UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Capullo X-force Boxset

elmeaux

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'll be that guy.

I do not understand the reasoning for this set at all. We already have a great mostly completed 90's X-Force team, so this opens up a whole new can of worms that most likely won't get finished. It's not current events, and has no tentpole characters or media tie-ins. And I don't think I've ever seen fan clamoring for Capullo-era X-Force stuff at least on this board.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I'm just wondering what the rationale for such an oddball lineup is, especially when there seems to be so many opportunities for other x-related box sets – the rest of the Uncanny Avengers; any number of current costume X-Men lineups; current X-Force (either one of the two teams); even 90's X-Factor if you're going for nostalgia.

Hmm...

Loved that era of X-Force (for a short amount of time). It seems really cliche and trite now, but 17 year old me was blown away by the closed fist/open hand discussion from issue #19. Whooooa man, that was deep.

Lost interest within the next year, never quite lived up to the idea from that issue.

(Yeah, I'd rather have X-Factor, but this is fun!)

Edited by JeffBohn

I do not understand the reasoning for this set at all. We already have a great mostly completed 90's X-Force team, so this opens up a whole new can of worms that most likely won't get finished. It's not current events, and has no tentpole characters or media tie-ins. And I don't think I've ever seen fan clamoring for Capullo-era X-Force stuff at least on this board.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I'm just wondering what the rationale for such an oddball lineup is, especially when there seems to be so many opportunities for other x-related box sets – the rest of the Uncanny Avengers; any number of current costume X-Men lineups; current X-Force (either one of the two teams); even 90's X-Factor if you're going for nostalgia.

Hmm...

While I'm not gonna knock this boxset (I would like a new Domino), I agree.

It seems odd that while we have 3 major X-men teams that have new fancy costumes and are going through 2 major events soon (BotA, and the Trial of Jean Grey) along with the flagship Mutant Avengers relations team, I was hoping at least one of those boxsets would be filled out before we went back to the 90's

or even Cable's new X-Force (Cable, Dr. Nemesis, Forge, and Domino, with Boom Boom and Colossus as a sub pack.)

Edited by Zexion_Armando

My issue is that our 90's X-Force isn't complete.

We're missing Sunspot & Siryn (and Warpath, too, really).

We could've gotten them instead of any of the four that we are getting.

Cable, Sunspot, Siryn, and Warpath (with Thunderbird head) Boxed Set.

Shatterstar & Cannonball 2-pack (to mimic their previous release together) for Toys'R'Us.

Capullo Domino & Kyle/Yost X-Force Vanisher 2-pack for Toys'R'Us.

And, yeah, let's have 90's X-Factor before we start doing other 90's X-Force costumes for characters we already have.

Havok & Polaris 2-pack.

Strong Guy & Quicksilver 2-pack.

90's Wolfsbane & Multiple Man 2-pack.

K/Y X-Force Wolfsbane & Multiple Man 2-pack.

Forge & Val Cooper 2-pack for Toys'R'Us.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, I'm just wondering what the rationale for such an oddball lineup is, especially when there seems to be so many opportunities for other x-related box sets the rest of the Uncanny Avengers; any number of current costume X-Men lineups; current X-Force (either one of the two teams); even 90's X-Factor if you're going for nostalgia.

Hmm...

All the reasons you listed are why I love this set.

My issue is that our 90's X-Force isn't

This is pretty much how I feel. Not just about 90's X-Force, but about all of the unfinished teams. While the Capullo set is ok there are so many other teams that DST has started and got us to buy into but are still unfinished. And with the recent move to a heavy release schedule of movie products and whatever the new flavor of minute is, it seems that DST has gone Hasbro's route of cutting way down on the classic looks that a lot of people want. And with that being the case, when we do get a few precious slots allocated to the classic looks, it would be nice to see something that was started to be finished instead of starting something new and adding to the growing list of teams that have been left unfinished.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rictor and Boom Boom we got are part of the line up this box set represents, not the Liefeld versions we already have, right? So the Capullo version of the team will actually be more complete than the Liefeld version after this set.

It seems odd that while we have 3 major X-men teams that have new fancy costumes and are going through 2 major events soon (BotA, and the Trial of Jean Grey) along with the flagship Mutant Avengers relations team, I was hoping at least one of those boxsets would be filled out before we went back to the 90's

If you have to go there, the flip side of that is we have tons of X-men teams in costumes that have been in print much much longer than the current versions. I was hoping to finish those teams off before we got to this new flash in the pan stuff.

Edited by elmeaux

My issue is that our 90's X-Force isn't complete.

We're missing Sunspot & Siryn (and Warpath, too, really).

We could've gotten them instead of any of the four that we are getting.

Cable, Sunspot, Siryn, and Warpath (with Thunderbird head) Boxed Set.

Shatterstar & Cannonball 2-pack (to mimic their previous release together) for Toys'R'Us.

Capullo Domino & Kyle/Yost X-Force Vanisher 2-pack for Toys'R'Us.

