UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Capullo X-force Boxset

elmeaux

I think there's some truth to this, though I'm not sure whether I think it's about assuming the X-Men will sell or if it's more about Chuck's (or whoever is making final decisions regarding characters) personal preferences.

I'm fine with more 'mates based on the 90's, but less than excited that they are characters we've already had in 90's costumes, if not these particular costumes. If DST is going to take a risk on an out-of-left-field boxset with no major characters it would be nice to at least have one new character in there somewhere.

I think it's personal preference by whoever is making the final decisions. Multiple Betsy Bradocks, a fan poll needed to get to characters like Zemo made, multiple versions of X-force characters that are what c-listers at best. It reeks of personal preference. Edited by fwoosheyman

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems odd that while we have 3 major X-men teams that have new fancy costumes and are going through 2 major events soon (BotA, and the Trial of Jean Grey) along with the flagship Mutant Avengers relations team, I was hoping at least one of those boxsets would be filled out before we went back to the 90's

If you have to go there, the flip side of that is we have tons of X-men teams in costumes that have been in print much much longer than the current versions. I was hoping to finish those teams off before we got to this new flash in the pan stuff.

The thing is, it is flash in the pan. this is the opportune moment for modern costumes since they seem so transient and get replaced every 3 years or so, and thus forgotten.

Finishing off other costumes cause most of them are either fan demanded, iconic, etc, would seem easier, like this. Hell, this could have been saved to closer to the X-Force movie lol.

As short lived as it was this version of Cannonball has always been my favorite look So I'm excited about this set just for that fact alone. However if it is an update of wave 11 Cable I'm excited about finally getting the figure with removable harness.

Hopefully there'll be a TRU tie in pack with Sunspot and Siryn. While Warpath is a want I figure with Sunspot currently being an Avenger makes him more likely and Siryn's look didn't change very much for so long that her inclusion would seem likely.

I can't wait to see pictures.

Sorry people don't like it! Lots of people did read these comics back in the day, which means lots of people like these characters and remember these costumes. Maybe it is personal preference, but it's obviously not one man's preference, since plenty of people here seem to want them, and the original box set sold very well. Also, I've heard a lot of feedback from people who don't want more Marvel NOW Minimates.

That old Cable is underneath a big set of shoulderpads, and there's a goateed head as well.

Hmm... Though I'm happy to have this new boxset I guess I'd much rather have the 90's X-Force complete with some missing mates. What kills me is knowing that chances are we'll have another incomplete team in our list... :(

I don't have much against this set other than it woulda been nice to see some characters from the team that weren't already out. I'm a sucker for all things X so I'll likely get it, but like everyone else who I'd really like to see would be Sunspot and Siryn (also from this era)...

I don't dislike this set. I mean, I didn't read about it and think "pass". But I did read about it and think "why?". Mostly because we've been told that there won't be collector focused characters at TRU going forward. That cuts a pretty decent chunk out of the available slots to release the older stuff that a lot of us ask for & want. Then add in the amount of movie waves and current for a minute stuff like Marvel NOW and the AoA box set and the slots for collector focused stuff just keep being reduced.

Then look at how many teams have been halfway done or almost finished only to be forgotten or put off. The track record for following through and completing a team that looks nice in a display hasn't been great. Instead we have several teams that are missing key members. When you start adding up those missing characters, then look at how limited the slots are for getting characters from that corner of 80's/90's and/or collector focused areas, the math starts to look bad when we see four slots that could have gone towards finishing up other teams instead getting to the middle of the road on a team that will most likely be added to the ranks of the unfinished.

So it isn't that Capullo X-Force sucks at all. And I'm sure that there are plenty of people that are happy to see this specific box set or any 90's X-related box set in general. Hell, I plan on buying it before even seeing the finished product. It's just that this set doesn't give us a new character and it adds to the problem of unfinished teams instead of potentially solving some of that problem.

Also, I've heard a lot of feedback from people who don't want more Marvel NOW Minimates.

This. I'll happily take this, or any set despite releases, characters already done, anything over NOW mates.

Why though?

Not saying I don't love older stuff (I do with a passion, and I still hold out for a boxset based on Inferno, lol) but why refuse any modern stuff?

I like this boxset, since I love Cable and Domino (never read Capullo's X-force, but hell, I'd like a Gen X set lol) but I would pretty much take any era of Marvel for minimates (except Wolverine nonsense, but thats because I absolutely abhor the character)

Sorry people don't like it! Lots of people did read these comics back in the day, which means lots of people like these characters and remember these costumes. Maybe it is personal preference, but it's obviously not one man's preference, since plenty of people here seem to want them, and the original box set sold very well. Also, I've heard a lot of feedback from people who don't want more Marvel NOW Minimates.

That old Cable is underneath a big set of shoulderpads, and there's a goateed head as well.

Does cable have the ponytail too? Maybe this box-set will lead to a Stryfe & Siryn 2 pack.

Except Gideon has to get in there somehow too.

Make this man President!

Then add in the amount of movie waves and current for a minute stuff like Marvel NOW and the AoA box set and the slots for collector focused stuff just keep being reduced.

Whaaaa - Did i miss some news? Are we getting more AoA?

I love this box-set already. I grew up loving the brightness of the 90's... even if it was a bit garish for others, it was heaven for me. Pure, crazy, escapism.

