UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Would anybody be interested in a Heroclix base style sales model for minimates?

Polarboy

I don't know how many of you have seen these about but I just found out that Heroclix are doing hero bases,

What they have basically done have made the figures removable from the game bases and able to plug into specially created team bases.

WK_05_small_zps4d47fd6e.jpg

The bases themselves are generally team specific with heroclixs, and have a specific figure fitting in a specific hole, However if minimates were to adopt something like this I would imagine it would be best with six or so foot pegs that any figure can use. I wouldn't mind team specific ones (Inhumans on the moons surface) however I'm sure generic street scenes rooftops and forests would work as well. Of course an advantage of specific figure slots that can be explored is various power effects can be built into the base (Lightning bolts, fire, invisible shields etc).

wxmt001f_zps7133286b.jpg

The Heroclix ones come packaged with 3 figures the rest of the team available in the regular series. This could be an excellent way to get minimates of teams again like the Inhumans where retails might not be thrilled with a character like Crystal in a regular wave.

new-mutants_zpse5bcd1d2.jpg

I have not seen these at retail and have no idea what they cost and if this would be a factor against minimates doing something similar, however personally I think it would be a great way to get so good looking tiered displays of minimates.

26104new-mutants-team-base_lg_zpsf8609b9

So what do you all think?

1gold1_zpsc2a44a76.jpg

ExCalibir_00_large_zps6ccc03de.jpg

Wow, Clix have come a loooong way since I used to play. That said I don't think these would work for Minimates. I could see cardboard backdrops eventually being done but I think something like this probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Edited by bigvis497

Those sorts of bases for Minimates would be awesome, esp if they came with complete 'teams' so that you didn't have to hunt down the figures yourself. My guess is that it's one of those cost verses sales things that will never happen with mimimates.

Unless it's seriously expensive, I want that excalibur clix set...

T.

That's a really fantastic idea for Heroclix since the game bases make the individual characters kind of ugly to display. Not sure it would work for minimates though. Not just because of the cost of the display but also how it would be packaged: If the Inhumans are a tough sell as a boxset, is it going to be any easier to sell them packaged with a $20 piece of plastic?

I had forgotten about these. Only saw the Teen Titans one before. Pretty tempted to buy those X-Men related ones. So yes, I would buy these in minimates scale, but I also suspect DST's license would not cover. Maybe build-a-base pieces would then get around it a la Marvel Select danger room?

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously DST is allowed to offer bases with their Minimates. I'm just wondering how elaborate they can get before they become more than accessories.

Would anyone be interested in fully painted bases small enough to fit into a standard 2-pack? I'm thinking of a base that would take the place of a Minimate (so it's be a 1-pack) but could also interlock with other bases. Maybe they could combine to become a Danger Room or the rooftop of the Daily Bugle, something that could either sit on a desktop or hang on a wall.

Look how great the Imperial Guard translate into plastic. Just look at it...
smile.png

They're just two Comicon 4-packs away from being realized. [sigh]

I would be so incredibly up for that MPL, I love the idea of some kind of pack in base like what Select does and Legends used to do. Making them interlocking would be even more awesome. The danger room and roof top are great ideas.

I wonder if the possibility of a diorama/playset could be revisited, especially if it were able to cover licensed mates like Marvel. I think they might do well at TRU, maybe with a pack-in figure to go with it. I see quite a few lines with playsets right now, I just don't know how well they are selling.

• 5 weeks later...

some sort of partial ( jigsaw) peice of background 3" tall 2"wide might work out...and for certain teams i could see a rank power and strength set up for the general clix base....but i dont know if every body or hero would be worthy....and in a two pack theyd have to take the hit and treat it like an action base at regular two pack price

• 4 years later...
11 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

I know that they are smaller  than Mates but did anyone ever put a mate on this?

I've got one at home. I'll see if i can dig it out tonight and get a photo for you.

I'd imagine that they'd look really tiny. Heroclix are pretty small in comparison to 'mates.

But! I have found that some of the 3D objects work really well with them, and are in scale. Like the Eye of Agamotto and the Zodiac Key. I just cut them off their little bases, and they fit perfectly in a Minimate hand. The Fin Fang Foom toe also makes for a goofy prop

Having minimate scale diorama you could just buy would be awesome, but the way those heroclix work I wouldn't want that. Spaces specifically for the bases would look odd. Maybe if there was foot pegs all over that blended in with the environment. Ah, I'll just stick to making my own 

What if there were circular spots on the diorama where the bases could fit? Since most of the bases we get now are clear, it wouldn’t really look unsightly on the diorama. Plus you’d be able to display all sorts of things as some of the bases allow flight stands and stuff to be attached to them. 

i have team specific display pieces, tho nothing at all as cool as these. i'd love something similar, but think instead of specific character locations, they should just have foot holes. or, maybe not even foot holes, since not all feet are the same. maybe just individual pegs that stick up in random spots of the display. they'd figure it out. i think what they could do is sell it for $25, and we get the base and 2 mates specific to the base. the only thing is, i'd imagine you'd only get 2 maybe 3 mates on one display of Heroclix, so something much larger would be necessary. maybe a wave of three 2 packs, each with a base piece that could stand alone but also connect to another. if we're doing a wave $25 might be kinda spendy per pack... but would y'all cough up $20 a pack for something like this?