UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates not getting the spotlight?

MiniMage

So Pedro Davilla posted this picture on our facebook page:

1236549_10152188139750278_1001936605_n.j

And said: "Is anyone else annoyed with these Lego covers? I wish Marvel had done them to celebrate 10 years of Minimates. Am I alone?"

Personally, this sort of made me realize something. Does Marvel really even care about the "Minimates" toy line? I mean it's been around for 10 years and it hasn't really gotten any recognition from Marvel itself. Sure they post and update about polls and new releases but have they ever made a Minimate-inspired cover? No, I don't think so. Sure Lego has been around longer than Minimates have but the actual Marvel license for lego hasn't.

What do YOU think?

Whoops seemed to have double posted, I'm sorry. Mods feel free to remove one of the threads.

Edited by MiniMage

i think what annoys me most about lego and the movie/video game line is that you can't pose the figures how they are drawn. like ya they would be awesome if you could articulate them in action poses but they are basically stuck in an eyes-front, hands-down pose.

i think what annoys me most about lego and the movie/video game line is that you can't pose the figures how they are drawn. like ya they would be awesome if you could articulate them in action poses but they are basically stuck in an eyes-front, hands-down pose.

^ This.

Minimates are what many imagine Lego figures to be ( i know i imagined LEGO figures in this way as a 5 yr old). I realize that these images call upon one to see through the eyes of a child or to use their imagination but we live in a day and age where block figures actually *can* move as they are shown on print media covers.

Simply use the right block figure i.e. Minimates.

I think Peter David is aware of Minimates, or he was when I interviewed him about Series 43.

And yeah, covers are meant to drive sales, and there are more Lego collectors than Minimates collectors. The Lego name alone sells it. But we've got a pretty cool promotion coming up.

I think Peter David is aware of Minimates, or he was when I interviewed him about Series 43.

And yeah, covers are meant to drive sales, and there are more Lego collectors than Minimates collectors. The Lego name alone sells it. But we've got a pretty cool promotion coming up.

woot.gif .....tell me more............

Does Marvel really even care about the "Minimates" toy line?

Nope. And that's the long and the short of it. Marvel makes thousands of dollars off Minimates (I guess it could be hundreds of thousands, but I doubt it.) And Marvel Minimates are undoubtedly the flagship. But Lego? They make millions. So, no. Why should they care? They make enough money to justify the license, but not enough to do anything else.

I've noticed this as well.

Toys R Us is spotlighting two construction sets in their Top Toys of 2013 holiday list and stores are renovating (at least in my area) to feature sets from LEGO, Mega Bloks, and Kre-O. It seems like an endcap for Minimates would fit in nicely with this activity-themed planogram.

Unfortunately DST has done nothing to push the Minimates brand as anything but a collectible block figure. There's an entire play pattern that's being ignored on every promotional piece that Diamond packs into their product. I've read product reviews from newbies complaining that arms and legs come off not realizing that this might be an intentional and valuable part of the toy.

If it were up to me, DST would be pointing out that you're not only getting the two characters in each set but, by swapping parts, a number of variations as well. The "Best of" waves should be available at TRU to attract new collectors and advertised in the pages and websites of Marvel Comics boasting the ability to create "Spider-Hulk" or "Captain Thor" or whatever characters you can think of.

So yeah, both Marvel and TRU could be better partners but DST needs to start pushing the customizability of the product, encouraging consumers to make their own characters through multiple purchases.

Well, the Best Of waves were requested by Diamond Comics specifically for specialty, to give new retailers a jumping-on point -- we regularly put A-list characters at TRU anyway, and they have not asked for a Best Of.

Other than that, I don't disagree with what you're saying. Ads in Marvel comics are pricey, and I don't know what kind of discount we get as a licensee, but obviously that would be nice. And I'll look at upcoming waves and see what makes sense for us to hype alternate looks. We did it a little with Steve Rogers, but we could have done more.

As far as TRU spotlighting us goes, they order less of our product than of those others, so they obviously have to think about that when they decide what to spotlight.

And there's a reason they put us in the section we're in, and it's not because we haven't told them what Minimates can do. We aren't a construction brand, We have a block figure license, and we need to market ourselves a certain way, or it might infringe on other licenses. But there is some wiggle room, and I'm sure I could promote alternate looks more, but perhaps not more than that. It's a complicated issue -- the licensing agreement is not the same agreement we signed ten years ago, there are height restrictions and packaging restrictions -- and we owe a lot to Chuck for keeping this thing going for so long.

Thanks Chuck!

Part of the allure to me of Minimates is that they aren't a household name. With big name recognition sometimes comes a lot of trouble for collectors, look at Hasbro and Mattel for example. We don't have to worry about figure subscriptions, running changes in lines, difficult to obtain convention exclusives (other than the occasional promo), or figures that can only be obtained by purchasing something like digital comic subscriptions. While I would like to see some more exposure to the collector community, I think Minimates have been successful to date with the current marketing methods. It's a convenient toyline to collect, even with the TRU Exclusives taken into account.

