UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Minimates

MisterPL

Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon.

Not sure when we last asked, but given that we still have a 7-inch figure license, I believe we have asked and the answer is no. I believe it has been no since before the MAX statues. Semantics do not hide what it is. Our recent retro deal was tough to work out.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask again please but in the meantime consider me shut up on that point . {choose your own emoticon}

Next up : No love anymore for the Sentinel bulked-up chest ?

It's Kate Pryde not Kitty Pride ..........I'm not being pedantic about the name per se except that she should look much more like Aunt May than Shadowcat . Don't push back too hard on this one otherwise I'll kick off about the lack of paint & the fact that she is meant to be Puss {Kitty-pride of lions-shadowCAT} in Boots ......not orange shoes . {grinning nervously though not maliciously emoticon or similar } .

I didn't mention the sheepskin(?) coat ......I'm also fed up with that one now.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I've gone for the latter of course but I will strive to be more lucid with why I'm slightly disappointed with this particular set.

(blablabla rant, rant, rant wink.png )

My gripes however are manifold as my reader may have noticed. Shall I start again ? No not yet ,I'm just going to let those

people who are interested in the source material to digest my lazy-link above & tell me whether you are spotting what this old, moaning, 59 year old is spotting *.

*Forget the jacket .....there is one accessory that is glaringly missing ....it makes me cross.wink.png

This is the gist of the matter (or as we over here say: "So this, then, was the kernel of the brute!")

DoFp.JPG

_____

Edit: Bob Harris. Coming late to the party since 2008.

Edited by Bob Harris

I'd settle for a 7" line of fully articulated Maximates featuring Spidey, Wolverine, and Deadpool so long as it also included Galactus, Giant Man, and a Sentinel. Of course I'd only be in it for the latter three but from what I keep reading, the former three sell themselves, right?

I really don't get why we're discussing this, especially BHM, when this has been the way it is for 10 years. I'm not saying discussion is a bad thing, but it seems to me like one of the few certainties when it comes to Minimates. Take away 2" block figures, and what are Minimates? unsure.png

RE: Larger scale Minimates & the reasons why we especially don't have larger Marvel ones is just a red-herring I threw out there . I accept the reason why DST can't do bigger Minimates ........I don't accept why DST accept it . If there were toys out there that looked like Minimates & were just a bigger scale what on earth would be the problem ?

"Dear Marvel,we produce an articulated toy which is insert height of toy that is not currently being made inches tall ,can we please make a small range of larger Marvel characters ,characters like Giant Man,Galactus & Sentinel "

" Dear DST, sorry guys that's not in your current licence for 2" articulated figures "

" Dear Marvel that's correct .......so can we have another licence for this new line "

The reply will only go one of two ways .

All I want to hear is that the question has been asked....& declined ....& I'll shut up !

Please read first sentence .

Take away 2" block figures, and what are Minimates? unsure.png

I recall a similar discussion back when people were pissed that the Marvel license was forcing the beloved 3-inch Minimates down to an even smaller 2-inch size.

The name didn't change. They didn't become "Micromates" or "Miniermates." I don't see any reason why 7-inch bodies would need to be treated any differently.

For what it's worth, the last time I asked a TRU employee about the brand, she knew exactly what I was talking about but described it to a fellow co-worker as "those little robot-looking* figures." So Sentinels certainly fit the bill.

* Which I thought was a step up from "Lego knockoffs."

A few years ago, I paid a local graphics design team to take a 2" Minimate and scale it to 8 inches and provide me with 3D graphics files I could use to print the individual pieces on a 3D printer. My goal was to get a 3D print, and use that prototype to get funds from people here to help pay for injection molds, in return for product.

I got pretty far along in the process, even speaking with people from the University of Michigan to use their 3D scanning and printing services. To reduce molding costs, I eliminated the wrist and ankle articulation, and modified the elbow hinge so that one piece could be used as both a left or right arm. I even considered dropping the waist articulation by making the torso and crotch one piece.

This personal project, along with a price guide project I was working on with BHM, fell to the wayside in August/September 2012, when I almost negotiated selling my entire collection to Luke after my frustration with the Agent 88 situation. Obviously, that never happened, but I never went back to those projects. (sorry again, Rob)

I would love more than anything to see large Minimates come to fruition some day, and we've all seen the work Ivan and others have done over the years. I really think it could happen if Chuck detailed the design/molding/production costs of a limited run of blank white 8" Minimates, and gave Minimates fan a chance to contribute to the initial costs. Sure, the initial costs would be high, but once the tooling costs are paid for, the costs of future production runs really just need to be covered by pre-orders.

