UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

In Zach's and DST's defense for this, at the panel at C2E2, a question was asked about the difficulty of getting actor's likeness rights for the figures and Zach said that they don't need the rights because they are making figures based off of characters, not actors.

That being said, I think the Ripley figures are perfect, because they look like Ellen Ripley, not Sigourney Weaver. Dana Barrett is different because I can say that she needed more Weaver likeness for her character.

I'm not saying that all you guys wanting different heads and hairs for your Ripley figures are just plain idiots for not seeing this, I'm just making it clear that DST does what they need to and very rarely does it not work.

And for the record, I would also love a longer hair piece for Alien Ripley biggrin.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Dutton was kind of a big deal back in the day. In real life he spent ten years in prison (seven for manslaughter) but managed to turn his life around and get roles on TV and Broadway. He was starring in Fox's comedy Roc when he filmed Alien3, for which he earned a Best Supporting Actor Saturn Awards nomination. Aside from Weaver, he was the only well known actor being featured in marketing the movie. Henrickson's role was hush-hush, as I recall.

I checked out the SDCC Big Chap and he's pretty cool.

The body tampo uses the same design as the box set Alien but is printed in a bright silver instead of gun metal grey. I haven't checked out the luminescence of the glow-in-the-dark paint on the head but the tampo itself is superior to the previous version.

My only beef is that the skull dome doesn't click into place. I understand why it's removable (to fully charge the GITD ink) but it does not want to stay in place. I have to deduct Toy Points from Gryffindor DST for that. Otherwise it's a great 'mate that makes me wish I had more characters from that flick.

Dome is removable because the original 1979 toy's dome was removable, a fact that did not occur to me at first. It doesn't click because the regular-release Big Chap did not need it to click, it was glued, and the tooling is the same.

GID should charge through the plastic, if you want to glue it in place.

Edited by DSTZach

Dome is removable because the original 1979 toy's dome was removable, a fact that did not occur to me at first.

I meant to reference that. I remember seeing that figure on the shelf at Bradlees back in the day and wishing it was smaller so it could go with my Star Wars figures. Now I'm wishing I'd bought all of them!

For what it's worth, Kenner's wasn't very play-friendly either. Both have terrific packaging though.

The reaction Aliens are the same way basically. Their domes click into place but they fall off easily too. However, I believe the SDCC Minimate is the first 1979 styled Alien to actually glow in the dark since the original one

Just wanted to recap the Aliens characters and who is left so we can speculate.

Apone - Series 1

Bishop

Burke - Dump Case

Crowe - Series 2

Dietrich - Series 1

Drake - Series 1

Ferro

Frost - Series 2

Gorman

Hicks - Series 1

Hudson - Series 2

Newt - Series 2

Ripley - Series 1 & 2

Spunkmeyer - Dump Case

Vasquez - Series 2

Wierzbowski - Dump Case

So after Series 2 we're just missing Bishop, Ferro and Gorman.

I'd say Bishop and Gorman will probably be each packed with an APC, Bishop with a "clean" version and Gorman with a "battle damaged" version. And Ferro of course will come with a Drop Ship.

OR

Bishop and Ferro each come with a Drop Ship (there were 2 of them in the film) and Gorman with the APC.

OR

Bishop gets shared between BOTH a Drop Ship and an APC since he drove both in the film (possibly one as a retailer exclusive?) and then Ferro/Drop Ship, Gorman/APC match ups.

When I asked Zach at SDCC about vehicles he would neither confirm nor deny (but in a way that lead me to be optimistic). But I believe he did mention that future Alien (1st movie) figures could be in the next series of 2-packs possibly rounding out that cast (the thinking being the 2-packs would encompass all the Alien films they have the license for). Which would leave Bishop, Ferro and Gorman out of the 2-pack mix and available to be packed with vehicles.

This is my own baseless random speculation but I'm pretty confident we'll get the 2 Aliens vehicles.

And to recap the Alien crew and speculate...

Ash

Brett - 4-pack

Dallas

Kane - 4-pack

Lambert

Parker - 4-pack

Ripley - 4-pack

So we need Dallas, Ash and Lambert in their regular crew uniforms. We also need Dallas, Kane and Lambert in their space suits and Ripley in her escape shuttle space suit. That's 7 figures. Double up on Space Suit Ripley (possibly with cryo-sleep parts underneath?) to go with one of these as an exclusive and you've got a nice 8 figure series

Dallas / Space Suit Ripley

Ash / Space Suit Lambert

Space Suit Kane / Lambert

Space Suit Dallas / Space Suit Ripley

I'm not entirely sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this, but since we're getting the power loader and Alien Queen in deluxe sets, what is the chance of this happening to other liscences? I'd really like to see a deluxe Giant Man, or an official RV for Dale. Even a motorcycle for Ghost Rider would be nice.

For Marvel there's zero chance because the license doesn't allow it. I don't know if Chuck's said much about vehicles and larger figures for anything besides Aliens but it seems like something they stay away from unless there's a lot of demand.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Perhaps we could get some Vinylmates of the larger Marvel characters, even though I doubt that's not allowed either.