I GUESS I can see the validity in Scotts points but I really feel ever since he took over hes sort of realized he's a nut job and hes just okay with it

I could be bias though because I LOVE WATXM, and I'm very upset at Kitty for leaving (especially since it made no freaking sense)

I'm not really in love with any of the new costume designs.

Cyclops isn't bad - but uncanny seems to have a fondness for showing off the skin. There's a lot of midriff exposed on Magik and the (formerly) Whiye Queen. Magneto (who's what - 50 now?) is going sleeveless everywhere? Not too sure about that one....

I don't mind Adjectiveless X-Men.... but then Rogue & Jubes are in garments that are pretty close to classic outfits for them. Rachel's isn't bad. Psylocke & Storms aren't terrible, but they aren't great either. Still - I'd be happy to see the whole line-up in Minimates.