UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

The only problem I see with the Alien 4-pack is the same as always; some collectors will hold out to see if DST offers the rest of the crew because they want it all or nothing. Which of course affects sales and lowers the chance another set gets made. Why DST doesn't offer two sets the way they did with Alpha Flight I don't understand. Or offer the first set with pics of a second set on the back of the package as a sign of good faith. Anything to nuture collector confidence.

This comment, one million percent.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO a second box set would need a Big Chap *or* Ripley to sell the set..... and the Big Chap might be seen as the bigger pull of those two. Having said that, I could very happily take a 4-pack made up of Ripley Variant, Ash, Dallas & Lambert. I think that accessories often sell sets that might be rejected on character choice alone. Pack this one with a BD Ash head, rolled up magazine, face-hugger, egg/s & baby Big Chap as he was fresh out of Kane & i think you'd have a good shot at moving a lot of pieces.

I have the Dragon Apollo 11 astronaut.

Though I don't know about the lack of astronaut figures in general, the Dragon ones seem to be extremely popular in the 1/6 scale world. I guess any genuine human accomplishment is not considered interesting enough for most collectors to get strongly behind. Edited by karamazov80

On another OT, Alien-related note, I just saw this. Hard to be optimistic about any Alien-franchise video game, but this certainly looks really excellent.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/original-alien-cast-reunite-for-alien-isolation-dlc?watch

Hey, I would love to get three or four box sets out of Alien 1, I just think the ship may have sailed. I'll keep pitching it, and maybe we can mix in some Alien 2-packs down the road, who knows.

Otherwise, I think we just need to accept that the single box set per movie is a long-standing tradition in Minimates. If Aliens had been limited to just a box set, that would have been a crime, but I think this set holds up next to the BTTF, Rocky and Good/Bad/Ugly sets.

Hey, I would love to get three or four box sets out of Alien 1, I just think the ship may have sailed. I'll keep pitching it, and maybe we can mix in some Alien 2-packs down the road, who knows.

Otherwise, I think we just need to accept that the single box set per movie is a long-standing tradition in Minimates. If Aliens had been limited to just a box set, that would have been a crime, but I think this set holds up next to the BTTF, Rocky and Good/Bad/Ugly sets.

I would bring up Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Kill Bill, Sin City, and Pulp Fiction here. I think that is what has most of us upset over the dedication to ALIEN, Zach. We're seeing these other films getting multiple boxsets solicited/announced before the first one even gets released, and we just want that same kind of dedication to ALIEN. You already have the license...run the damn thing into the ground until we Ask DST "Please guys...enough with the ALIEN Minimates..."

smile.png

Edited by youbastards

Would it be possible for future Aliens sets to include characters from the first movie? I seem to recall that when Terminator was still an active license, Kyle Reese from the first movie was mixed in with characters from Terminator 2.

Or if you want to get more mileage out of the OG Alien head mold, how about a second army builder case with one Dallas, Brett, Lambert and Ash and 8 Aliens? I certainly wouldn't mind having multiples of the original Alien.

"The ship may have sailed?!"

The first SKU hasn't hit retail yet but "the ship may have sailed?"

The lack of faith in this property is disturbing.

Phrases like that lead me to believe that DST looks at the Alien franchise as a one-off property. Something tells me we're going to get FAR less than what we expect out of this line. It's going all "Star Trek Legacy" already. Might as well cancel my pre-orders if that's the case.

I think Zach's comment of "The ship may have sailed" was directly referring to the ALIEN movie line. If I remember correctly, it was explicitly stated from the beginning that the ALIEN box set was in celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the film. Neither Zach nor DST ever mentioned further sets let alone tell us to expect that line to grow. They did however always state that they had plans for ALIENS as made evident by discussions and control art/prototypes from cons. I think at this point if your interest is solely in ALIEN, filling out the crew of the Nostromo, and not wanting a cool (if incomplete) set of ALIEN 'mates, then you might as well cancel your preorders. Although every set sold adds more of an incentive to continue the line. I do think the ALIENS line will expand though as that movie has many other successful toy lines. I don't know, I guess I'm one of the few people who'd rather have gotten part of a line than none at all.

Edited by CBMM1

That's the kicker, ALIEN has momentum right now, more so than probably any other time in the last 20 years. There is a new video game coming in October that looks amazing, and several new books have been or are being published this year that deal directly with events of the original movie...and Fox has stated they are all canon, for what that is worth. In addition to the ALIEN Isolation game, like karamazov80's post states above, they actually got the original actors including Sigourney Weaver to come back and record dialogue for some bonus missions.

I know DST got into the license for ALIENS, but why not strike while the iron is hot?

I think I'm just more puzzled than anything that outside of doing a box set or two pack that are strictly Alien they seem to be of the opinion at DST that there's no other way to get these characters out, I feel like I offered two very realistic and reasonable options if they wanted to continue. My question is more why DST seems to be so reluctant to pursue the first movie as part of the overall license, when I feel like it is just as popular as the second? And also I think that casual buyers aren't going to draw as big a distinction between the two movies, they see the Alien itself and will pick one up, I don't think that the movie it's based upon is going to be a dealbreaker. I would like to see DST look at this property as an overall universe, where everything has a place, instead of focusing on the second movie and saying "Maybe we'll get to the others." To me, the Xenomorph is the rock star of this license to casual buyers, I think there's a lot more potential mileage to get out of this property, I just don't want to see DST overlook a great opportunity.

