UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Capullo X-force Boxset

elmeaux

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG these figures are amazing! ! ! Until I saw Corther X's display, I had NO intention of displaying the Capullo Shatterstar and Cannonball. I always preferred the Liefeld Shatterstar look. But holy shit. The detailing on Sam is TOO good not to use him, and I'm not keeping JUST oldschool Shatterstar.

Now... to see if I can use Cable's armor for an interesting little custom project...

Over a year after these were first seen, I finally got mine in the mail today. These are pretty much perfect. The X-Force figures that ran alongside the X-Men line were my favorite back in the day. So many unique colorful designs. The first wave based on the Liefeld designs was kind of meh, but once they started incorporating Capullo's designs the line really got into a groove. This set perfectly captures the spirit of those figures and comics and in essence, my childhood.

On a broad note, I noticed the shoulders have a very wide range of motion. Same with the legs. Plastic quality is perfect. I like the newer molds that have been used, no crooked stances, the legs are equal length. No paint problems. They all come with the larger clear stands. On to each figure:

X-Ternal Cannonball: This is my favorite Cannonball look and has NEVER been made in any action figure line. I always hated having to use the Liefeld purple Cannonball with my old X-Force figures, it's so cool to finally have a 3D representation of this costume. The padding material on the gloves would have been an easy detail to overlook, but it's here and the tampo looks awesome. Morbius collar and same goggles are expected and they work. They even put the flight suit straps on his legs. Same blast stand as before. There's really only so much you can do with Cannonball but what they did do is damn near perfect. This is the figure I've been waiting for since I was 10 years old.

Warrior Shatterstar: I always dug this look over the original and it was done very well back in the old 90's line. Oddly enough, the swords appear to be new sculpts. The handles appear to be thinner than the old ones, but I might be wrong. I'm a little bummed at some of the parts reuse but that's only because I'm a perfectionist, most people won't even notice. His hairpiece is the same as the original. The original was always drawn as padding where this look was a smooth metal. Kind of like a half Magneto helmet. Same thing with his shoulder pads. The shoulder piece is reused from Rictor so the scarf bandana is there. It works. The reds are so bright that it almost washes the sculpting detail out anyway, so all is good. The helmet does fit a little low on his head covering up his eyes but it's easy to just let it sit higher. Nice attention to detail with the pupils omitted.

Heavy Armor Cable: Holy crap is this something. Don't expect him to do gymnastics in that chest harness, but what are you expecting from a Cable? There were reports that his rifle would be glued to his back, but mine wasn't. He gets two sets of brown boots, normal padded boots and then a HUGE pair of boots. He also gets cuffs, hands and feet to make his blue and yellow Skroce/Churchill costume. So cool to have a decent version of this look as it is probably his most iconic look, and he wore it for the longest time of any of his costumes. Since this was the 90s, he was never drawn consistently so it's cool that you can mix and match the brown and yellow boots and gloves to get a Cable you like. I would have liked his chest straps to be a separate piece to add some bulk, but what's done works fine. He does get an alternate goatee head to represent his look from the beginning of his first solo series. Unfortunately, he doesn't get a Mohawk to go with it. I need to find one for him, the Storm Mohawk was too big but maybe the Zangief one would work. He gets side holsters with two pistols and another gun fits into a pouch on the front of his armor. The armored look is loosely based on the first issues of his first ongoing and I believe there was a ToyBiz "Space Armor Cable" that did this look as well.

Triumphant Domino: "Triumphant?" Ok. Finally a (real) Domino! This was one of my favorite X-Force figures from back when the line was REALLY kicking ass right as they wound it down. They never made female figures back then so it sucked if you wanted to complete teams. If you grew up in the 80s or 90s then you know what I'm talking about. Dom was one of the earliest female figures that wasn't an A-lister. Thankfully, action figure companies started relaxing their "no females" policies then. Good times. Anyways, the minimate is what you would expect. She uses the AVX Scarlet Witch hair. I think. It feels bigger but I don't have that one in front of me to compare. Whatever it is it works. She has the holes cut into her costume sleeves which she was occasionally drawn with. She gets these round pistols that I've never seen before but someone smarter than me will point out where they came from. They're actually kind of an awkward fit in her holsters. She gets a new shoulder pad piece that is like the Wolverine shoulder pads, but with a connecting piece in the back. They slide back a little when you have the hairpiece on. No pupils on Domino either. Nice work!

I'm so happy to get these and can't wait for the rest of the team. For those who were bitching about repeats, I don't know what to tell you. I have no doubt we'll see the rest of the team eventually. It might not be tomorrow or anything but I think it will happen. I would rather we wait and get exact versions of teams than have to mix and match hodgepodge versions. I haven't been too enthusiastic about the line the past year, but sets like this give me hope. Awesome job DST!

I try not to give everybody the same name they've had before, so people can differentiate. Or at least, so Ivan can differentiate.

Hence, Heavy Armor Cable, X-ternal Cannonball, Warrior Shatterstar, Triumphant Domino.

Hail Ivan.

I LOVE that Ivan (and so the collecting community) are being considered when naming new figures :D

I just got this set today from my LCS, and it is awesome! Very 1990s Toy Biz feel! Makes me REALLY want a Warpath and a Sunspot plus a Siryn for sure! I'm still amazed at the breadth we have to choose from with the minimates. 3 different Sam Guthries to choose from!? I love that even though they have certainly improved over the years, they are still all compatible in terms of scale, design, etc. I can't wait to see what's in the works next! Oh, and Wave 60 needs to hurry up! :)

Wes

Wes, great point! VERY few Minimates are so "out of date" that they can't be displayed with their compatriots, meaning almost ALL are fair game for team/display building. And, most that ARE out of date have since been revisited. Marvel Legends is the only other toy line I can think of to run so long with such a consistent aesthetic. Maybe the 3 and 3/4 Star Wars line...?

Make sure you vote for The Best Minimates of 2014 Show!!! Voting ends soon so go place those votes!!!

Edited by Zak Katz

• 7 months later...