UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/12/2018 at 3:57 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Salaak was produced ten years ago ...would he have been the first Minimate with a non-cylindrical moulded head ? 

When was the Silence of the Lambs set released? Both Hannibal heads were sculpted.

• 2 months later...

Per Ask DST #406:

DSTChuck: At this time we are not planning more Aliens or Predator MM.

I blame TRU's collapse. Specialty sales obviously aren't enough to justify continuing the 4-packs and there aren't many big-box retailers who'd jump at the chance to offer toys based on critters that rape your face, lay eggs down your throat, burst from your chest, and prey on your companions. 

That said, Target and FYE both seem interested in catering to the adult collector but they'd each probably want to start from scratch, not pick up where the line left off. While I'd be fine with some creative overlapping of key characters (For example, Aliens Ripley with a different facial expression) I imagine most other collectors would only be interested in newer stuff or old items they may have missed out on.

Damn.

Edited by MisterPL

Sad that this line should end not only without a clean Bishop but having barely touched on Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, and Prometheus. Minimates based on Alien: Isolation seemed promising and I love what NECA's doing with the old Kenner designs.

Hopefully DST will be able to find a viable retailer to continue the line.

Here's the frustrating part, they are 2 releases away from a complete line of main characters for arguably the most popular film in the series, Bishop and Ferro.

I don't understand how DST can't just release one last Army Dump with Aliens and these final characters to wrap up the line.  The first Army Dump was specialty only and sold through, so losing TRU doesn't apply as the Army Dump was released a good 10 months prior to the first TRU wave.  They wouldn't even need any new tooling for these characters.  Just give the Alien Warriors a blue/black tint as a variant, include Bishop, Ferro, and a Ripley variant and call it done.

No thanks. I already have something like 30 Aliens, I don't need any more. Which I suspect is part of the problem, most of the line was the same figure with minor variations over and over and over. If DST could give us something new, like properly done Kenner Aliens, then maybe you'd have something, but we all know that's not happening. It's disappointing with everything that was produced we end up two figures short of what we need to make the line feel complete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anyone be interested in a 40th Anniversary box set that included the entire crew of the Nostromo and a Big Chap? Kinda like that Iron Man 10-pack.

Personally I'd prefer a Dropship with a clean Bishop and a Ferro but I'm sure DST would insist it's the anniversary of the first movie, not the sequel. ?

i think the only thing that would catch my interest would be if they did something like what neca is doing -- re-using the hasbro toy concepts.

i'm guessing too many new molds would make this cost prohibitive.  what neca did w/ terminator, alien(s), predator,  & avp is freaking right up minimate dreams!

10 minutes ago, nandoninny said:

i think the only thing that would catch my interest would be if they did something like what neca is doing -- re-using the hasbro toy concepts.

i'm guessing too many new molds would make this cost prohibitive.  what neca did w/ terminator, alien(s), predator,  & avp is freaking right up minimate dreams!

My thoughts exactly. I'd love to get that stuff but you can't cheap out like they did with the Kenner Predators, so there's probably no chance it will happen.

Unless it's a unique sculpt I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy another Xeno.

It just kills me that DST skips these franchise milestone anniversaries. They did it with Star Trek and are doing it again with Alien. 

I’m actually good with everything we got from Alien. That aspect of the line feels more than complete. It’s all the other films in the franchise that are either barely touched Alien 3, Resurrection, Prometheus...) or are one SKU away from being completed (Aliens).

Getting a retailers’ attention is key and an anniversary year helps. In the absence of a “greatest hits” assortment, maybe a box set or two could make for a decent jumping on point for newbies. 

My LCS LOVES xenos so maybe youbastard is onto something. Do a bunch of Aliens (maybe the way Kenner did) in a package that looks like a hive. Include one Kenner Ripley homage. The rest are xenos, eggs, and maybe a skittering facehugger. 

A complimentary set would include Colonial Marines. The box would look like the Sulaco and include a clean Bishop, Ferro (to attract veteran collectors) and alternate versions of other grunts. 

Happy 40th. 

6 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Would anyone be interested in a 40th Anniversary box set that included the entire crew of the Nostromo and a Big Chap? Kinda like that Iron Man 10-pack.

Personally I'd prefer a Dropship with a clean Bishop and a Ferro but I'm sure DST would insist it's the anniversary of the first movie, not the sequel. ?

As long as they would be variants in some way from the full crew I already have. 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:57 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Salaak was produced ten years ago ...would he have been the first Minimate with a non-cylindrical moulded head ? 

Sorry for the off-topic necro but what about the Leader?

PS Thanks DST for getting us so many of these beloved characters. Alien and Predator minimates were among my biggest wants since I started collecting.

Edited by cylonchaney
PS

On 12/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Completing Minimate lines ?

I'm convinced that if DST were to produce a line of Nativity Minimates we'd only end up with 2 Wise Men .

How did I miss this epic burn?

It's epic because it's true.

They always leave something waiting in the wings to anchor the next assortment but as we've seen time and time again there are no guarantees. In all fairness, this time I blame TRU. Still, it would have been nice for DST to at least TRY to offer another assortment to retailers.

What I do know is that with Alien and Predator going away, I'm buying far fewer Minimates.