UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dump Cases are Returning!

Yeah baby!!

As Zach mentioned in the Marvel w51 thread, Dump Cases are returning! Not for Marvel at this particular time, but for at least one unspecified line. Since I'm pretty sure it's not going to be for an in-house DST property like Battle Beasts or MAX (which MAX would be awesome, don't get me wrong), I suspect it will be for a licensed property.

Best guesses?

Aliens

The Walking Dead

Star Trek (not likely, but a fan can dream, right?)

Marvel - Maybe in the future per Zach

Aliens makes a great choice, since Terminator got a dump pack back in the day. I don't care how many 2-packs I buy, I don't think I'll ever be able to get enough Xenomorphs! And I certianly don't mind having extra Colonial Marines to battle them :)

TWD is another great choice - so many Survivors and their alt looks. Plus Zach mentioned that not having more Survivors in wave 1 felt like a missed opportunity, so here's a great way to get some made that doesn't necessarily have to be tied together in terms of the story's timeline. Plus, Zombies! This is a great way to get out more zombies, and not feel like we're missing out by having more Survivors than zombies in the 2-packs. But TWD is a line that can support multiple waves of dump cases if sales support it.

Star Trek - total wish, not even likely to happen but damn would I buy multiple cases :)

Marvel - Let's all hope this happens! Classic comic versions, not movie versions of course. Mix factions in the same box, so it's not just ALL Shield OR Hydra OR AIM for example. This would help sales more than solid cases except in the rarest of cases. That way we can get things like a Cosmic dump case with Skrulls, Shi'ar, and Kree. Each case has maybe three of each army builder and one commander or rare army builder variant (i.e heavy armor Skrull, Lillandra & Deathbird?) Lillandra might be a tough sell in a 2-pack, but in a case she works great as an army leader! (better than never getting made at all, right?) Or how about 3 Shield, AIM & Hydra army builders with the rares being Bob the Hydra Goon, Sharon Carter and Heavy Armor AIM soldier or a scientist? And of course, how about Foes of the X-Men? Sentinels, Reavers, Phalanx? Maybe even heavy on the Sentinel variants with a few rare X-Men like Moira McTaggart, maybe Dark Beast, along with Senator Kelly?

In any case, I'm just thrilled that Dump Cases are coming back! I love having a different format besides 2-packs and 4-packs to get more minimates, and the possibilities are endless! And in the case of Marvel, it shouldn't cannibalize sales of the 2-packs if you mix a dump case with say AIM, Shield & Hydra, then have a 2-pack army builder include another variant like a heavy armor version or whatever. Maybe even dump cases as a Best Of army builder series?

It's gotta be Aliens. That's a natural fit.

The Walking Dead doesn't make sense because all the characters are unique, even the walkers. There's not much army-building potential there.

Star Trek's uniforms make anyone an army-builder. It's possible but unlikely. (I share your dream, though.)

Then again, a dump case at the register might not just be for army-builders. It could be a way to test Minimates as an impulse purchase in a venue like TRU.

There are a lot of possibilities. So long as they don't blind-box them.

You see Shane, once I have them in-hand, I won't want to sell them. That's the real problem laugh.png

And no, I would rather them not exist at all than to be sold like this!!! Seriously though, I'm excited about Aliens. We need more info!

Edited by karamazov80

You see Shane, once I have them in-hand, I won't want to sell them. That's the real problem laugh.png

And no, I would rather them not exist at all than to be sold like this!!! Seriously though, I'm excited about Aliens. We need more info!

I know exactly how you feel. However, if we get one or two Marines, we are all going to want the full set...

I say Spunkmeyer should be the chase. That or maybe wounded Hicks.

Burke would be great for something like this. Only problem is we'll have to contend with all those crazy Mad About You collectors coming out of the woodwork to join the forum. Battle damaged Bishop should also find his way into the line somewhere.

Edited by karamazov80

BD Bishop? Pull off the legs and pelvis and dip him in milk or mayonnaise... what too soon? tongue.png

Yeah, Spoilers, man! We don't discuss anything less than 50 years old! Some people haven't seen it yet!

Now, can we get back to discussing Wizard of Oz? I'd swear if you look at just the right moment, you can see part of Dorothy's ankle! Scandalous!

Now that Shanester brought up Aliens, I want to share something about Alien.

When Bilbo was "dismantled", a large part of the props in that scene making up the organic parts of his robot body were inflated foley catheters! I noticed it for the first time the other day on Blu Ray, and it wasn't something I would have known as a kid when I first saw it. I don't think I'll ever be able to take that scene seriously again. :)

Right, so we're officially calling them the wrong thing. Got it. thumbsup.gif But considering we've called them Dump Cases since the Cylon waves (Actually, I think Chuck may have coined the term. Someone want to check? NR? Hello? Where'd she run off to again?) I don't see that changing any time soon. tongue.png

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I would love for a dump case of Star Trek mates. Could be army builders for Romulans, Klingons, Ferengi, Vorta and several other Aliens. Could also have a few red shirts (with different heads and hair) for TOS army builder and a few gold shirts (with different heads and hair) for TNG army builder and then could have some gold dressed females from TOS, and for kicks have Troi in her TNG minidress from the first episode and also her in the lavendar outfit she wore alot in the first two seasons. Could also have a slew so different borg drones and throw in Janeway and Picard as borg for kicks as well.

I would like to see this Dump Case/Counter Display show up in my area as I never have seen anything like it at any store in are.

I don't think Chuck invented "dump":

https://www.google.com/search?q=dump+display&client=firefox-a&hs=IaF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Z2IzUpyKKq7l4AOmmYH4CQ&ved=0CDkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=621&dpr=1

But it seems to cover a variety of different freestanding containers to hold and display products, including those cardboard face-out towers at book stores -- we were developing one of those at one point. So we use it instead of "countertop display," beause "dump" is shorter.