UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Capullo X-force Boxset

elmeaux

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for new characters and filling out gaps... but this is awesome. I may be biased since I just did customs based on this period so I have a full Capullo and Liefield team, but even if I didn't I'm in the camp of "another-version-of-characters-you-like" is better than nothing at all.

I don't dislike this set. I mean, I didn't read about it and think "pass". But I did read about it and think "why?". Mostly because we've been told that there won't be collector focused characters at TRU going forward. That cuts a pretty decent chunk out of the available slots to release the older stuff that a lot of us ask for & want. Then add in the amount of movie waves and current for a minute stuff like Marvel NOW and the AoU box set and the slots for collector focused stuff just keep being reduced.

Then look at how many teams have been halfway done or almost finished only to be forgotten or put off. The track record for following through and completing a team that looks nice in a display hasn't been great. Instead we have several teams that are missing key members. When you start adding up those missing characters, then look at how limited the slots are for getting characters from that corner of 80's/90's and/or collector focused areas, the math starts to look bad when we see four slots that could have gone towards finishing up other teams instead getting to the middle of the road on a team that will most likely be added to the ranks of the unfinished.

So it isn't that Capullo X-Force sucks at all. And I'm sure that there are plenty of people that are happy to see this specific box set or any 90's X-related box set in general. Hell, I plan on buying it before even seeing the finished product. It's just that this set doesn't give us a new character and it adds to the problem of unfinished teams instead of potentially solving some of that problem.

I agree. Well put.

that these characters had their moment in the sun twenty years ago. Sure, Marvel keeps reusing the X-Force name, but when was the last time these guys were X-Force? The Rob Liefeld mini from 10 years ago? Not even Marvel is trying to milk the nostalgia factor with these guys.

Isn't every character you want from the 70's & 80's?

Edited by TENIME_art

Wow! This announcement has sure sparked a lot of debate and we haven't even seen the 'mates yet!! lol

Anyway, guess I may as well throw in an opinion while I'm here. I'm kind of mixed on it actually. As one of the people who is frustrated by the current preoccupation with movie and Marvel NOW releases, it is nice to see some older stuff. Unfortunately the older stuff I want to see is more from the '70's and 80's so as a non-"X fan" and someone who didn't read comics in the '90's this set holds little appeal for me personally. However, that isn't DST's fault of course, you can't please everyone and obviously there are plenty of people to who this team means a lot so that's fair enough. I'm also sure they will look cool and I'm pretty sure I will buy it when I see them.

Having said that, I do agree with those who think it's a surprising choice of theme. To me the X-force corner of the MU seems to have had a fair bit of attention already (I appreciate their fans will say not enough lol) whereas there are other teams that have had very little or none, eg inhumans, guardians of the galaxy, west coast avengers - even the brotherhood if we are talking "X" related - and which also would give us plenty of new characters. With there seemingly being quite restricted spots for comic releases at the moment it seems a shame to me to see 4 characters we already have, and certainly surprising to me that we will have 2 versions of some of these before we even have one version of so many other (to my mind) higher profile characters (Cable being the exception of course).

However, despite not being particularly enthusiastic about this set I still like the fact that minimates do give us such surprising releases and it gives me hope that the non A-list stuff I want to see made still has a good chance of getting a turn one day soon. I could probably do with DST employing a 1970's avengers fan really...

In my opinion more Minimates is always good news.

Above any complaints or preferences or issues I ever have, this is more prevalent than any of that, Zach.

I picked up the wave 1 Daredevil sets on clearance back in 2004, and immediately scoured every store that carried them and hit eBay hard until I was 100% caught up to the then current wave 5 (well, 99.9% - I'm still missing black suit Elektra).

This style of figures (the 2" - I tried getting a few 3"ers, but they weren't as captivating as their smaller brethren) is my absolute favorite action figure line ever. This is the only type of action figure I'm a completist with.

Every new figure we get is a present, every new license acquired is cause for celebration.

I want to see the 20th anniversary of Minimates, and I don't care how many of the same Dr. Octopi or Shatterstars we get in that span (as long as we still get new characters, naturally, lol), as long as this line and this license keeps going.

So, thank you, Zach, thank you, Chuck, thank you, DST.

Though Sunspot & Siryn aren't a part of this set, and I already got my dream Cannonball & Shatterstar, I will be buying this set, and every other one you choose to grace us with.

Thank you, sincerly.

thumbsup.gif

The only thing that gets me about this set is that we still don't have 90's versions of Sunspot and Warpath and we have zero versions of Siryn. As it is, we're now looking at two incomplete 90's X-Force teams when I would have been happy with one hodgepodge team. Here's to hoping that the missing characters eventually make it out.

I think you highlight a far more disturbing issue--we're gonna have 3 Cannonballs, 2 Shatterstars, 2 different Warpaths, etc. No Siryn yet? We don't have freakin' Banshee yet!! Or Toad. I'm seriously beginning to think we'll get Gideon before we get Banshee, and that makes me cry inside.

A GSXM2 set with Banshee and Sunfire and updates of Cyclops and Storm would be the bees knees.

