UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Minimates

MisterPL

Clayton Crain X-Force variant cover rules apply; all Minimates will now instead come with rainbows and puppies

If scale & size aren't an issue why the merry fuck bother with the torso-extensions & oversized- boots ?

No one is saying scale and size AREN'T an issue. DST does everything they can to honor scale within the confines of a 2" buck. Extra pieces for bigger figures, shortened and and legs for smaller figs, static mini minis for the smallest figures. But bigger bucks? Ain't happening.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new Mystique and the Sentinel are really the big things that I'd like out of this set. Of course, getting a new Mystique in this themed set seems a bit odd...

I think she'd have gone better with a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants set consisting of any of the following...Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, Mastermind, or Toad.

My guess is that at some point the factory probably asked DST what they wanted to do with the 3" tools, and instead of paying to have them shipped back to the US from China, someone at DST chose to just have them "disposed" of...

...but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if they are sitting in Digger's attic.

Edited by youbastards

I remember way back after Star Wars figures returned in the 90s, the Q&A team would get asked about putting out an Imperial Shuttle. And they said it wasn't possible because The Tooling.
Then years later lo and behold there was an Imperial Shuttle on retail shelves. I'm not saying Chuck lied, I'm just saying tooling issues have the ability to resolve themselves when someone decides they need to.

Edited by elmeaux

Our first Baron Strucker had two inaccurate looks in one pack and no even batted an eye. Our umpteen millionth Wolverine however...

Character fatigue?

Strucker wasn't specifically based on an iconic cover with Strucker on it though, and both looks were reasonable approximations of costumes he's sported in the comics. But, yeah, you're probably right that we're more forgiving on a minor character like Strucker than a very specific version of Wolverine.

Honestly, I'm surprised that character fatigue would make people more critical of a Wolverine instead of less critical. People clearly want this Wolverine re-issue, but they wanted it to be 100% accurate and we didn't deliver.

The gun wasn't a major part of the story, which is probably why they told us no, and I guess a closed holster wasn't available. Not all tooling is available at all times.

Edited by DSTZach

And BHM, I don't think the scale haters comment was meant to be as critical as you took it. The hypocrisy comment stings a little, though. I don't know where the tooling is, or what Chuck's comment was specifically referring to, but I'm pretty sure Marvel Minimates are 2" due to licensing issues. We have a little leeway, but not that much. MAYBE other licenses would have MORE leeway, but then you have to consider the additional tooling costs that come from non-standardization, and the noticeable divergence from the flagship Marvel line.

I think the situation with Phoenix Cyclops was the combination of a major factory error and the perfect opportunity to put a replacement part in a later pack; and it didn't require any new tooling. I'd be really surprised if DST did that again.

Edited by stack32

BMH, I'm curious: If scale if such an issue for the Sentinel, why would even a 3" body be acceptable? The only body size we've ever gotten to true scale has been the Max statue; DST have said that for licensing and other reasons, they're never getting into bodies that size. So it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? If we can't get a Sentinel that's ten times the height of a normal Minimate body, isn't the difference between a 3" and a bulked-up, waist-extendered 2" splitting hairs?

Edited by Lobsterman

BMH, I'm curious: If scale if such an issue for the Sentinel, why would even a 3" body be acceptable? The only body size we've ever gotten to true scale has been the Max statue; DST have said that for licensing and other reasons, they're never getting into bodies that size. So it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? If we can't get a Sentinel that's ten times the height of a normal Minimate body, isn't the difference between a 3" and a bulked-up, waist-extendered 2" splitting hairs?

Scale is not that big an 'issue' it's more a case of "while we're at it" & the 3" body would not be completely acceptable but it would just be more acceptable.

My point is that I'm perfectly OK with the ethos of 2" Minimates if it were stuck to. Is it coincidence that the first pic we saw shows the Sentinel at the back of the shot towering over the other three ? If the 3" doesn't exist anymore .....hoorah.....make some 4" or 5" !!

"They're never getting into bodies that size" ? Does that 'A' on your head stand for France ? I'm not worried about this set .....& that's my beef I'm just not worried about it .

I'm going to throw this out there... for a convention exclusive box set, this gives us a remake of a mystique that many of us don't have and that a lot of us think is an improvement, and it gives us not one, but two Senator Kelly heads, one in mid transformation back to mystique. to me, everything else is irrelevant. That sells the set

BHM, I guess I'm not sure what the purpose or even direction of your sting is. Is it to get DST to make bigger Marvel Minimates (which legally can't happen) or to get people to stop asking us for bigger Marvel Minimates (also not happening)? Honestly curious, sometimes it's hard to tell what you're giving evidence and/or arguments for.