UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Capullo X-force Boxset

elmeaux

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised there's *that* much distaste for the NOW stuff. The costumes are not dramatically different or any worse than any other era of costumes; the vast majority of them are streamlined takes on past looks, and the ones that aren't (X-face Cyclops, white Magneto, movie-sequel Hawkeye, and armor-y Cap) are by no means radical departures from the accepted superhero costume archetype.

Is the dislike just coming from the fact that it's new, and people don't like new stuff until it's old?

Nope. I liked plenty of "new" stuff when I was still reading Marvel regularly. I disliked plenty of stuff too. I just don't think they have very good designers working on the whole "now" thing. Good artists, but not designers.

And do we have official stats on how many X-Force readers hated the book even as they read it? I read the book during this era, and I loved it. I mourned when Pollina took over art and Capullo defected to Spawn. I have nostalgia for these looks, and I do not own the other X-Force box set. This set was not my idea, but I'd buy it.

I think the resistance to NOW stems, as with the resistance to this set, from a desire for us to finish what we started before moving on to something new. Why make NOW looks/Capullo X-Force when we still haven't gotten classic character X/Liefeld character Y. I think there's room for both.

That's exactly how I feel about it. And it really is cool to hear that you feel like there is room for both. I know it isn't confirmation or anything like that but it's nice to hear something positive about the possibility of getting teams finished. I honestly think that finishing up a couple would make sets like this have a much more positive reception. Both because there would be less for people to draw on as far as unfinished wants go and because there would be a sense that once you buy a 2 pack or box set of a team then you have a reasonable expectation that it will build into something bigger.

I know that everyone has their favorites and it's impossible for any company to make everyone happy with every release. So it's not like I'm arguing that either of the Uncanny X-Force teams, GSX team, etc... are better teams or more important or anything like that. I would just like to see them completed before adding to other incomplete teams.

Stats? No. But considering that the entire industry collapsed, and Marvel went bankrupt shortly after X-Force was at it's peak, I think it's safe to say that readers weren't so enamored.

Okay, that's unfair. I'm not trying to blame the entire collapse of the comic book industry on X-Force (not directly...smile.png ). But a lot of those sales figures were artificial, based on speculation rather then genuine like or dislike for the book. Hell, a lot of people buying comics in those days weren't even reading the damn things, so there's really no way to know if they liked it or not.

I'm sorry, I should probably just shut up about this. I know that a lot of guys here have very fond memories of that time in comics, and I don't mean to rag on it. I don't have fond memories, but that's really more to do with the Direct Market collapse then the material itself. It's just a bad association.

Stats? No. But considering that the entire industry collapsed, and Marvel went bankrupt shortly after X-Force was at it's peak, I think it's safe to say that readers weren't so enamored.

Okay, that's unfair. I'm not trying to blame the entire collapse of the comic book industry on X-Force (not directly...smile.png ). But a lot of those sales figures were artificial, based on speculation rather then genuine like or dislike for the book. Hell, a lot of people buying comics in those days weren't even reading the damn things, so there's really no way to know if they liked it or not.

I'm sorry, I should probably just shut up about this. I know that a lot of guys here have very fond memories of that time in comics, and I don't mean to rag on it. I don't have fond memories, but that's really more to do with the Direct Market collapse then the material itself. It's just a bad association.

I think you're confusing things. This X-Force is from after Liefeld left. And yes it was a pretty damn good book under Nicieza and Capullo. I think a lot of people who slam X-Force only read that early stuff, and I wouldn't blame you that stuff was pretty bad. But please don't confuse the runs, X-Force after Liefeld was a pretty damn solid super hero title. If you actually did read it and thought it sucked then I apologize.

I can't remember how much of that run I read. I followed Capullo from Quasar ( I loved his work on that book) and didn't like that he'd adapted his style to fit the Liefeld/ Lee look that was so prevalent at the time. So I think I only read about two issues of his run. Honestly, I've been surprised at how much I've liked Capullo's Batman work, since the little I saw after he took over Spawn was not to my taste at all.

I can't remember how much of that run I read. I followed Capullo from Quasar ( I loved his work on that book) and didn't like that he'd adapted his style to fit the Liefeld/ Lee look that was so prevalent at the time. So I think I only read about two issues of his run. Honestly, I've been surprised at how much I've liked Capullo's Batman work, since the little I saw after he took over Spawn was not to my taste at all.

Really? Hmm, I actually thought Capullo's style from around that time was like a Jim Lee'd up version of John Romita Jr. Not much different than his Quasar. There wasn't really a lot of early 90's trappings of the time that plagued other books, I think it still holds up today.

Now if you're talking about immediately after Liefeld left, well, that stuff is horrible. Liefeld is bad enough, but lesser artists trying to imitate his style is really bad. And yes there are artists who aren't as talented as Liefeld. Check out Mark Pacella X-Force, not pretty.