In fact, I think DST could possibly make it easier to collect the line by just making all LCS cases "custom cases" and eliminating the 1-per-case variant standard cases. My understanding is that stores need to order certain volume to qualify for "custom cases", so if a low-volume shop only orders one or two cases, they may be stuck with 'mates that they can't move because the one-per-case pack is gone. However, if every case offered 3 full sets, then the shop may be more likely to sell all of the 'mates together in a set rather than be the single pack, and they always have the option to break the sets up and just sell them individually if they so desire. With how many different options there are for online purchases now (hell, you can buy Minimates direct from Amazon now, something that would have been unheard of 5 years ago), the one-per-case variant has become more of a hindrance than incentive for LCS stores.

My local TRU did a reset this week, and all Minimates are now in the "Collectibles" aisle, concentrated in one spot. Maybe this will allow a little cross-promotion of licenses. Once Tomb Raider and The Wolverine hit the shelves, it will be a nice little selection of Minimates in one convenient spot. Hopefully this is something that works in DST's favor and TRU will continue to stock them together in this manner.

Edited by youbastards

Ads in Marvel comics are pricey, and I don't know what kind of discount we get as a licensee, but obviously that would be nice.

Not long ago, taking out ads in Marvel Comics or on Marvel.com was mandatory for licensees. (At least it was part of our contract agreement.) The money was either spent on an ad or we'd just write a check since our company does no advertising at all. That policy might have changed post-Disney but you might want to look into whether DST is contractually paying for ad space they're not taking advantage of.

And there's a reason they put us in the section we're in, and it's not because we haven't told them what Minimates can do. We aren't a construction brand, We have a block figure license, and we need to market ourselves a certain way, or it might infringe on other licenses. But there is some wiggle room, and I'm sure I could promote alternate looks more, but perhaps not more than that. It's a complicated issue -- the licensing agreement is not the same agreement we signed ten years ago, there are height restrictions and packaging restrictions -- and we owe a lot to Chuck for keeping this thing going for so long.

That's what I thought. There's a fine line between constructing environments and constructing figures. One can argue that minifigs are accessories to construction sets but you sure don't want to raise a red flag between Marvel and Lego or Hasbro. I'm still surprised DST can offer Marvel Select and has managed to share licenses with Lego, Hasbro and Mega Bloks so, yes, Chuck's done a great job of playing "Operation" in that regard.

Part of the allure to me of Minimates is that they aren't a household name. With big name recognition sometimes comes a lot of trouble for collectors, look at Hasbro and Mattel for example. We don't have to worry about figure subscriptions, running changes in lines, difficult to obtain convention exclusives (other than the occasional promo), or figures that can only be obtained by purchasing something like digital comic subscriptions. While I would like to see some more exposure to the collector community, I think Minimates have been successful to date with the current marketing methods. It's a convenient toyline to collect, even with the TRU Exclusives taken into account.

In fact, I think DST could possibly make it easier to collect the line by just making all LCS cases "custom cases" and eliminating the 1-per-case variant standard cases. My understanding is that stores need to order certain volume to qualify for "custom cases", so if a low-volume shop only orders one or two cases, they may be stuck with 'mates that they can't move because the one-per-case pack is gone. However, if every case offered 3 full sets, then the shop may be more likely to sell all of the 'mates together in a set rather than be the single pack, and they always have the option to break the sets up and just sell them individually if they so desire. With how many different options there are for online purchases now (hell, you can buy Minimates direct from Amazon now, something that would have been unheard of 5 years ago), the one-per-case variant has become more of a hindrance than incentive for LCS stores.

Well put.

^^^This. It is absolutely a problem.

Thanks Chuck!

My local TRU did a reset this week, and all Minimates are now in the "Collectibles" aisle, concentrated in one spot. Maybe this will allow a little cross-promotion of licenses. Once Tomb Raider and The Wolverine hit the shelves, it will be a nice little selection of Minimates in one convenient spot. Hopefully this is something that works in DST's favor and TRU will continue to stock them together in this manner.

All this is absolutely true. I often say (to myself at least) that Minimates aren't difficult to collect. They aren't always easy, mind you, but they aren't difficult either. Even the TRU stuff eventually shows up on their web site and at most of their retail stores, which has never been the case with a lot of Mattel and Hasbro lines.

And I agree that the time for variants has probably passed. I started buying full sets from Luke simply because I wanted to make sure that I got the variant. Not that I mind giving my money to Luke, but I also like to buy from the local store to make sure that they keep ordering 'mates, y'know? I'd much rather see them drop the variants and go with 3-3-3-3 or 4-4-2-2 waves (since that would also net us an extra figure a wave).

Thanks Chuck!

I second this sentiment, I know I have mentioned this before. As an ex-retailer of 8 years I carried minimates heavily based on my love of the line and was able to sell it as such. Having to compete with online retailers who could sell complete sets thanks to "god cases" when I had more limited access to complete sets with my 1-per case variants was tough. I knew few Minimates fanatics who would buy their sets online since I could only guarantee a reserve for as many number of sets as I had case orders for (typical about 6 cases per wave). They felt bad since for many I was the one who turned them onto 'mates but they wanted a full set. I mentioned this to Chuck years ago at one of the DST retailer conferences at the home office. If DST really wants to improve their brick & mortar presence then even case ratios would be a big help! Might be too little too late at this point but with the right marketing approach it could work!