And, yeah, let's have 90's X-Factor before we start doing other 90's X-Force costumes for characters we already have.

Havok & Polaris 2-pack.

Strong Guy & Quicksilver 2-pack.

90's Wolfsbane & Multiple Man 2-pack.

K/Y X-Force Wolfsbane & Multiple Man 2-pack.

Forge & Val Cooper 2-pack for Toys'R'Us.

This is pretty much exactly what I was about to post.

Except Gideon has to get in there somehow too.

Edited by Turtle

For those who need clarification:

LIEFELD X-FORCE

1. Boom-Boom – hasn’t been made yet
  2. Cable – 2-pack with X-23
  3. Cannonball – TRU 2-pack
  4. Copycat as Domino – First X-Force box set
  5. Feral – First X-Force box set
  6. Shatterstar – TRU 2-Pack
  7. Siryn – hasn’t been made yet
  8. Warpath – hasn’t been made yet

CAPULLO X-FORCE

1. Boomer – TRU 2-Pack
  2. Cable – this box set
  3. Cannonball – this box set
  4. Domino – this box set
  5. Feral – hasn’t been made yet
  6. Rictor – TRU 2-Pack
  7. Shatterstar – this box set
  8. Siryn – hasn’t been made yet
  9. Sunspot – hasn’t been made yet
  10. Warpath – hasn’t been made yet

And I don’t get the complaints. There’s been such a strong focus on Marvel Now stuff and current stuff as of late. It’s nice for us 90’s kids to get something we want. It adds variety to the line. I don’t see how it’s “taking the spot” of another team you want to see released. I would rather teams that are half-completed get finished off before starting smething else. There’s no doubt in my mind we’ll get X-Factor eventually, but you can’t have everything at once. The argument "this could have been something else" is never one I will understand. Until literally every single character in the Marvel Universe is made, it can ALWAYS be something else....

This is my favorite incarnation of X-Force and probably my most wanted throwback X-team after 90's X-Factor (inc. Forge and Random). However it's all or nothing for me when buying throwback teams for me. This boxset + Rictor/Boom-Boom leaves four. Hopefully they're come quick or I worry they won't come at all. I was surprised we got Alpha Flight so quickly and even more surprised it didn't perform very well, so I don't know what to expect.

I suppose the reasoning is that this set harkens back to a time when comics were selling a ton. But it totally, totally misses the larger picture-- sales back then were driven by speculators, and a large majority of those of those fans aren't buying comics and/or toys today. Moreover, there's not a lot of nostalgia for that period; sure, there's some, but I would not say that these characters or this team is widely viewed with a lot of fondness. It's like making toys based on what Nathan Rabin terms a Forgotbuster: those movies that made a ton of money at one point, but quickly faded from public consciousness.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I think DST is often guilty of thinking that the almighty "X" on a package still drives sales blindly, when in fact that hasn't been the case since, well, roughly this period in the X-Men's history. You'd think sets like Age of X would have proven that, but I guess not. I'm not suggesting DST should avoid the X, but they need to do a much better job picking and choosing.

For those who need clarification:

LIEFELD X-FORCE

• Boom-Boom hasnt been made yet
  • Cable 2-pack with X-23
  • Cannonball TRU 2-pack
  • Copycat as Domino First X-Force box set
  • Feral First X-Force box set
  • Shatterstar TRU 2-Pack
  • Siryn hasnt been made yet
  • Warpath hasnt been made yet

CAPULLO X-FORCE

• Boomer TRU 2-Pack
  • Cable this box set
  • Cannonball this box set
  • Domino this box set
  • Feral hasnt been made yet
  • Rictor TRU 2-Pack
  • Shatterstar this box set
  • Siryn hasnt been made yet
  • Sunspot hasnt been made yet
  • Warpath hasnt been made yet

And I dont get the complaints. Theres been such a strong focus on Marvel Now stuff and current stuff as of late. Its nice for us 90s kids to get something we want. It adds variety to the line. I dont see how its taking the spot of another team you want to see released. I would rather teams that are half-completed get finished off before starting smething else. Theres no doubt in my mind well get X-Factor eventually, but you cant have everything at once. The argument "this could have been something else" is never one I will understand. Until literally every single character in the Marvel Universe is made, it can ALWAYS be something else....

Thanks this was helpful

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I think DST is often guilty of thinking that the almighty "X" on a package still drives sales blindly, when in fact that hasn't been the case since, well, roughly this period in the X-Men's history. You'd think sets like Age of X would have proven that, but I guess not. I'm not suggesting DST should avoid the X, but they need to do a much better job picking and choosing.

I think there's some truth to this, though I'm not sure whether I think it's about assuming the X-Men will sell or if it's more about Chuck's (or whoever is making final decisions regarding characters) personal preferences.

I'm fine with more 'mates based on the 90's, but less than excited that they are characters we've already had in 90's costumes, if not these particular costumes. If DST is going to take a risk on an out-of-left-field boxset with no major characters it would be nice to at least have one new character in there somewhere.