Edited by bigvis497

Really? Hmm, I actually thought Capullo's style from around that time was like a Jim Lee'd up version of John Romita Jr. Not much different than his Quasar. There wasn't really a lot of early 90's trappings of the time that plagued other books, I think it still holds up today.

Now if you're talking about immediately after Liefeld left, well, that stuff is horrible. Liefeld is bad enough, but lesser artists trying to imitate his style is really bad. And yes there are artists who aren't as talented as Liefeld. Check out Mark Pacella X-Force, not pretty.

Jim Lee'd version of JRJR is a good way to put it. It's probably more then anything that I was dismayed that he left a book I loved for one I really didn't like very much. But his figures, which had always seemed so smooth on Quasar, suddenly became all angular and bulky (admittedly, a lot of that was the costumes). Hey, who's up for a Capullo Quasar box set?

capquasar.jpg

thumbsup.gif

This set will sell. It may even sell like crazy. I've been looking for a replacement set for the RL X-Force set and have had trouble finding it online for under $60 here. And Cannonball and Shatterstar are probably a good deal more popular that poor ol' Feral.
X-Force #1 sold 5 Million copies. A LOT of people remember that book. We can all debate the merits of the story telling techniques, the art and whether or not comic buyers today are the same as they were then, but i remember these comics and the era they were from fondly, i think a LOT of other people do too.

The 90's animated series probably helped with that too.

You might not love the period personally, but i don't think you can argue with the nostalgia factor that will be associated with these. 5 million is a LOT of copies.

I guess time will tell though. Me - i'm probably going to 2 sets :P

Sorry people don't like it! Lots of people did read these comics back in the day, which means lots of people like these characters and remember these costumes. Maybe it is personal preference, but it's obviously not one man's preference, since plenty of people here seem to want them, and the original box set sold very well. Also, I've heard a lot of feedback from people who don't want more Marvel NOW Minimates.

That old Cable is underneath a big set of shoulderpads, and there's a goateed head as well.

THIS, I think it's hilarious that they're including that goatee'd face of his that he had for 5 minutes. I'm not a fan of the NOW stuff either. Read the first 10 issues or so of uncanny avengers and those were ok. But I am so buying this set. I personally don't care what Diamond puts out as long as they keep making minimates. If I had the money I might purchase most of the mates they release. As it stands, I just buy what appeals to me which seems to be about 50% of the all the mates they put out (a rough percentage). So keep doing what you're doing Zach. Just keep the minimates coming and I'll be happy :)

I'd find the nostalgia argument a little more convincing if we didn't already have versions of these characters. I have enough nostalgia to buy one Shatterstar figure (which happens to match up with the Toybiz version I had when I was young), but two is pushing it.

I'd find the nostalgia argument a little more convincing if we didn't already have versions of these characters. I have enough nostalgia to buy one Shatterstar figure (which happens to match up with the Toybiz version I had when I was young), but two is pushing it.

I think thats the appeal of this line. For something like Legends or Universe, if they release a minor character in a look you dont prefer, you're screwed. I like that we're on our third Cannonball. I want to see as many looks as possible for all characters. And there were Shatterstar figures for both looks back in the day.

Edited by bigvis497

As a collector and fan of marvel and Minimates, I'll keep being happy whatever DST give us. It could have easily been a much worse set ,spiderman costumes 4 pack for example (not saying I would'nt be happy for more suits)

I've not read any x-force except uncanny, and only recognise domino and cable, needless to say I'm happy to have the chance to have it.

In my opinion more Minimates is always good news.

I have mixed feelings about this set. I'm a big x-fan (especially 90's X) so I'm getting this set. But I'm actually pretty happy with my mixed eras 90's x-force. So Ok I'm fine with having Cable anchor the box but definitely needed warpath sunspot and syrin in there with him.

The only thing that gets me about this set is that we still don't have 90's versions of Sunspot and Warpath and we have zero versions of Siryn. As it is, we're now looking at two incomplete 90's X-Force teams when I would have been happy with one hodgepodge team. Here's to hoping that the missing characters eventually make it out.

The only thing that gets me about this set is that we still don't have 90's versions of Sunspot and Warpath and we have zero versions of Siryn. As it is, we're now looking at two incomplete 90's X-Force teams when I would have been happy with one hodgepodge team. Here's to hoping that the missing characters eventually make it out.

I think you highlight a far more disturbing issue--we're gonna have 3 Cannonballs, 2 Shatterstars, 2 different Warpaths, etc. No Siryn yet? We don't have freakin' Banshee yet!! Or Toad. I'm seriously beginning to think we'll get Gideon before we get Banshee, and that makes me cry inside.