UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle of Atom Minimates

mcg031

this entire discussion is about Battle of the Atom mates and to that affect, the modern X-men teams, I was simply saying that Kid Omega and some of the JGS students have more importance than Scotts new team of Uncanny X-men (if you can even call them that)

I wasnt saying we shouldnt get classic x-men characters or that we shouldnt get Sunfire or Banshee, just that they shouldnt be included in a Battle of the Atom set.

basically im saying, if we're gonna get newer characters or modern looks, thats fine, but there are some that i feel are more pertinent than others to modern stories, I'd argue that Kid Omega has been a huge part of modern X-men stories and due to that, we should see him before Cyclops's Marvel Now! costume.

Im also being slightly bias :P

Edited by undeadpool

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read it and LOVED it :D

it was what i expected, a crazy event thats sole purpose to force basically all the x-men to agree at the end "NO MORE FRAKKING TIME TRAVEL" and for the most part, it did its job.

i love seeing alternate timeline looks so those were super cool, and the blowback from this will be interesting

the only thing that seemed incredibly off to me was Kitty's choices in the end, they were just...uncharacteristic

i read it and LOVED it biggrin.png

it was what i expected, a crazy event thats sole purpose to force basically all the x-men to agree at the end "NO MORE FRAKKING TIME TRAVEL" and for the most part, it did its job.

i love seeing alternate timeline looks so those were super cool, and the blowback from this will be interesting

the only thing that seemed incredibly off to me was Kitty's choices in the end, they were just...uncharacteristic

I liked it enough to read it, but i don't think i'll ever touch it again.I just didn't feel it was worth the 10 part treatment. And yeah, Kitty's choices were odd. The one thing that bothers me is that we now have two cyclopses, beasts, etc running around.

Also, the whole thing with the past-men being here with the present-men means that:

Either the Earth we've been reading about is an alternate timeline.

Or ever since AOU there simply is no past or future, only the present. Which in turn means that you can go back, bring your old self from friday the 13th 2000 and yourself from thursday the 15th 1999 and so on. Really, the whole thing is a big, bloody mess to say the least. My interpretation is that everything is so screwed up with time and space that everything goes! God, if the Doctor was here to see this he would take his eyes out.

Edited by Kostisfire

I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it. The Future Brotherhood never revealing any of their motives bugged me the most.

It made the event just seem like Aaron wanted to write this cool mystery time travel romp, and failed cause he can't write the X-men to save his life, while Bendis wanted to get Kitty and his O5 in the same school, and Wood wanted to do cute stories about Bling and Shogo.

As for Kitty, it didn't seem uncharacteristic. She was put in charge of the team, yet every single person but Scott and maybe Rachel sided against her, and listened to this new weirdo "X-men", despite Kitty being pretty clear the entire time. So why be somewhere where she can't even be trusted to decently give her opinion. She's been an X-men just as long as Storm and Logan, yet she has no say?

At least with Scott, she knows what she is dealing with. Magneto, who saved her life, Emma, who isn't backstabbing, just snide and rude, but shows it, and Magik, her best friend.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it...

As for Kitty, it didn't seem uncharacteristic. She was put in charge of the team, yet every single person but Scott and maybe Rachel sided against her, and listened to this new weirdo "X-men", despite Kitty being pretty clear the entire time. So why be somewhere where she can't even be trusted to decently give her opinion. She's been an X-men just as long as Storm and Logan, yet she has no say?

At least with Scott, she knows what she is dealing with. Magneto, who saved her life, Emma, who isn't backstabbing, just snide and rude, but shows it, and Magik, her best friend.

Agreed. I feel like it started off so strongly and fell a little flat in the end. I'm interested to see the change in status quo for the X-Books. It's going to be interesting to see how Rachel deals with Kitty not being around and how Kitty and Illyana continue to repair their friendship. They've been on the outs since A) Illyana risked all their lives to get her soul back (in the now defunct third volume of New Mutants) and cool.png Illyana tricked Peter into Juggernaut-ing it up/Phoenix Five-ed it.

All this talk kind of just makes me want the NOW! X-Men even worse and definitely more than the BotA Future teams. But if this gets us both, I'm down...

...(Also, future Wiccan wub.png )

Edited by emperorshotz

I liked it enough to read it, but i don't think i'll ever touch it again.I just didn't feel it was worth the 10 part treatment. And yeah, Kitty's choices were odd. The one thing that bothers me is that we now have two cyclopses, beasts, etc running around.

Also, the whole thing with the past-men being here with the present-men means that:

Or ever since AOU there simply is no past or future, only the present. Which in turn means that you can go back, bring your old self from friday the 13th 2000 and yourself from thursday the 15th 1999 and so on. Really, the whole thing is a big, bloody mess to say the least. My interpretation is that everything is so screwed up with time and space that everything goes! God, if the Doctor was here to see this he would take his eyes out.

Another way of looking at it would be that the 616 past hasn't been altered and that is why the original five couldn't go back because they never left. Instead a new alternate time line was created the instant Beast went back and brought them forward in time.

Another way of looking at it would be that the 616 past hasn't been altered and that is why the original five couldn't go back because they never left. Instead a new alternate time line was created the instant Beast went back and brought them forward in time.

That's what i meant by "the Earth we've been reading about (the past year, the NOW! one) is an alternate timeline. It's a quite interesting theory but that means that this is Earth 616.2. It's confusing and frustrating to say the least. Marvel's timeline, especially the x-men's is far too messed up.

