UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimates are definitely not considered likenesses. But I'm not sure we were trying extra hard to avoid Lugosi's likeness by using the teeth, so much as trying extra-hard to convey he was a vampire.

Not to re-open a sore spot, but a second '79 Alien set has not been planned, so John Hurt may be a moot point.

It totally is, but I suppose you could both be right as John Hurt in a pressure-suit is presently unplanned! Something I hope gets rectified very soon (just shortly after Dallas, Lambert, Ash, and Brent see release).

Edited by cdubya

Unfortunately, in pointedly asking Chuck at the booth, he said they would not use a larger Minimate body for the Queen. He essentially said that an extra size would be conveyed with a larger head sculpt....

I did not ask about the Power Loader.

These all look amazing in person. I was a little surprised that the Alien set did not come with a Chest Burster, as that is a big part of the movie, but I think I will make do with the rest we are getting .

This line cannot get here fast enough!!!

I did ask Chuck about the Power Loader as he & I packed up all the Minimate prototypes after the show (.....see what I did there?) .

I am sworn to secrecy about the chances of getting one .

Anybody wanna buy my kubrick loaders ?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Minimates are definitely not considered likenesses. But I'm not sure we were trying extra hard to avoid Lugosi's likeness by using the teeth, so much as trying extra-hard to convey he was a vampire.

Not to re-open a sore spot, but a second '79 Alien set has not been planned, so John Hurt may be a moot point.

Universal created a generic vampire with fangs specifically because Lugosi's likeness rights were third-party and not included with under any Universal agreements.

And that sore spot will never heal until a second Alien set completes the crew.

Unfortunately, in pointedly asking Chuck at the booth, he said they would not use a larger Minimate body for the Queen. He essentially said that an extra size would be conveyed with a larger head sculpt....

That sucks. Now I'm picturing an Alien Queen bobble head.

Assuming folks have it, I think the Kubrick queen will be a fine stand-in for the lack of a Minimate one, or for a bobble headed Minimate version, should it come to that.

I'm not trying to pick on Chuck here, but if that's really the plan, I think that is a remarkably bad decision.

I'm sure his argument would be, "Well, we're not tooling a 6-foot body for the Godzilla line and people are still pretty jazzed about that."

I can see trying to get away with leg and arm extensions to make the Queen look a lot bigger than her drones but sticking to the 2-inch body out of principle alone seems kinda… yeah.

Once I actually see what AA comes up with, then I'll go off in one direction or another. Hopefully there's a compromise to be found. The rest of the line looks really good so far.

My counter argument would be that the entire Godzilla line is in a two inch scale, there's nothing for them to be in scale with but each other. Aliens on the other hand, has numerous humans that we know are significantly smaller than the Alien Queen. If the license forbids it, then that's fine, it's a fact we have to bear with the Marvel line too, but if they just chose to go that route, I think that's a very foolish choice.

Sorry, forgot we were doing Kane and not Dallas. Not positive the Alien set does NOT come with a chest burster. There was an extra one kicking around in the display case, it may have been Kane's.

The 2-inch body is the only one we can make now, for various reasons, so that's the reality. I'm sure the designers have already figured out how to make the Queen work, should we move ahead. They're kind of awesome that way.

Sorry, forgot we were doing Kane and not Dallas. Not positive the Alien set does NOT come with a chest burster. There was an extra one kicking around in the display case, it may have been Kane's.

My guess is it does come with Kane. That would fit his screaming facial expression, like the Kubrick figure.

My guess is it does come with Kane. That would fit his screaming facial expression, like the Kubrick figure.
That might be what his face looks like with an ovipositor shoved in it.

That might be what his face looks like with an ovipositor shoved in it.

It serves a dual use! Presumably the face would be hidden by the hugger when it was applied, but I'm sure the more OCD amongst us were smiling and nodding their heads at your post laugh.png I remember someone was joking about making sure the eyes on slipover masks matched up with the eyes on the head underneath, but I don't think that was really a joke.

I did ask Chuck about the Power Loader as he & I packed up all the Minimate prototypes after the show (.....see what I did there?) .

I am sworn to secrecy about the chances of getting one .

Anybody wanna buy my kubrick loaders ?

I may take you up on that offer (if you are serious), if the Queen is any indication of what we might receive. I might be more satisfied with Kubricks'.

My counter argument would be that the entire Godzilla line is in a two inch scale, there's nothing for them to be in scale with but each other. Aliens on the other hand, has numerous humans that we know are significantly smaller than the Alien Queen. If the license forbids it, then that's fine, it's a fact we have to bear with the Marvel line too, but if they just chose to go that route, I think that's a very foolish choice.

Agreed. It's been done this way in the past (Takara's Microman AVP comes to mind), and the result was a peg-warmer that collectors didn't feel compelled to bother with. I'm willing to bet that the success of this particular line (equal if not surpassing Ghostbuster 'mates) warrants reevaluation and the risk.

Stack those torsos, yo! Make that bitch tall!

After seeing what the designers have come up with using parts from 2-inch bodies in other lines, I've got faith. So long as we don't get a 2-inch bobble head...

I do too MPL, I just fear that the designers' limitations may be too great this time. Speaking of "bobble-heads", I might actually prefer a 5" static bobble-mate (with 'mates proportions, ala Stay-puft bank.) for display purposes over what it sounds like we might be getting.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, as all of the 'mates shown have exceeded my expectations. It sounds like DST is as well. I just really think that they are going to have to make an exception and think-outside-the-box (no pun intended) from previous Vehicle- mates releases to make these work successfully (which let's face-it, based on past sales, wouldn't be a bad idea). It will be far too easy for Chuck to turn and say: "I told you they wouldn't sell", if a sub-par product that only a handful of completionists will want gets released. I realize that we as fans have nothing to lose and can dream without limitations of budget (etc.), but I suspect what makes us happy (translating into more sales and new fans) will also make them happy!

Edited by cdubya

I think the design team might be able to come up with something that could work but I'm afraid any design would end up almost totally immobilized with all the extra parts or it would just collapse under its own weight. If that's what we would potentially be getting I would just as soon have a static figure.

I don't think it would be that hard to create a workable Queen using a regular body. If done like the Phoenix Killer armor using the regular mate arms as the smaller chest arms of the queen and a large "armor" body with main arm attachment points like Ultron with the queen's head attachment ball on the body like the Scorpion Battle beast rounded out with full bulked up legs and elongated boot feet. I could easily see a queen at four inches with that type of design the real problem would be in fitting such a monstrosity into a standard sized two pack so she would likely have to be in a larger four pack, say with battle damaged Bishop, final battle Ripley, and over sized accessory Ovipositter (similar to the Universal Mummy Sarcophagus.

Have a little faith, chaps. This design team, turned a basic 2" body into Modok, Hulkbuster IronMan, Brood, Scorpions, and Spiders. Oh My! :0

I'm reasonably sure that the Queen will look great if they get a chance to produce her.

"And thus did the two Robs -- Rob of the Far Isles, friend of the fool, and Rob of the North, keeper of the six black tomes -- undo Minimates, with their tales and treachery. With visions of malformed Minimates implanted in their minds, the denizens of the Multiverse did hence rename their land the Krazy Kubrick Kubiverse, and many early logos were rejected. "

- The Book of Minimates, Update '80s