UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone had a cardboard (I think) version of this at C2E2. It looked to be in scale with the Neca figures.

That's one of the reasons I loved Galoob toys. There was always something hidden in each design, something for the collector to discover that wasn't called out onthe packaging.

2013-02-01174350_zps65a1cc1b.jpg

I also loved that the Micro Machines APC fit inside the ramp of the Action Fleet Drop Ship. Then there's the stuff that got cancelled. sad.png

actionfleetjordan.jpg

outer3.jpg

The more baffling thing about the Aliens merchandise was that they were released several years after the film came and went. That, plus the clear targeting of kids just made that one a head scratcher. . .but I bought some of those as a kid laugh.png

gb21a30f4.jpg

I do get it, though. I mean, selling adult themed products to kids is almost as strange as kid themed products being sold to adults. . .or girl themed products being sold to boys. . .but for all those things, as least we can say they're a long, long way from selling girl, kid themed products to adult men. That would just be the weirdest thing ever.

gb21a30f4.jpg

I do get it, though. I mean, selling adult themed products to kids is almost as strange as kid themed products being sold to adults. . .or girl themed products being sold to boys. . .but for all those things, as least we can say they're a long, long way from selling girl, kid themed products to adult men. That would just be the weirdest thing ever.

... well played. Weeeeeellllll plaaaayed...

Sometimes it's an aspirational thing. Young consumers generally trend older, wanting the same things their older siblings do just to keep up. Manufacturers can label the product any way they want but it's usually up to parent to approve or veto the purchase. And if they're unaware of the movie and the toys themselves aren't offensive, parents aren't going to think twice about a generic-sounding toyline called "Aliens." (A line called "Geriatric Cannibalistic Nazi Sodomites" might get their attention, though.)

On the flip side, I'm pretty sure most of us can appreciate buying product aimed at children. I jumped back onto the action figure bandwagon with Kenner's Super Powers Collection. Bought a Batman figure just as silly dorm decor, then I had to have a Robin to go with him. Then it was, "Well, might as well round out the original Super Friends" and it was all downhill from there. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

As for guys who collect little girl toys? If Minimates are plastic crack, that's a fetish. tongue.png

or can we...

bronies_zpsd28b31be.jpg