Edited by Kostisfire

first, i agree with the majority entirely. a fun but weak story that I ultimately don't care about. the story trades on unnecessary secrecy because without it, there IS no story. the presence of the brotherhood in our time bothers me, too. but where the story led kitty and the kids was the one redeeming quality.

As for the 616.2 theory, I'll go you one better... I've been saying for a while now that Marvel is due for a " Crisis" Anything from the original five time hopping to Peter's deal with the devil to Captain Marvel coming to the present day... hell, even the existence of the AoA characters in our timeline... it all technically implies we're no longer IN the 616. Every temporal divergence should, technically, have created another splinter from the original. Characters coming back from the future don't count, because that could be the natural course of our timeline. But when a character comes forward? Or an alternate reality character crosses over? Those aren't part of the natural flow. So I'm just waiting for the day someone says something to Captain Britain about being on earth 616 and he's all " What? this is earth 725" and the rest of the story is about t racking the divergences abd finding the 616

a 616.2???? no no no no no no NOOOOO!!!! please I can't handle that! that's why I don't read DC all this earth 2, infinite crisis crap is for the birds. Mutants been crossing over to mainstream 616 for a long time. So lets hope this isn't real BUT that's a good theory. Still want BoA Minimates !

Time travel is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be. When you have inept writers like Bendis try to reinvent the rules, that's where problems start.

True that. Dr. Who time travel is actually pretty straight forward. The Davies era was really simple. Then came Moffat with episodes like the one with the Pandorica. Seriously, that was one of the worst time-travel stories I have seen.

Edited by Kostisfire

Time travel is nowhere near as complicated as people make it out to be. When you have inept writers like Bendis try to reinvent the rules, that's where problems start.

Care to explain why the original Xmen can't return but when Raze (mystique/wolverine son) goes as cyclops there's no problem??

My theory?

The original X-Men are still in their original time in the 616 universe, while in whatever timeline this has now become, they are an integrated part of the present. Too much has happened to them, to much has changed them, for then to ever go back and be the X-Men history remembers. It's sloppy and bad, but I THINK it's what they're going for.

The more I think about all this stuff, the more irritating I find it. When was the last good X-Men storyline that didn't turn into a big event that was borderline unreadable? Was it the Archangel storyline from a few years ago? Every time I try to give Bendis a chance again he makes me want to reach through the page and punch him.

I think that this is the case. They didn't go into 616 but maybe 617.

Something that was close or almost the same until this moment happened. AOU definitely

did something to the time/space continuum, which is leading me to believe

Marvel is heading toward that big old DC Nu52 reset button. Also, I am a

believer in the Angela is Jean Grey theory.

Secondly, Kitty leaving was the only thing that redeemed this series for me.

Time and again Kitty has supported all

of those X-Men and never asked questions. She always takes their side. The one

time she asked them to take hers over a group of strangers they said nyet. I’d

be pissed too. At least with Scott’s X-Men you can argue she knows what she is

getting and may even be able to soften them. I still want them to fix this

Illyana mess but whatever.

Back to the Minimates. Sadly, this will be a box set it is a matter of when.

Personally, I would prefer celebrating the anniversary of Inferno or Fall of

the Mutants but bygones. If I had to I would want Xorn Jean, Shogo, Wolverine’s

kid, and Wiccan. Then it is half brotherhood/ half X-Men.

Maybe some sort of hybrid Inferno boxset would be nice

Goblyn Queen (with Nathan baby piece, like the one in TWD set)

Classic Darkchylde Magik (Or like the Slave Leia look in the promo pic)

(Since X-Factor Cyke can't really be improved, maybe Blue Suit/Yellow Buits Bryne Cyke?)

And I guess Demon Wolverine to anchor the set (Maybe with some cool demon parts to make him not a retread of Outback wave's Wolvie)

Maybe some sort of hybrid Inferno boxset would be nice

Goblyn Queen (with Nathan baby piece, like the one in TWD set)

Classic Darkchylde Magik (Or like the Slave Leia look in the promo pic)

(Since X-Factor Cyke can't really be improved, maybe Blue Suit/Yellow Buits Bryne Cyke?)

And I guess Demon Wolverine to anchor the set (Maybe with some cool demon parts to make him not a retread of Outback wave's Wolvie)

As much as I weirdly want a red X-Factor Jean Grey (I have a Jean Addicition) I think that you need a N'astirh or S'ym instead of Scott or Jean. This makes me sad because we would be required by Minimate law to have a Wolverine.

I get the feeling that having the original X-Men around is just begging for a convoluted unreadable event where someone, likely either Jean or Kitty, wakes up and discovers that everything has changed (again) only this time it will be "X-World" where Xavier had to build a new team composed of humans, super humans, and mutants to find his missing students. However, he doesn't get them back and as time progresses they create a better world. The problem being whatever is stopping the X-Men from returning to their own time is resolved but how will they go back knowing that they will be responsible for the destruction of the world they had been fighting to create?

Marvel needed some stern editorial guiding to prevent this situation before it started. Is there a long term member of the x-men that hasn't "died" I say age them up kill them off and keep the story moving. We are on to our 4th next generation of mutants now and they still want cyclops to be 35 the time between the start of new mutants and Generation X must have been retro fitted to about 6 month by now.