UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
MisterPL

The Alien™ Franchise

Thanks for the help guys! This place is the best!

4 hours ago, SCW said:

Thanks for the help guys! This place is the best!

Actual fact.

I'd love nothing more than to see DST pick up where they left off but they'd need a retailer willing to help them out with that.

That said, I feel bad for Dark Horse. First Star Wars and now this.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, MisterPL said:

That said, I feel bad for Dark Horse. First Star Wars and now this.

I know it was all the way back in 2014 when Disney acquired Star Wars, and transferred the comic license to Marvel but there's still some salt left in the wound from that one. Dark Horse made some truly brilliant Star Wars comics back in the day, and even as good as some of the newer Marvel runs have been, to me it still doesn't quite stack up. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking

On 7/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, OvenproofBug6 said:

I know it was all the way back in 2014 when Disney acquired Star Wars, and transferred the comic license to Marvel but there's still some salt left in the wound from that one. Dark Horse made some truly brilliant Star Wars comics back in the day, and even as good as some of the newer Marvel runs have been, to me it still doesn't quite stack up. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking

I've started tracking down a lot of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff recently, and I really couldn't agree more. Especially with how many series got cut off by the license changeover before they could provide satisfying conclusions.

15 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I've started tracking down a lot of the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff recently, and I really couldn't agree more. Especially with how many series got cut off by the license changeover before they could provide satisfying conclusions.

Ooooh, don't get me started on those series. Dawn of the Jedi had a ton of fun, wacky potential, and was just an all around fresh concept and I think it maybe most of all out of those series was hurt the most by being condensed to 3 short story arcs especially after all the plot threads it seemed the first and second ones had introduced. Wood's OT series set between ep. IV and V was decent, if anything the one complaint I'd have is that the writing for Luke's character felt pretty far off, and it too was hurt by having to wrap all the loose threads in a single story arc. I have yet to read Legacy II but am interested solely is a follow up to the original Legacy series that I loved so much. 

My general opinion since Marvel had taken back over has just been that a lot of it hasn't felt fresh and new to the Star Wars universe, nothing really testing the limits of Star Wars storytelling; something I think Dark Horse runs like Dawn of the Jedi, or Legacy, or Tales of the Jedi, or even Dark Empire really tried to do, with varying degrees of success. I'm optimistic with the High Republic coming (even though it's been delayed) to spice up Star Wars comics a bit.

I'd be interested to see what Marvel does with these newly acquired licenses and if they plan to produce some Alien, Predator or Terminator ongoing or miniseries in the near future. I'm a big Alien fan, and could see myself picking up a new Alien comic, having never read any of the old Dark Horse stuff.

I know Eaglemoss has larger scale vehicle that you build over the course of a subscription. This doesn't appear to be one of them.

As for Minimates, I'm pretty content with DST's APC. We do need that Dropship, though. Does Lanard offer one yet?