UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
MisterPL

The Alien™ Franchise

Salaak was produced ten years ago ...would he have been the first Minimate with a non-cylindrical moulded head ? 

That's possible. Venom had that tongue but it was just an add-on to the standard head. Salaak might have been the first to require a completely sculpted noggin. DC Direct really pushed Minimates forward in terms of R&D.

On 10/12/2018 at 3:57 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Salaak was produced ten years ago ...would he have been the first Minimate with a non-cylindrical moulded head ? 

When was the Silence of the Lambs set released? Both Hannibal heads were sculpted.

According to the MMDB (hail Ivan) the SOL set was released on the 25th June 2008 whilst the Salaak (DC8) set was released on the 11th June 2008 :rolleyes:

I shan't pretend that I knew that until I checked .  

Per Ask DST #406:

DSTChuck: At this time we are not planning more Aliens or Predator MM.

I blame TRU's collapse. Specialty sales obviously aren't enough to justify continuing the 4-packs and there aren't many big-box retailers who'd jump at the chance to offer toys based on critters that rape your face, lay eggs down your throat, burst from your chest, and prey on your companions. 

That said, Target and FYE both seem interested in catering to the adult collector but they'd each probably want to start from scratch, not pick up where the line left off. While I'd be fine with some creative overlapping of key characters (For example, Aliens Ripley with a different facial expression) I imagine most other collectors would only be interested in newer stuff or old items they may have missed out on.

Damn.

Edited by MisterPL

Sad that this line should end not only without a clean Bishop but having barely touched on Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, and Prometheus. Minimates based on Alien: Isolation seemed promising and I love what NECA's doing with the old Kenner designs.

Hopefully DST will be able to find a viable retailer to continue the line.

Here's the frustrating part, they are 2 releases away from a complete line of main characters for arguably the most popular film in the series, Bishop and Ferro.

I don't understand how DST can't just release one last Army Dump with Aliens and these final characters to wrap up the line.  The first Army Dump was specialty only and sold through, so losing TRU doesn't apply as the Army Dump was released a good 10 months prior to the first TRU wave.  They wouldn't even need any new tooling for these characters.  Just give the Alien Warriors a blue/black tint as a variant, include Bishop, Ferro, and a Ripley variant and call it done.

No thanks. I already have something like 30 Aliens, I don't need any more. Which I suspect is part of the problem, most of the line was the same figure with minor variations over and over and over. If DST could give us something new, like properly done Kenner Aliens, then maybe you'd have something, but we all know that's not happening. It's disappointing with everything that was produced we end up two figures short of what we need to make the line feel complete.

Completing Minimate lines ?

I'm convinced that if DST were to produce a line of Nativity Minimates we'd only end up with 2 Wise Men .

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm convinced that if DST were to produce a line of Nativity Minimates we'd only end up with 2 Wise Men .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

But we would get three variant angels and a glow-in-the-dark sheep.

Disappointing news.

I've just got hold of the last few Predator minimates I needed. Guess my DST spending will now go into hypersleep.