I will add that i would DEARLY love to see some of the unmade characters put out to round out the teams, but who knows - maybe TRU will give us a Syrin/Warpath 2-pack and a Sunspot Gideon 2-Pack later in the year?

Still - this is awesome news. These characters in these costumes are my childhood. I think the looks will translate really well into minimates with great sculpted pieces and loud colours. I can't wait to see the designs. Please please please post pics soon!

Edited by Nessex

Except Gideon has to get in there somehow too.

Make this man President!

>Then add in the amount of movie waves and current for a minute stuff like Marvel NOW and the AoA box set and the slots for collector focused stuff just keep being reduced.

Whaaaa - Did i miss some news? Are we getting more AoA?

I think he meant AoU.

I don't dislike this set. I mean, I didn't read about it and think "pass". But I did read about it and think "why?". Mostly because we've been told that there won't be collector focused characters at TRU going forward. That cuts a pretty decent chunk out of the available slots to release the older stuff that a lot of us ask for & want. Then add in the amount of movie waves and current for a minute stuff like Marvel NOW and the AoA box set and the slots for collector focused stuff just keep being reduced.

Then look at how many teams have been halfway done or almost finished only to be forgotten or put off. The track record for following through and completing a team that looks nice in a display hasn't been great. Instead we have several teams that are missing key members. When you start adding up those missing characters, then look at how limited the slots are for getting characters from that corner of 80's/90's and/or collector focused areas, the math starts to look bad when we see four slots that could have gone towards finishing up other teams instead getting to the middle of the road on a team that will most likely be added to the ranks of the unfinished.

So it isn't that Capullo X-Force sucks at all. And I'm sure that there are plenty of people that are happy to see this specific box set or any 90's X-related box set in general. Hell, I plan on buying it before even seeing the finished product. It's just that this set doesn't give us a new character and it adds to the problem of unfinished teams instead of potentially solving some of that problem.

Agree 110%

Technically, we are finishing a team, one we started with that Rictor-Boomer two-pack.

And we were never going to use a four-pack to finish a team that only has secondary and tertiary characters remaining. There is no magical Siryn-Warpath-Boom-Boom-Gideon four-pack this replaced. A set needs an anchor, and Cable is it, although the other three are pretty well-known too.

Also, I've heard a lot of feedback from people who don't want more Marvel NOW Minimates.

This. I'll happily take this, or any set despite releases, characters already done, anything over NOW mates.

Agree. This stuff is toy friendly and reminds me of a time when comics weren't so self aware. The Now designs are pretty wretched. It's like they're embarrassed to be comic books. I'll take stuff like this over "realistic" muted color schemes any day.

Technically, we are finishing a team, one we started with that Rictor-Boomer two-pack.

And we were never going to use a four-pack to finish a team that only has secondary and tertiary characters remaining. There is no magical Siryn-Warpath-Boom-Boom-Gideon four-pack this replaced. A set needs an anchor, and Cable is it, although the other three are pretty well-known too.

If they aren't known now, they will be when the X-Force movie comes out lol

Agree. This stuff is toy friendly and reminds me of a time when comics weren't so self aware. The Now designs are pretty wretched. It's like they're embarrassed to be comic books. I'll take stuff like this over "realistic" muted color schemes any day.

While I agree that many of the NOW costumes are awful I think it's a pretty difficult criticism to make when we're talking about 90's X-Force 'mates. Nobody is going to be winning any awards for achievements in costume design from either of those groups.

Seems to me that "a lot of people read those comics" does not equal "a lot of people like these characters" at all, but that's just me....smile.png

Assuming that you can only like a character if you read the comic they're in, then more people reading a comic means more people liking a character, right? Otherwise, they would have stopped reading pretty quick?

As far as I know, X-Force continued to be read and enjoyed for a while after this, and all of the characters are still active today, right? I'm not making up a fan base for Cable, Domino, Cannonball and Shatterstar. If the X-Force name didn't have good will surrounding it, I doubt they'd keep using it as a title. And the first X Force set sold well, is my understanding.

Edited by DSTZach

I'm surprised there's *that* much distaste for the NOW stuff. The costumes are not dramatically different or any worse than any other era of costumes; the vast majority of them are streamlined takes on past looks, and the ones that aren't (X-face Cyclops, white Magneto, movie-sequel Hawkeye, and armor-y Cap) are by no means radical departures from the accepted superhero costume archetype.

Is the dislike just coming from the fact that it's new, and people don't like new stuff until it's old?

I think the resistance to NOW stems, as with the resistance to this set, from a desire for us to finish what we started before moving on to something new. Why make NOW looks/Capullo X-Force when we still haven't gotten classic character X/Liefeld character Y. I think there's room for both.

Actually, I think "more people reading means more people like XYZ" has been proven to be incorrect. People hate-read all the time; there are lots and lots and lots of examples of best sellers (two off the top of my head: Ultimatum and Identity Crisis) whose reception was, at best, mixed. Conversely, there are lots and lots and lots of examples of comics that everybody that read them loved... but not enough people read. Comics readers read the things people are talking about, good or bad, and have for decades (since at least Crisis and Secret Wars, I'd say).

But regardless of that, the point is that these characters had their moment in the sun twenty years ago. Sure, Marvel keeps reusing the X-Force name, but when was the last time these guys were X-Force? The Rob Liefeld mini from 10 years ago? Not even Marvel is trying to milk the nostalgia factor with these guys.