UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Minimates

MisterPL

I don't want to see X-Men crossover with any other franchises. I enjoy them better on their own. It never made any sense to me that humans would hate and fear mutants, but be fine with altered humans like Cap, Spidey, and FF. Like, why wouldn't Cyclops be like, "What? Mutant? No! It was a freak, optometrist accident. It's cool, I'm not a mutant. No need to hate me."

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

One man's "underwhelming" is another man's "Best selling Minimates box set ever made." FWIW.

...Talking about Deadpool, but I expect DOFP to do very well, also.

I honestly do not know why people are underwhelmed. I hear a lot of "re-used parts," and "no new characters," but the latter was established months ago, and the former is hardly an argument against a figure's quality, given last year's "Best Minimate" winner.

I actually like those two much better. The parts reuse is appropriate and the minimates are a pretty fair representation of the characters/looks they're supposed to represent.

I honestly do not know why people are underwhelmed. I hear a lot of "re-used parts," and "no new characters," but the latter was established months ago, and the former is hardly an argument against a figure's quality, given last year's "Best Minimate" winner.

I'm not against part reuse per se, but I think much of the reuse in this set looks pretty blatant or inaccurate, Wolverine's coat being the most obvious example. I'm fine with the characters (though I'm not crazy about having a unique army builder in a boxset), this is one of the few times when I'm really disappointed in the designs.

Edited by stack32

X-Men_Days_Of_Future_Past_SDCC_Exclusive

Nice everything!!

See, although the images are great and I will buy the set, it is hard not to feel disappointed that "my" favorites aren't being considered or used for this set (Inferno, Inhumans, Traditional GOTG). Also, it took me a second to look at Kitty and realize that was the cover image costume since I usually associate her with her Sprite outfit or the Green M jumpsuit in this story.

I honestly do not know why people are underwhelmed. I hear a lot of "re-used parts," and "no new characters," but the latter was established months ago,

Perhaps they were underwhelmed months ago as well. Debuting pictures of no new characters surely wouldn't change that.

Nice everything!!

See, although the images are great and I will buy the set, it is hard not to feel disappointed that "my" favorites aren't being considered or used for this set (Inferno, Inhumans, Traditional GOTG). Also, it took me a second to look at Kitty and realize that was the cover image costume since I usually associate her with her Sprite outfit or the Green M jumpsuit in this story.

I hope you get your sets some day. Traditional GOTG are currently off-limits, Inferno is getting more obscure by the day, and the Inhumans are a tough sell as a box set. But Ask DST!

This Kitty changes into her green outfit, if that helps. But that jacket is pretty distinctive on the cover.

I honestly do not know why people are underwhelmed. I hear a lot of "re-used parts," and "no new characters," but the latter was established months ago,

Perhaps they were underwhelmed months ago as well. Debuting pictures of no new characters surely wouldn't change that.

I honestly thought I was underselling it, but a handful of people seem more underwhelmed than they were before. VIOLENTLY underwhelmed, I would say. I think it's a good looking set, and comes at a great time. But a quarter inch of extra coat is apparently a dealbreaker for some people. I guess I just don't get it.

Well, the coat is the most distinctive part of the whole look and a quarter inch is a gigantic difference on a minimate. I wouldn't know that's the costume it was supposed to be without the title and the white in Wolverine's hair. I guess considering how well-known the cover is I expected a closer match when DST decided to update that look. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's a detail that will stand out even to buyers who aren't hardcore collectors.

Overall I do like the set as detailed in the SDCC thread. I'm not devastatingly disappointed and the character selection is about what I expected. I hate negativity and am as positive as they come.. but the jacket DOES bother me! The most iconic thing about the Wolvie DOFP look is the jacket. We're just being honest here and giving feedback, no?

I think a larger issue is us hardcore minimate collectors being deprived of new comic-based characters for awhile now. We knew this was coming because of all the movies this year so when we see a comic-based set we are hoping for the best in that regard. It's okay though, release another wave like 54 and all will be forgiven!

I think this is a great set! I'm very much looking forward to it, but the jacket is a bother. It's a big part of the look, so I would prefer to see it done right. And while 1/4 of an inch might be small with no context, on a minimate, that length stands out. That makes now two less than perfect DoFP Wolverines. The disappointment in that is pretty apparent to me. But, aside from the jacket, Wolverine and everyone else looks great.

As a hardcore minimate collector, I like this set. I like the story, and I think DST has (aside from outerwear) gotten very good at doing specific looks. This set will look neat next to the awesome Spidey/Goblin set. And to be fair, we got Winter Soldier (evil), Winter Soldier (not evil), Falcon, Baron Strucker, Viper, and Supreme Hydra recently. We've also gotten some good updates like Absorbing Man. Whether you think this is a worthy update, the last Mystique was nine years ago, so this one should be pretty welcome to many.

Zach, you mentioned in the SDCC thread that this is one of the most famous comic book covers in the world. I think we all agree on that. So, I don't think you should make light that the jacket looks nothing like the one on the cover. If you're going to give us a cover accurate Kitty, you should be giving us a cover accurate Logan as well. That being said, I love the rest of the set, but that jacket is a huge blunder. I'm not kidding at all when I suggest you make a more accurate jacket and issue it in some other set down the line like you guys did to fix the Phoenix Cyclops issue. In my opinion, this figure is just as deserving, if not more so, of such a fix.

Edited by Tetton517

Over in the SDCC thread, I talk about tooling budgets, and that the timing of this set made this the way we had to do it, and doing either of those figures at another time when more tooling was possible was far, far less likely. Sure, I would have liked new parts for those, but that's how timing worked out.

Mystique's skulls would, I imagine, be tough to get right even if they were sculpted, but yes, it's unfortunate that we weren't able to take a shot at it for this set. I think the rest of her looks amazing. I also like how Wolverine's coat looks -- it's just long enough to look more dramatic -- and saying it looks "nothing like" the coat on the cover is being unfair to other coats that look nothing like that coat. smile.png I doubt a new coat would be made just for this set, but maybe one can come with a future Logan figure. Ask DST!

Sorry you guys are disappointed.

I'm just happy to get stuff. Some companies I have been noticing are putting a stop to con exclusives. This years batch is not the greatest but not the worst either. I just wish we had more to buy then only these sets. The ton of stuff that was offered last got me spoiled I think?

Other than Logan's jacket, I really dig the set. I think the face tampos are what really sell the set for me. Kitty has a unique face. Mystique is NOT wearing a smile, & Logan looks like Logan. I may purchase 2 sets just for the Sentinels alone & slap the extra Mystique head on the old Mystique.

Nice everything!!

I hope you get your sets some day. Traditional GOTG are currently off-limits, Inferno is getting more obscure by the day, and the Inhumans are a tough sell as a box set. But Ask DST!

This Kitty changes into her green outfit, if that helps. But that jacket is pretty distinctive on the cover.

Hey Zach thanks for the response. First off I think the set looks great, I just meant that for *me* I view SDCC as the time where more niche sets could be pumped out and this set seems like a LCS/TRU set. Anyway it does help that Kitty/Kate changes and yes, she is on the cover of the story but I haven't read the story in years.

Interseting that the Original GOTG are off-limits. I will defend Inferno unti I am blue in the face and don't get me started on a Crystal minimate. It may get to the point that I will have to start petitions for petitions ;).