Plus, if they get Predator....

I think this set holds up next to the BTTF, Rocky and Good/Bad/Ugly sets.

And like BTTF and Rocky, it definitely does deserve some supplemental figures via 2-packs if nothing else IMO.

The ALIEN film franchise should really be DST's next tent-pole license, right up there with Marvel and Walking Dead. In fact the line should be able to planned very similarly to Walking Dead. Just treat the Xeno as a zombie and pack variations of them with humans throughout the various waves. Throw an egg and either a facehugger or chestburster in each pack for good measure.

200.gif

Uh, I meant Mister PL's idea to put out/announce/exclusivize/whatever he was suggesting we do with the two box sets simultaneously has sailed. Or the idea to put Ripley and the Alien in two different sets to make them sell better. Also sailed. The set is coming out. Another Alien set has not been designed yet, that I know of.

Think of Alien/Aliens as one license. You may not want to, but it is. We've got a case of single packs, a box set, and a series of two-packs planned and shown before a single thing has come out. I think that's a pretty good variety of products, and a lot of figures/characters. We may even do more two-packs and ancillary products, eventually. Will they be from Alien, instead of Aliens? I have no clue. Right now, I'd say no, but never say never.

The Miramax movies are a different beast, entirely. Pulp Fiction, Sin City and Kill Bill (which is TWO movies, BTW) each have three or more distinctly different stories and/or character groups. Each movie is like three mini-movies. We always planned to do it this way, while you guys didn't even know we HAD Alien until after we had announced Aliens.

Now, you CAN compare Alien/Aliens to the View Askewniverse. We've planned a couple of Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back sets and two two-packs, but only a single Clerks set, one comic-based two-pack (looks first seen in Chasing Amy, BTW) and one non-movie-specific two-pack (with two icons who played a big role in Dogma). Maybe we'll do more Clerks, but we never promised anybody we would. If anybody feels betrayed by this revelation that the Alien set was a bonus to the Aliens license, and not an entirely separate line of Minimates, I apologize.

Feel free to ask DSTChuck for more Alien '79 Minimates via Ask DST (http://www.artasylum.com). As far as I can see, nobody has. NOBODY. I see a letter about a Nostromo vehicle, but we haven't even said we're definitely making any vehicles yet.

I think I'm just more puzzled than anything that outside of doing a box set or two pack that are strictly Alien they seem to be of the opinion at DST that there's no other way to get these characters out, I feel like I offered two very realistic and reasonable options if they wanted to continue. My question is more why DST seems to be so reluctant to pursue the first movie as part of the overall license, when I feel like it is just as popular as the second? And also I think that casual buyers aren't going to draw as big a distinction between the two movies, they see the Alien itself and will pick one up, I don't think that the movie it's based upon is going to be a dealbreaker. I would like to see DST look at this property as an overall universe, where everything has a place, instead of focusing on the second movie and saying "Maybe we'll get to the others." To me, the Xenomorph is the rock star of this license to casual buyers, I think there's a lot more potential mileage to get out of this property, I just don't want to see DST overlook a great opportunity.

Plus, if they get Predator....

Valo, I never said there was no way to get the characters out, just that we had no active plans to do so. Your options were to make sets that have characters from two different movies in them, and to make an army dump with 8 multiples of the exact same xenomorph, who only really had one look in the film. I doubt the licensor would think either idea was realistic or reasonable. (I don't even know if I personally like the idea, not that I matter.) And keep in mind, this forum is the home of people who don't want 616 Marvel characters in a two-pack with Ultimate Marvel. :)

And clearly, people DO draw a distinction between the two movies, as they want Alien Minimates specifically -- more Aliens Minimates is not an adequate substitute, even though that movie has more xenomorphs, which according to you are the selling point of the line. We're trying to focus on one of the most colorful and varied parts of the universe, with legitimate army-builders in the form of more varied xenomorphs that actually appear in large numbers on screen, but people here want specific human characters in grey jumpsuits and maybe some invented variations on a single xeno. I mean, want those characters, too, but if their undetermined fate is going to affect your appreciation of the Aliens line, then would we have been better off not making an Alien set at all? Seems like it.

Can I just send Chuck a link to this thread? smile.png

He'll call us all ridiculous (myself included), but go ahead.

Tell me who the members are who want Marvel 616 with Ultimate, so I can ban them. stick.gif Kidding.

It seems the hysteria with the Alien box set is that we may never see the rest of the crew. Who knows, maybe we will...

Feel free to ask DSTChuck for more Alien '79 Minimates via Ask DST (http://www.artasylum.com). As far as I can see, nobody has. NOBODY. I see a letter about a Nostromo vehicle, but we haven't even said we're definitely making any vehicles yet.

Since you've clearly gone native here, does DST's Facebook page carry any weight at all with Chuck? Because I've seen a few comments there requesting/expecting a second Alien set.

But I'll ask DST anyway.

For a second Alien box set you could have three crew members and a version of the big chap where he is down on all fours so we could then have a crawling version of him since that is what he is seen doing most of the time in the movie. Man that was quite the run on sentence.