While this is exactly the first thing that would pop into my head as a box set i would want, I will be buying it immediately. I love that era of X-Force.

In my opinion, the only reason people are dissappointed in this set is the large amount of new characters that haven't been made yet. I'm a character collecter so I completely understand that, although I will always jump at a redesign if it excites me.

I think that's only part of the reason; it seems like X-Force has gotten attention far out of proportion to their actual popularity or importance. Sure, there's a half dozen people here really excited about it but if we were an accurate reflection of what the market actually wanted there wouldn't be Alpha Flight sets on clearance everywhere.

I think that's only part of the reason; it seems like X-Force has gotten attention far out of proportion to their actual popularity or importance. Sure, there's a half dozen people here really excited about it but if we were an accurate reflection of what the market actually wanted there wouldn't be Alpha Flight sets on clearance everywhere.

I think the "inaccurate reflection" thing works both ways. Just because there are fewer people HERE who want old-school re-dos of X-Force characters than wanted a complete Alpha Flight, that doesn't mean there aren't more fans out there in the world. Case in point: Marvel has two X-Force titles on the stands, and NO Alpha Flight. Hell, even Puck defected to X-Force. Factor in the X-Force movie buzz and the fact that Cable and Domino used to buddy around with Deadpool, undeniably one of the most popular characters in the MU right now, and X-Force might be more popular AND important than some people think. I hope the set will sell well. But we'll see!

I think the "inaccurate reflection" thing works both ways. Just because there are fewer people HERE who want old-school re-dos of X-Force characters than wanted a complete Alpha Flight, that doesn't mean there aren't more fans out there in the world. Case in point: Marvel has two X-Force titles on the stands, and NO Alpha Flight. Hell, even Puck defected to X-Force. Factor in the X-Force movie buzz and the fact that Cable and Domino used to buddy around with Deadpool, undeniably one of the most popular characters in the MU right now, and X-Force might be more popular AND important than some people think. I hope the set will sell well. But we'll see!

It's the same old cycle of doubt, hesitation, then universal acclaim. This box set will be fine.

I mostly just don't like the designs (not counting Cable). I hate those padded helmet things and the puffy shoulder pads. Would be much more excited if these figures were like transformation thing with less garrish and simpler figures underneath all the padding.

I mostly just don't like the designs (not counting Cable). I hate those padded helmet things and the puffy shoulder pads. Would be much more excited if these figures were like transformation thing with less garrish and simpler figures underneath all the padding.

I'm really not following. Why wouldn't there be simple figures underneath the padding and armor? Isn't that how it's always been done? What makes you think this set would be different?

And we haven't even seen control art or pictures yet.

I just hate the costumes and I know we haven't seen control art yet. But, if you look at the Boomer/Rictor 2 pack, I think that set would have sold so much better if something like this

Boom-Boom_(Tabitha_Smith).JPG

were hidden under this:

boom-boom_480x480.jpg

much the same way transformation Thing has jump suit Ben Grimm hidden underneath.

I especially would want this for Domino. I really hope we don't just get one head piece with that purple helmet thing and no way to remove the helmet.

I just hate the costumes and I know we haven't seen control art yet. But, if you look at the Boomer/Rictor 2 pack, I think that set would have sold so much better if something like this

Boom-Boom_(Tabitha_Smith).JPG

were hidden under this:

boom-boom_480x480.jpg

much the same way transformation Thing has jump suit Ben Grimm hidden underneath.

I especially would want this for Domino. I really hope we don't just get one head piece with that purple helmet thing and no way to remove the helmet.

How is that even possible with Boomer? I like both costumes but there's no way to do that costume underneath the older one. They're completely different color schemes! Edited by bigvis497

Both are already pretty simple figures, but if you want to remove shoulder pads and collars, go for it. The base costumes will still be blue. And yeah, I don't see how you could have possibly hidden a Pollina Boomer under a Capullo Boomer. These aren't nesting dolls.

Today's NOW is Tomorrow's CLASSIC

That's fine. And after they wait 10 years like some of us have been to finish the GS X-men team, they can have the rest of their Uncanny Mighty X-venger Whosawhatzit team the kids like these days. Now get offa my lawn! wink.png

My thought is that when releasing figures for fairly secondary type characters in costume designs that are based on a very specific era I would hope that DST could allow for simple customization to a more generically classic costume design through accessories and removing of pieces.

Boomers head came with sunglasses permanently attached. Will domino's helmet be permanent? Will there be an alternate head that fully reveals her face and the black spot over her eye?

I know we haven't seen the designs yet, but I feel that there may be some room for improvement from a design perspective.

Not to get off track but consider the forthcoming Falcon figure. I imagine that it would be kind of simple to include parts to allow the customer to convert that figure into the more classic design. Maybe they will release a separate version of the more classic design but what if they don't?

It seems like there is a constant push and pull from members of this board wanting new versus classic designs. I would suggest that for secondary characters DST could actively try to design one figure that meets the wishes for both groups of buyers by allowing for part swaps and figure within a figure design.

I offer this not as criticism of this set but more as feedback on possible ways to improve the product line to please more fans.