Kickstarter would be ideal for this situation, and I can't help but think we might have had a chance someday if it weren't for Agent 88.

At C2E2, I asked Chuck about blank Minimate banks that we could use for customs. He said he is definitely aware of the interest, but that *if* DST were to create a Minimate bank, it would most likely have be of a specific licensed character, that is iconic with just using the basic Minimate design (Spider-Man, for example), but once the tooling was done, they could repurpose that tool for anything they wanted. Just to clarify, Chuck was speaking hypothetically as DST doesn't currently have the Marvel bank license.

It's certainly a cool idea. I would think the bank is more likely to happen than a fully articulated 7" figure, since tooling an articulated 7" figure costs a pretty penny, from what I understand. (Roto obviously being cheaper.) But you need a license that would call for a simple humanoid, five times the height of a Minimate, to complement a MM line. Or a license that fits the MM brand so well that we can simply make a Minimate version of a simple humanoid character as a bank. Seems like a very specific order.

Mnemosis, I think Chuck has repeatedly rejected the idea of making a Select Sentinel, since given our size/price limitations, it would not be in scale to Selects, ignoring those very early Sentinels that were the same size as people. Honestly, if you're moving away from the Minimates body, you might as well take a look at the Hasbro or Toy Biz Legends Sentinel, or even the old-school '90s Sentinel playset, which is pretty boxy, if less articulated.

Mnemosis, I think Chuck has repeatedly rejected the idea of making a Select Sentinel, since given our size/price limitations, it would not be in scale to Selects, ignoring those very early Sentinels that were the same size as people. Honestly, if you're moving away from the Minimates body, you might as well take a look at the Hasbro or Toy Biz Legends Sentinel, or even the old-school '90s Sentinel playset, which is pretty boxy, if less articulated.

I have and use the legends Sentinel for this exact purpose. I'd still go for a 7-8 inch option. And I'd still encourage future two inch versions! The more Sentinels the better!

I've come to terms now with Wolverine's jacket. It's not accurate, but close enough.

However... I've just taken a closer look at this Minimate.

In the comic, Wolverine's gloves are tan and on the Minimate... light brown!

WTF...!? You make me sick Zach.

I'm going to flush all my Minimates down the toilet... I'm OUT.

angry-y-u-no.jpg

I've come to terms now with Wolverine's jacket. It's not accurate, but close enough.

However... I've just taken a closer look at this Minimate.

In the comic, Wolverine's gloves are tan and on the Minimate... light brown!

WTF...!? You make me sick Zach.

I'm going to flush all my Minimates down the toilet... I'm OUT.

biggrin.png LOL

I does seem like there's been a bit of overreaction and misplaced rage going around lately.

Edited by Zombie Shakespeare

At C2E2, I asked Chuck about blank Minimate banks that we could use for customs. He said he is definitely aware of the interest, but that *if* DST were to create a Minimate bank, it would most likely have be of a specific licensed character, that is iconic with just using the basic Minimate design (Spider-Man, for example), but once the tooling was done, they could repurpose that tool for anything they wanted. Just to clarify, Chuck was speaking hypothetically as DST doesn't currently have the Marvel bank license.

Hence the need for a Luke's Toy Roy Store ;) exclusive blank Minimate bank. Maybe a reputable fellow like Luke could do a Kickstarter campaign to fund the orders after inquiring about the tooling cost from DST?

And, I believe, from the discussion at C2E2, it is more likely Chuck, who does not want to stray from the 2-inch buck. I think licensing is just a convenient excuse that can be used in place of personal preference. If Chuck had his way, I think all mates would still look like those we got in waves 1-3.

I honestly don't understand all the complaints about the jacket. Four years ago no one would have bitched about it like this. Look back at all the old female minimates who used the exact same hairpiece. Everyone from Rogue to Silver Sable to Black Cat (plus numerous others) all used the same hair piece. Some people made comments about the reuse of that hairpiece over and over but there was no where near the level of bitching that there is now, especially over something as trivial as Wolverines jacket being a tad long.

This set is a definite buy for me. It looks great and I'm glad we have the chance to add it to our collections. I can't wait to see what we get next.